Where do YOU stick YOURS? (The car(!)..)

74f11965f27ec1daa66f8c547e1e7bf1.jpg

Where mine stays at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it's always breaking down or because you live in a garage? :D

Reactions: azibux1
On the drive usually, or if it's just been cleaned and it looks like it's going to rain, the garage.

However, the OP with that narrow garage needs to get himself a parkino;

do you or anyone know if you park up a s3 and the car is lifted which wheels would run free ? for example this audi r8 in the video the front wheel run free while the rear didnt
is the s3 the same even though its 4 wheel drive?

Reactions: pburv
do you or anyone know if you park up a s3 and the car is lifted which wheels would run free ? for example this audi r8 in the video the front wheel run free while the rear didnt
is the s3 the same even though its 4 wheel drive?
Most likely as it is only shifting power to the rear when necessary

Same as just about every car barring some very old Saab's, Subarus and Citroen models, the handbrake works on the rear axle. If the S&Tonic borrows from other auto boxes, then it will lock the front axle when in 'P'. Manual drivers can opt to just leave it in gear, which will also lock the front axle (to the engine). The rear axle relies on the haldex coupling to lock it to the driveline, which in turn requires an external power source to function, so it won't be locked to the engine when you park it.

If you leave the handbrake off and the car in neutral, then your is free to move. If it's in a slope, then dont expect to find it where you left it. This actually happened to my wife's aunt the other day, who found that she was involved in a smash that wrote off two cars without her even being anywhere nearby. I'm willing to bet she still gets hounded by injury lawyers until the end of recorded time though.

Reactions: ammo-mcr and pburv
Same as just about every car barring some very old Saab's, Subarus and Citroen models, the handbrake works on the rear axle. If the S&Tonic borrows from other auto boxes, then it will lock the front axle when in 'P'. Manual drivers can opt to just leave it in gear, which will also lock the front axle (to the engine). The rear axle relies on the haldex coupling to lock it to the driveline, which in turn requires an external power source to function, so it won't be locked to the engine when you park it.

If you leave the handbrake off and the car in neutral, then your is free to move. If it's in a slope, then dont expect to find it where you left it. This actually happened to my wife's aunt the other day, who found that she was involved in a smash that wrote off two cars without her even being anywhere nearby. I'm willing to bet she still gets hounded by injury lawyers until the end of recorded time though.

thanks for the detailed info never knew that . the reason im asking im trying to fiqure out should i forward park my car or reverse park it in the drive and if some trys to tow it they cant because the wheel are locked
so do you recommend reverse park as the rear will be locked by the handbrake and haldex ?

Driveway for me, garage is too small and full of crap anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks for the detailed info never knew that . the reason im asking im trying to fiqure out should i forward park my car or reverse park it in the drive and if some trys to tow it they cant because the wheel are locked
so do you recommend reverse park as the rear will be locked by the handbrake and haldex ?

Rear won't be locked by the haldex,

Drive it in forwards, apply full steering lock, leave it in gear, pull the key. It'll be a royal pain to pull out of the driveway with the steering lock on.

However, the number of cars stolen in this way is vanishingly small. The 'steal the keys and drive it away' method is far more popular.

Rear won't be locked by the haldex,

Drive it in forwards, apply full steering lock, leave it in gear, pull the key. It'll be a royal pain to pull out of the driveway with the steering lock on.

However, the number of cars stolen in this way is vanishingly small. The 'steal the keys and drive it away' method is far more popular.
will this still apply to a dsg automatic car?
great advise on full lock method

I'm not lucky enough to have a garage or a driveway, although I have two allocated bays right next to my house. Major downside: the f*****g trees which overhang them! :rage: So annoying, I'm constantly washing it to keep the tree jizz off it. I've only had the S3 for a month or so, I'm looking into some kind or awning/car port for the spaces. Or perhaps a cover, but I'm not sure that's the best route...

I'm not lucky enough to have a garage or a driveway, although I have two allocated bays right next to my house. Major downside: the f*****g trees which overhang them! :rage: So annoying, I'm constantly washing it to keep the tree jizz off it. I've only had the S3 for a month or so, I'm looking into some kind or awning/car port for the spaces. Or perhaps a cover, but I'm not sure that's the best route...
If you are going to spend on a cover make sure it is a well spec'd one with protective inner liner...Cheap ones will tend to scratch your body work. Especially if it's in a dusty environment. :friends:

Reactions: Simon L
Could always go down the DIY carport route......................I mean how hard can it be?? :whistle2:

188892_bc0be589-c037-4b64-8cf8-66a16634b7cc_prod.jpg

Also consider any local conditions, restrictions or covenants that might be applicable to your particular property.

Leasehold properties, gated communities and properties in areas where local authorities actually care about aesthetics won't take kindly to you erecting unauthorised structures. It might be simpler to remove the trees.

Also consider any local conditions, restrictions or covenants that might be applicable to your particular property.

Leasehold properties, gated communities and properties in areas where local authorities actually care about aesthetics won't take kindly to you erecting unauthorised structures. It might be simpler to remove the trees.
Planning laws are particularly strict on this type of gated community....lol
images

Reactions: azibux1
Planning laws are particularly strict on this type of gated community....lol
images
Aluminium abodes and 12 volt tellies are mandatory. Toilet facilities? Not so much...