Newbie-questions

jordanh3

Reaction score
hi, im new to the forum, i have an audi a3 2009 140 tdi there couple bits a pieces i want to do on it but not quite sure how to go about it

1. I want a remap but would it be possible/worth it putting a 170 turbo on it first? Also would it be worth removing cat?
2. Im thinking about getting some replica rota alloys.... Should i go 18's or 19's? My concerns are 19's would it make the car sit really high and look like an off roader?

3. Headunit... Although i have bose i want sat nav but still keep it as standard as i can... Also i want bluetooth so it seems for a reasonable price my best option is to get the android oem look a like the look really good and do have good specs but has anyone had one? Like it? They do a new version now.

Thank you guys
Jordan

19s for your arches really well but may look lifted and when or if you lower they may rub... I would stay with 18's personally but that's just my opinion, try and stay OEM with the head unit or buy a Bluetooth adapter for your original, I've heard that the androids are good with the features but you lose the bose sound quality at the bottom end, and I don't want to part with any of the quality so I just got an aux adapter for mine ... Can't help you with the turbo as I don't really know my diesels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could make a 170 turbo work but without injectors, intercooler it'd be a waste so I'd stick with the standard turbo for bang for buck. Removing any exhaust restriction will help but I dunno the consequences come MOT time.

Why would 19s make the car sit higher? You'd have more wheel to tyre or on 18s you have less wheel to tyre but the overall size remains the same.

I'd avoid replica wheels, from personal experience. They just aren't made to the same standard as OE or good quality aftermarket wheels are.

As for headunit I'd for a mkII RNS-E over any copy or look alike unit. They don't look alike at all and in my humble opinion they can look tacky.

thank you both for your replies, as for the turbo i think your right.. Ill just stick with the standard turbo for now and get it remapped..... Then if my turbo ever goes pop ill upgrade straight to a hybrid but i am thinking about removing the cat but it such way that i can put it back in if needed.

As for headunit wise i think your totally right... I dont want to sacrifice my bose, i have aux already in it but i dont have bluetooth so id need rnse and bluetooth module.. Around 5-550s worth of stuff which is why the android just seemed a better option.

Wheels i leave for now atleast until ive got bit more money go get some oem ones

If you go for an android headunit you can get adaptors for the wiring loom behind the unit that will let you carry on using your Bose as normal, about £30 -£40 normally and in my opinion the android units don't look much different to a factory one. If you stick with a factory unit though you can buy a dension kit or a gromaudio kit that plugs into the back of the headunit and gives you Bluetooth phone and music streaming capabilities and syncs up with your steering wheel if you have a multifunction wheel.

I think ill get the android headunit and if the sound quality is poor ill just send it back, i really want sat nav and i like the idea of the android unit but i wont let any headunit get in the way of the bose lol, im thinking of going for the 18inch rotor wheels... If i get the 19's the tyres are alot more expensive and then i think ill have to get it lowered to sit nicely in the arches,

How much am i looking at to remap? And does anyone have any recomendations as to where to go?

Go for it pal and let me know how it is! I've just been told over and over that you lose the low own frequency of the bass, and where are you based? There's a few decent custom mapping places over the country, I'm taking mine to Rick at unicorn developments next month, he's highly spoken of for his work on here, he's based in Manchester

Yea i am going to, ill order it friday... I dont know if theyll be a way of getting around that... I know a place in preston that sells them from the shop so i might ring them and see what they say about the bose, im based in lancashire so manchester sounds good to me, what sort of price would it be do you know?

Good man and it's different for what map you want, should be around 300 mark for a stage one I would say, could be 350 but he's the best mapper money can pay for apparently! Have a look at his Facebook page and throw him a message, he's a busy man and doesn't reply very fast but just get all your questions down in one go