B7 Cabriolet, Brakes knocking after changing pads

TheRotiCab

Instagram : TheRotiCab
Reaction score
Hi all, I changed my front pads the weekend just gone, I am getting a knock every time I apply pressure to the pedal, even if it is ever so slight that you are not braking it still knock, it also knocks over sharp bumps, it never did this before replacing the pads, I have ate calipers, first time I have ever replaced pads and could not find a guide to do the ate calipers so I just had a go, the brakes work perfectly apart from the knocking, any advise? Thanks Peter

Did you replace all the spring retaining clips. And what is the chance of you leaving a calliper bolt loose?

Did you replace all the spring retaining clips. And what is the chance of you leaving a calliper bolt loose?
Never replaced the retaining clips, I refitted the originals if that is what you mean, I will take the wheels off at the weekend and check, I did get an extension bar in and gave it a once over yesterday to see if they were tight and I couldn't get any movement, the backs of the pads have plenty of copper slip on, my old pads were worn on one side quite badly, I'm wondering if whenever I brake it is pushing the side which is least in contact with the disk closer to the disk, even so it is a metal on metal knock and I'm 100% sure it was not there before I replaced the pads, I replaced the disks a few weeks previously, neither that pads or disks were in bad condition was just trying to eliminate the squealing, thanks for your reply I will give it the once over asap

What pads and disc have you used ? Could be a bad fit pad

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

There was a similar post last week about knocking. Turned out to be a pad problem. Have a look back at last weeks posts.

What pads and disc have you used ? Could be a bad fit pad

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Ericher i think is the brand, got them from euro car parts, a little update, had the wheel off earlier checked the two bolts, they were fine, got my finger on the pads and they have a little bit of movement, is this normal? Checked over all of my bushes (just visually) looked in good nick, I had a guy in the car earlier and he said it could be a siezed slider? Or a loose caliper? I'm at my wits end with the car to be honest, I'm almost 2k out of pocket in repair bills in a year and a half, + the few k I have spent in making it my own.

My and it have a love hate relationship

Thanks for everyones helpful advice, can't knock this forum!

Attachments

• car.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 157
Update: sorted the new pads had directional arrows on both pads with wear indicators, old ones don't, no idea why these ones do, but atleast it's sorted! Thanks for everyone's input