Wife looking for a3

James811

Reaction score
Hey. I recently posted in the a5 forum as I'm looking for an a5 3.0tdi. My wife is also looking at an a3 2.0tdi. It's a 60 plate with 70k on the clock. What should we be looking out for?

James

Check out the the FAQs section at top of this section.

You should be looking for petrol cars these days, DERV's are becoming a pain in the neck to repair and gradually being demonised by the government especially if you live in a city.

Reactions: Sandra
That will be a nice, modern, smooth common rail diesel with no known or suspected mechanical issues. At that age and mileage you would expect the cam belt to have been changed (on the Audi 5-year qualification) at which time it is advisable to change the water pump as well.

Ps do not take 100% notice of petrol heads who like to drive around in plastic bath tubs :haha:

Reactions: SootySport and ab1702
That will be a nice, modern, smooth common rail diesel with no known or suspected mechanical issues. At that age and mileage you would expect the cam belt to have been changed (on the Audi 5-year qualification) at which time it is advisable to change the water pump as well.

Ps do not take 100% notice of petrol heads who like to drive around in plastic bath tubs :haha:

Haha brilliant!!
I agree.

@James811 if I were you I'd just educate your mrs on the dpf of a diesel as if she's going to be driving steady all the time or doing lots of short journeys then it's going to become blocked up which is the norm for any modern diesel these days and a potentially expensive fix.

Last edited:
Dont see many diesel Rolls Royce, Bentley or Ferrari`s about do you, plastic bath tub?, that makes a diesel a fragile fiberglass tub, lol :end of discction:

Haha brilliant!!
I agree.

@James811 if I were you I'd just educate your mrs on the dpf of a diesel as if she's going to be driving steady all the time or doing lots of short journeys then it's going to become blocked up which is the norm for any modern diesel these days and a potentially expensive fix.

Just tell her to thrash it every now again.

Reactions: Retroman