FMIC 98 A3 1.8t 150bhp

dubhyper

Illegally Street
Reaction score
Evening....And for my next performance(mod)...i'm looking at front mounted intercoolers..And i have many questions.(sorry if im repeating earlier posts, direct me to them i will go in peace).:tumble:

There are loads on ebay for 150's odd..but i want one thats right for the car. I understand that there is an excessive point when it comes to intercoolers. What sort of size cooler should i be looking at? Will i need to take the old one out or can i use the new cooler in conjunction with the standard one...
All so, What size hose's should i use>? Am i right in saying intercoolers are techincally generic?

does anyone know how much the forge one is for a, 98 A3 - 1.8t 150bhp model. I can only see the ibiza one...and that is a bit to dear for me....
r:wtf:

Forge don't make a specific FMIC kit for the A3 1.8T.

In fact, from what i can see nobody seems to make one that is designed in the best way for it. What's really needed is a dual pass core to minimise the amount of tubing required to get back to the inlet manifold.

Something like the Renault Laguna Diesel intercooler is very shallow and should fit behind the front bumper, although some trimming will probably be required. You'll also then need to run some long and bendy pipework to plumb it in.

Pace quoted me £1100 for a custom built intercooler for mine :haha:

:rock: thats looks wicked..where did you get the cooler from (brand?). reason is i have this coldair induction fitted in bumper and i need a cooler with an outlet like that so i dont have HOT pipe near my cold air intake...plus i dont have room on that side cos of the filter...Also if this is not to much to ask..any chance i could see the rest of the pipeing so i can work out what pipes i need.,..... cheers

It looks a nice bit of kit but not sure it's neccasery to have such a deep core and relocating the Rad is a PITA.

How much do you think this would cost someone to buy all the parts? As you say, you were able to get parts cheap but joe public wouldn't be able to.

I had the kit made up by a fabricator in Hereford that makes the A&M motorsport seat ibiza kits,A&M are mates of mine so it was all done cheaper as a development kit,but there was more cutting of plastic inside the front bumper,plus cutting a hole in the composite front panel for the main pipe to go through.Not a easy job but if you want it to flow well then its worth it,plus removing bits of plastic just costs time.The guy that made it is very good,he had a supercharged bike engined race car there(his own)carbon bodied and he had made the whole car to fit the carbon body which he picked up cheap and it was a work of art.If anybody is serious about a set up like mine i can pass on Mikes no from A&M.Cheers Andy

A core like this is overkill for a k03s but i don't intend to always have a ko3s on it so it made sense to go big straight away,to move the rad is easy you only need to make 4 aluminium blocks ,fit some threaded inserts in the one end and just drill one hole for the rad mounting,some rubber bushing in the mounting hole would be good too.The guy could probably make a slimmer design for easier fitment, he will do what you want but the product will be good and flow well because of his attension to detail.What a&m do is buy big sheets of core and cut it down ,its so much cheaper then,if enough people were interested i am sure they could do a deal.

this is all great info...
now im thinking this is no S3..its only a little 150bhp.(currently).i dont think i will be going bigger turbo for a while...but if i do i wont go crazy..so with this all in mind. im still wondering what size cooler would really be best..what do you guys rekon of something like this..size wise.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/32x12x3-TURBO...3QQihZ007QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

would this replace the old one. or can run them both "in-line"..that surely would fit.. ..whats the ruff diamentions of your cooller AndyTQ.

cheers again

You've still got the issue of how to route the outlet of the intercooler to the inlet manifold.

yeah but no, but yeah but no, but yeah.... ..and getting thru the front panel is gonna be a female dog. but im sure with a little planning and relocation of a few bits..i can find a route back to the inlet..
obviously i want the feed to be as straight as possable.
paul what do you mean by dual pass core..would a R5 GT Turbo cooler be something similar , where the inlet and outlet are on the same side....not that i want to use an R5 one...just wondered if thats what you mean.

excellent..now i know what im looking for...ill be back when ive found one for a good price. cheers man. very helpfull, thanks:beerchug: