Audi S3 tyre rotation

ron burgandy

Reaction score
ive had my new tyres on about 6 month and covered around 3000 miles, should I be rotating them? I'm thinking every 6 months/3000 would be good intervals to rotate. Should they go front to back or diagonal?
Does anybody else do this and how often?

Front to back, they can't go diagonal as the chances are they are directional tyres

Certainly won't hurt to do so, I like to swap mine round when the fronts are half worn, then theyre generally ready for replacement at the same time.

Wheel rotation is not necessary these days.

Reactions: Raiden, ged60 and S3Alex
Wheel rotation is not necessary these days.

Was going to say that tyre wear,front to back is pretty much equal on mine now.
Before the Haldex controller,the fronts did used to wear a bit faster.

I don't rotate ever. I just replace fronts when they are at the limit, and replace rears when they are at the limit. Fronts always go quicker than the rears.

Reactions: ged60
I don't rotate ever. I just replace fronts when they are at the limit, and replace rears when they are at the limit. Fronts always go quicker than the rears.

same here saves buying four tyres in one go !! helps spread the bills...

Reactions: Raiden
To save creating a new thread i thought i would just post in here. My fronts are getting low so i have swapped them with the rears and i have sooooo much tyre noise. I believe this is due to how the tyres have worn differently over time? If i was to swap them back around am i safe just replacing two tyres rather than all four? Would it matter if i changed brand etc?

I swapped mine over and the car didn't like it, the steering wheel wobbled and generally didn't steer right, so I've not bothered this time I'm just gonna replaced the front when the time comes

I swapped mine over and the car didn't like it, the steering wheel wobbled and generally didn't steer right, so I've not bothered this time I'm just gonna replaced the front when the time comes

So it doesn't matter if i swap just two tyres instead of four and it doesn't matter if i fit different brands?

So it doesn't matter if i swap just two tyres instead of four and it doesn't matter if i fit different brands?

As long as the new pair are the same diameter/width as the older two tyres then you'll be fine. Different brands or even tread patterns can have different braking characteristics amongst other things, so consider this. For a 4WD you'd typically replace all 4 together but this isn't always economical.

Reactions: Rojer
As long as the new pair are the same diameter/width as the older two tyres then you'll be fine. Different brands or even tread patterns can have different braking characteristics amongst other things, so consider this. For a 4WD you'd typically replace all 4 together but this isn't always economical.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly, i was concerned about the handling/braking etc. If the noise doesn't die down after alignment on Saturday i might just swap them back and change the fronts.

In my experience the tyres fall to bits long before they wear out tread wise so rotate them giving yourself the chance to examine them as well