Coil pack on way out

markos72

Reaction score
Looks like I might have a coilpack on the way out on my A3 3.2.
Getting what seems like a slight misfire at idle as well as lumpy acceleration in 2nd gear-not heavy acceleration though.
Getting it looked at on Thursday,luckily I have free rail transport to get to work the next few nights.
Don't want to drive and risk a break down...

Anyone else had similar symptoms and found it to be coil pack? Or anything else?

When it's a miss fire it flashes up in the dash with the engine light I know of a common fault in the 3.2 is a stretched cam chain and that will give you the same symptoms.

Mine went full misfire mode a couple weeks back under heavy load, to the point of after a couple days driving it flashed the CEL one time when i was driving. Probably not the same symptoms but if it comes to it you might check this too. I replaced my coil pack to try rectify this but in the end it was a loose connection in the central control unit, along with them not replacing all the spark plugs at service.

Cheers Gideon,I had similar to yours a few years back under heavy acceleration in 6th,flashing eml and stuttering and that was the coil pack.Not expecting spark plug issues as they were all replaced at last service.I'm hoping its just a coil pack :)

Cheers Gideon,I had similar to yours a few years back under heavy acceleration in 6th,flashing eml and stuttering and that was the coil pack.Not expecting spark plug issues as they were all replaced at last service.I'm hoping its just a coil pack :)

Fingers crossed for ya mate!:happy:

Reactions: markos72
Took it down today,no fault codes logged so mechanic said all we could do was keep an eye on it see if it gets worse.Sod's law took it for a blast and eml started flashing just like last time 2 years ago when coilpack 5 went.
He's gonna slot me in tomorrow as I need it for nights over the weekend and train not practical on Saturday night as 1st train home not til 830 Sunday morning-good guy,he wouldnt take anything for having a look today