Audi S3 (8L) Race-Car Project

I believe so bud. I initially thought that the color was 'dolphin grey' but as someone said earlier in the thread it is not. I am pretty sure its an original color. I'm glad you like it :)
I'm glad you posted it bud! Thank you :)

Aviation Grey is an original Audi colour, but I'm pretty sure it was never available on the S3... Only mk1 (8N) TT, and even then it's still ****** rare!

Also, the bottom grill surround isn't painted from factory... So it's deffo been sprayed
f52ccaaac4f18e395f466ec2eaccced1.jpg

http:// [QUOTE="VAG-Slag, post: 2828935, member: 59689"]Aviation Grey is an original Audi colour, but I'm pretty sure it was never available on the S3... Only mk1 (8N) TT, and even then it's still ****** rare! Also, the bottom grill surround isn't painted from factory... So it's deffo been sprayed[/QUOTE] https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f5/2c/ca/f52ccaaac4f18e395f466ec2eaccced1.jpg [QUOTE="Stuart B, post: 2829005, member: 107164"]I think VAG-Slag is talking about the surround of the grill not the grill itself. but my door blades have been sprayed at some point too. this link shows the standard colours - I think the boot has the paint code written in it too. http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a3-s3-colours-again-yawn-i-was-bored-ok.13303/ I am coloured blind especially for green / grey, orange / red, green / brown / red, purple / blue but is this the same colour? [ATTACH=full]103957[/ATTACH] actually I can see my picture is certainly grey and yours looks like green to me.[/QUOTE] Wonderful post! Thank you :)
I think VAG-Slag is talking about the surround of the grill not the grill itself. but my door blades have been sprayed at some point too.

this link shows the standard colours - I think the boot has the paint code written in it too.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a3-s3-colours-again-yawn-i-was-bored-ok.13303/

I am coloured blind especially for green / grey, orange / red, green / brown / red, purple / blue
but is this the same colour?

View attachment 103957

actually I can see my picture is certainly grey and yours looks like green to me.
Wonderful post! Thank you :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex C
Grilles are not sprayed mate i can assure you, its definitely standard color. So what ever color it is i guess will remain a mystery :/

As Stu says, I'm talking about the surrounds highlighted here... Looks like they have been sprayed to match in your picture?

And if it is a standard colour, the paint code will be written on the sticker in the wheel well and in the front of the service booklet... I bet you a pint it's not standard though!

The 8l came in 2 greys, Dolphin grey for the S3 (LX7Z) and mineral grey for A3 (LY7K), both of which are metallic... Yours is not

All the Free Vehicle Checks come up with "Grey" as the colour?

look at this Audi S3 and S3 225 colours - it is from the CAP data we import at work - notice the CAP Colour option of "Any Audi Colour (Customer Order)"

Cap Colours

George you have something unique there, it would be good to find the actual colour code though.

Reactions: Roadtrain
All the Free Vehicle Checks come up with "Grey" as the colour?

look at this Audi S3 and S3 225 colours - it is from the CAP data we import at work - notice the CAP Colour option of "Any Audi Colour (Customer Order)"

View attachment 103971

George you have something unique there, it would be good to find the actual colour code though.
It's like "Individual" on BMW's car :)

Howdy all!! Sorry I have been totally off radar for the past few months. I've been settling in to uni and looks as though (due to lack of funding) the S3 project will be set back. Though in that time the decision has been made to keep her stock. Shine her up a beut and store her away over the winter months. I've appreciated a lot of what you guys have said, I am still confused over the colour scenario. It would appear it is somewhat a rare colouror is intact sprayed. I've tried to contact the previous owner for any info with no luck getting hold of him. Also I realise it would be a good idea to check the log book but sadly I haven't been home nor will I be home until the new year so will remain a mystery for a while longer. As far as I know it hasn't been sprayed and also it is not any of the above colours on the list. It is definitely gloss.

Since I'm quite busy at uni, Im taking part in KU formula student as well as degree studies I'm pretty tied down.

I have a small query however to do with the power steering. I've had the old man looking after the S3 while I've been away, running her up, airing out, cleaning etc bless him. It seems the battery ran flat, he jump started it but says he crossed terminals like a plum and since then the pas does not work. Is there any possibility a fuse has gone? Something small like that? Otherwise I haven't a clue. He says the belts are still on where they should be, fluid is topped up so can only assume it's electrical. Can anyone shed some light on this??

Cheers,
Streaky.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

PAS is mechanical hydraulic pump not electric.. its not unusual for the pipes to leak so check the fluid levels and bleed if need be... S3 steering is a lot stiffer than other models due to quick rack..

<tuffty/>

PAS is mechanical hydraulic pump not electric.. its not unusual for the pipes to leak so check the fluid levels and bleed if need be... S3 steering is a lot stiffer than other models due to quick rack..

<tuffty/>
Of course, yeh. Well the old man tried to drive it but it's literally stiff as he'll, even at higher speed so it's not working at all. Like I said, no leaks, nothing. Perhaps pump is seized?? Just thought it might be something electrical since the old man nearly blew himself up trying to jump start it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

If the pump is seized then the belt would squeal... check levels.. it will groan if low..

Pump could be damaged of course... if the belt is on correctly and the pump pulley is turning then the pump itself could be at fault but could also be the rack... check the bellows to see if fluid has leaked in...

<tuffty/>