Audi Sport Suspension too harsh?

nujjy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum and on the verge of buying a new Audi A4.

Do people have an opinion on the Sports suspension (i.e. the one that comes standard on Sport and S-Line models)? I test-drove a 2.0TDI S-Line A4 last weekend and found that you could really feel the bumps. I have an A4 B8 SE and can drive over certain bumps on roads at 25mph without too much bother. When I drove on the same roads in the B9, I felt I had to really slow down to 10-15mph to make it bearable.

Not sure if that was just the car I drove, but I'm 100% sure it didn't have S-Line suspension.

I'm most likely buying an S-Line demonstrator so don't really have much of a choice in the way of suspension. All the cars I've seen come with sports suspension and no adaptive suspension.

I'd be grateful for any opinions people have.

S-Line is the harsh one and Sport more comfortable ??

I think there are three types - Comfort (standard on SE) and Sport (standard on Sport and S-Line). You can then opt to get an even harsher S-Line suspension on the S-Line models.

You CAN request Comfort on a Sport and S-Line car but don't think I can afford to spend the extra to get a factory built car.

I think Sport is the decent compromise , after all the forum isn't called audi-s-line.net

I think there are three types - Comfort (standard on SE) and Sport (standard on Sport and S-Line). You can then opt to get an even harsher S-Line suspension on the S-Line models.

Not quite. There are 4 types:
  • Comfort Dynamic suspension ("Newly developed suspension system with increased comfort and agility whilst retaining sport driving characteristics")
  • Sports suspension ("Lowered by 20mm compared to Comfort Dynamic suspension, with stiffer suspension and damping for more direct contact with the road and sportier handling")
  • Adaptive sport suspension ("Electronically regulated suspension system which offers the sportiest ride at the same time as improving comfort. Suspension is lowered by 20mm (as per Sport suspension) and adjusts to different driving situations. Dynamic or comfort-oriented characteristics for shock absorber settings adjusted via Audi Drive Select")
  • Adaptive comfort suspension ("Electronically regulated suspension system which offers maximum ride comfort. Suspension is lowered by 10mm and adjusts to different driving situations. Dynamic or comfort-oriented characteristics for shock absorber settings adjusted via Audi Drive Select")
The definitions above are from the A4 brochure.

You can then opt to get an even harsher S-Line suspension on the S-Line models.

You are getting confused with the B8 model! The S line suspension was optional extra on the B8 S line and was a 30mm drop rather than the standard 20mm drop.

The B9 comes with the S line suspension as standard (20mm drop).

I have driven the sports suspension on a sline and it was far harsher than the sports suspension on my a3 saloon. So much so how uncomfortable it was over holes and cracks put me off that option and I would have chosen comfort...

I've got the s line suspension on 19 inch alloys.... I find it 10x better than my a3 s line 8v suspension which was on 18s!

Blimey, I found the sports suspension with 18" painfully harder than my a3 is, had me looking for cracks or potholes in the road to avoid them as the shocks transmitted through the seat base into my spine. Even my passenger could feel the difference but perhaps the roads are smoother where you are..

Blimey, I found the sports suspension with 18" painfully harder than my a3 is, had me looking for cracks or potholes in the road to avoid them as the shocks transmitted through the seat base into my spine. Even my passenger could feel the difference but perhaps the roads are smoother where you are..
We'll I'm around south East England! , and the roads are not really that great in some places. But tbh and I don't know why but it just rides so much nicer than my old a3 s line...

I live in the south east as well, my test drive consisted of the eastbourne/hastings commute. I find it strange that your impression is so different from mine as well, maybe there is something different about the cars but the one I had was most definantly a harder ride than my a3 saloon is. Put me off getting a a4 completely with that spec because I couldn't live with the jarring it gave to my spine..

Reactions: h1r4
I live in the south east as well, my test drive consisted of the eastbourne/hastings commute. I find it strange that your impression is so different from mine as well, maybe there is something different about the cars but the one I had was most definantly a harder ride than my a3 saloon is. Put me off getting a a4 completely with that spec because I couldn't live with the jarring it gave to my spine..
I have no clue! ,come drive my car... I'm baffled!

Thanks for the responses guys.

I took a different A4 for at test drive (but still with Sports suspension) and found it to be better second time round. I think you pay too much attention to it on a test drive and after owning a car for a while, you notice it less.

Looking at all the demonstrators, though, they all had a black interior which wasn't to my liking.

Got the 2.0tdi 190bhp quattro s tronic

Man this thing can handle corners so well!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Ah, wrong engine then, I wish to drive the 2.0l tfsi engine, diesels are not the right engine for me because I only do 5000 miles a year and I would never pay back the increased cost of one..

Yeah the Quattro does handle corners well but mind you so does the FWD.

The Quattro doesn't half manage to put the power down and take off!

But 99% of the time, the FWD is enough.

I found the B9 S line suspension softer than the B8, although I never had a problem with the B8 suspension.

All the reviews of the B9 say that the S line model has lost the harsh ride that the B8 S line had.

Reactions: h1r4
Yes I have read the same reviews however both whatcar and parkers do suggest that the adaptive comfort suspension might be the better choice.
The more I read and the more I see I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the a4 saloon is better value for money than the a3, even though the a3 looks better, plus with the a4 there seems to be more choice with colours and, for me, the heated screen and, of course, the interior of the a4 is of a higher quality..