URGENT!! Shell Bearings

AdzA3AGU

Reaction score
Hey guys

Had the car looked at today and it turns out I need new shell bearings on the bottom end. Was advised to get ACL bearings but online can't seem to find anything on their site.

Has anyone bought recently and know where to get them from as I would like my car back as soon as

APY S3

Will the Calico Ones fit my engine and are they the stronger of the two?

AKS Tuning do a set for £35 delivered.

Save yourself £20 on the same ones from Badger 5..

Be surprised if they are calico coated for £35 but I do know Alex has a habit of grabbing the odd bargain... OE ones are 50-60 quid from memory

<tuffty/>

Not the calico ones. They were identical ones to the ones listed in the blue packing though.

well the ones in there atm are from VW and they lasted 2 months so any improvment would be great

ACL rod bearings are also £36 + vat.

Last edited:
I thought the same but theres no issue with crank. was taken out and measured and is well within tolerance

should put to clarify the bottom of the rod was slightly discoloured from the heat so being that its the only shell to give in im guessing its a problem with that coupling in particular

What cylinder? sounds like lack of oil pressure to me... fitting new bearings won't fix an inherent issue... I'd be wary of the rod too if its blued up from the heat.. whats the journal like? if its taken out the bearings it may well have scored the journal

<tuffty/>

Reactions: AdzA3AGU
What cylinder? sounds like lack of oil pressure to me... fitting new bearings won't fix an inherent issue... I'd be wary of the rod too if its blued up from the heat.. whats the journal like? if its taken out the bearings it may well have scored the journal

<tuffty/>

Cyl 1 I Believe Tuft ( Timing belt side) crank was taken out and measured with a Micrometer and was within tolerances on autodata. and Journal surface is very clean is going to be polished before replacement.

Car was run on 5w30 Qunatum Platnum but has been mapped and is slightly overfuelling due to my previous Splitter issue. I plan on using 5W 40 as ive heard these engines tuned need the thicker due to the 30 weight not holding pressure.

should put to clarify the bottom of the rod was slightly discoloured from the heat so being that its the only shell to give in im guessing its a problem with that coupling in particular
blued up is serious heat. yet you say crank is ok?
Hmmm.

How round is the rod now after enough heat to make it blue up??

sounds like a problem engine to me

Reactions: AdzA3AGU
blued up is serious heat. yet you say crank is ok?
Hmmm.

How round is the rod now after enough heat to make it blue up??

sounds like a problem engine to me

It was placed on Cyl 2 and fit nicely also compared to the one they took off cyl2 its the same no warping or anything.

i wouldent know how to check actual Strength though They are PEC Rods. i wouldve though they could take it?

In other news Shell Bearings are on their way for delivery tomorrow fitted tomorrow seal the sump up wait the 24 Hrs then away to go thurs morning.