Audi Connect Google Earth

Thundercliffe81

Reaction score
Hi all.

Probably been asked before but ordered my B9 S4 Avant recently and I'm wondering if Google Earth for Virtual cockpit etc is available only through utilising your handsets data allowance.

The S4 comes with 36 months of Audi Connect subscription. Does it not use that for the Google Earth data?

Cheers guys.

R

Google Earth works fine via the embedded SIM - as does traffic etc. However what is absent is the Google streetview functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I'm sure I've managed to get `Street View` working on mine.

Street View works but only when you're static and not driving. Press the pad down in the centre console when you're in the Nav screen and then you can move the cross hair to a street and zoom right in until it shows the street view.

Reactions: maui, Thundercliffe81 and Rob_F
Yeah unfortunately despite being advertised as such, streetview does NOT work when mobile (although in the US it does!). Streetview only shows you destination and only then when static.

To my surprise, I recently noticed my SatNav show streetview in a window whilst I was driving. I don't know why it did it but I thought it was a pointless thing for it to do.

Thanks for the insight everyone :salute:

I can see why street view is only a static tool. I imagine it's a safety aspect as, let's be honest, a lot of people are going to be going "Ooooooh, look at the street view" whilst driving and then crashing! Cool reference feature for destinations though.

Reactions: Kestrel
How do you get to streetview anyhow? I've not seen any option when I've been scrolling around?

How do you get to streetview anyhow? I've not seen any option when I've been scrolling around?

See post 4.

Reactions: maui
Regarding Audi Connect, I have just bought an approved used vehicle about 6 months old. One of the options with the vehicle was the 3 year Audi Connect package however I can't seem to get it working.

Should the car have a SIM card inserted in the section in the glove box?

Thanks

If it's 6 months old it's likely it's an MY16 car, which did not include a SIM as standard, you will need to procure your own and insert into slot in glovebox.

Many people purchase the Three 12GB prepaid SIM to get going, which is pretty good value. That way you also get the tethering capability!

If it's 6 months old it's likely it's an MY16 car, which did not include a SIM as standard, you will need to procure your own and insert into slot in glovebox.

Many people purchase the Three 12GB prepaid SIM to get going, which is pretty good value. That way you also get the tethering capability!

Thanks.

Is that even if the optional extra of Audi Connect for 3 years has been chosen upon purchasing the car?

For that year - yes, the 3 year tech pack just covered the licenses.
The embedded SIM was included on MY17 and licensed for the same period as the MMI option purchased.

The embedded SIM was included on MY17 and licensed for the same period as the MMI option purchased.

Ah makes sense, thanks for your help.

Reactions: maui

Hi.

What data allowance does the embedded sim have?

Hi.

What data allowance does the embedded sim have?

It doesn't. The caveat being you can only use the data for Audi connect, traffic and Google Maps. If you want to use it for tethering, which will be data intensive, you then have to pay for a subscription