Buying A3 for wife, any pointers?

MFM

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an A3 for the wife. She hasn't been driving that long so nothing too sporty that will kill her insurance and road tax.

I found a 2011 1.4 tfsi which I think is perfect for her. Only thing is, it's got 90k miles on the clock. She does quite a bit of mileage herself so would this be a problem or are the petrol engines good for a lot of miles?

I'd ideally like something low mileage, but it will almost certainly be out of my budget.

Not sure whether cambelt has been done but will check.

Hi,
if she is doing a lot of miles i would suggest a small diesel.

I'm running a 2004 2.0TDI and the mpg is brilliant.. around 44 in town and 62 on motorway (based on actual calculations)
does have a fair bit of poke to it too...

What is your budget?

Hi,
if she is doing a lot of miles i would suggest a small diesel.

I'm running a 2004 2.0TDI and the mpg is brilliant.. around 44 in town and 62 on motorway (based on actual calculations)
does have a fair bit of poke to it too...

What is your budget?

£7k. Maybe £8k at a stretch.

Reason I don't want a diesel is because we have a fleet of Audi/VW/Skoda company cars, all diesel, and the amount of problems we have is unreal.

Anyone else? I'm going to look at the 1.4 tfsi today and was told this particular engine has problems.

Can anyone confirm please?

Anyone else? I'm going to look at the 1.4 tfsi today and was told this particular engine has problems.

Best of doing a forum and Google search. It will reveal any problems

Sorry I can't help further, I've got a diesel

The wife has had a seat leon 1.4 tsi on an 11 plate (same engine as audi) I think:think: anyway it was a "sweet" little engine never had any problems with it.Just traded it in for the new shape leon with the 1.4 engine. This one has an extra 20bhp on the old one:racer:...Just had a quick look on autotrader and found a 58 plate 1.4 sport for £7500 with 59,000mls on the clock (facelift model)..ps stay away from the 1.6 engined cars (very underpowered) had one for three years hated every journey in it:(

I took the A3 above for a test drive today and bought it at the same time. It is absolutely immaculate. Like a brand new car. Not a single ding, scratch or mark on it.

It actually belonged to someone at an Audi dealership who must have done rep work or something as most of the miles are motorway miles. So I'm not worried in the least about the above average mileage. The car is clearly looked after. And it has full Audi service history.

Hopefully it will be a good one.