Tdi 140 common rail won't turn over

Audiforlife

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 58 plate tdi that was written off due to an apparent hydrolocked engine.
There is no water in the oil not even a spec of mayo. Now I have taken the glow plugs out and had a syringe down each bore and have had no success getting any water out. I have tried turning the car over but it won't turn over at all. It makes 1 click then all the dash lights go out and the clock on instrument and radio reset themselves.

Would like any help or advice on the matter

Thanks

Just to add there are also check esp and check dpf on the dash (she said she had the dpf removed and welded back up)

Wondering if these could have anything to do with not turning over

Thanks

Has it been scanned with VCDS? I fancy an immo issue if it turns once and that's it..

I've tried a cheap scanner I was given but nothing shows.. I realise it would need a new engine, but would like to get it turning over 1st.. my next port of call is the trying to turn the engine over by hand.. would it be safe enough to do off the cam pulley? As it's in a garage with limited space

Get someone with VCDS to scan it for you.

I have been playing about with it all morning.. tried with a brand new battery and it just clicks once and you can see the engine move slightly..
Also put a 18mm ratchet on the cam pulley and seems as though the engine is totally locked up..

New engine time me thinks :(

Thanks everyone for your help

if it has hydrolocked it could have easily bent a rod , spun a shell . probably siezed the pistons into the bores maybe a good squirt of wd40 down the glow plug holes to unsieze the rings and lube the bores . then try turning it over by hand after leaving it to stand for a few hours . use the crank pulley not the cam .

Thanks mate.. yes I know it's not best practice to turn an engine over by the cam pulley. The car is on my drive and there's no room to get the wheel off at the moment.
I will definitely try wd40 down the bores though.
The oil is totally clean so that's what's got me baffled. I bought the car knowing it would need an engine and am picking one up at the weekend. I would just liked to have got it turning over beforehand.

I reckon someone has already drained the oil and water out and re-filled to see if it will start, obviously it won't. The con rods or other major damage have seized it up. It is new engine time.
If it comes from a flood damage area and the car has been immersed in water, expect most of the electrics to be up the 'Swanee' as well. Hopefully the previous owner has just tried to drive through a big puddle or ford.

She was a woman vet.. and yes it was a little stream over the road that she travels through on a weekly basis.. just this time it wasn't so little lol

Reactions: SootySport