DPF CLOGGED: help.. hollowing and map..

Jack1990

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post on Audi-sport.

I have had a nosey around and can't seem to find the answers I'm after, so sorry if this has been covered before.

Right,
I drive a 56' A4 S-line PD170 2.0TDi Quattro, the dreaded BRD Engine.

my EGR chewed itself up the other day so I took it apart, and the plastic cogs have chewed themselves up. So instead of a delete, I just removed the cogs, makes sense right?

Cleaned out the inlet mani, egr, and throttle. Runs smoother now.

The problem is, I thought I'd have more time to get the DPF removed, but it's been a week and I've got the DPF warning light up already.

Because no egr, means no Regeneration I believe.

So this brings me on to hollowing the DPF, I was going to do this myself, but I can't get it out without pulling thr driveshaft out and gos knows what else.
I'm no mechanic.

I was wondering (as I'm between jobs, money is tight) would it be possible to have the DPF hollowed/cored without having it mapped? As the sensors are pressure sensors, the pressure wouldn't change at all, I'm scared s**tless of doing harm or forcing limp mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to move on this like now..

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• PicsArt_02-28-06.55.22-1-1.jpg
    PicsArt_02-28-06.55.22-1-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 392
Hi jack welcome to the forum mate, I can't really help you with your post really, but there's loads of helpful guys who will be able to help you shortly, I just wanted to say your car looks the nuts mate, love those wheels!

Nope unfortunately not mate you need to map it out or the car will still think the DPF's there.

I'd just buy a new EGR until you can afford to remove and map the DPF out.

My dpf was clogged not long ago I have an egr black and I took it to my local tuner for him to cut and gut the dpf it took him all day! I usually try most stuff myself but he told me it was a total ball ache to get it past all the gearbox and drive shafts etc! I was in the same boat with money I was just going to ask him to turn off the egr and dpf sensors and not map it but I'm glad he mapped it, it's so much better on fuel and a lot quicker now!

Once my light came on and it went into limp mode it wouldn't regen at all, not sure why. You can also buy a wynns dpf cleaner from halfords and places like that, might help clean it out in the meantime!

Hi there jack I have new egr valve done 4000 miles tops if you need it £50,and I'd be changing dpf sensor blow air through both lines adapt new dpf sensor using vcds then do a regen!
When money is better I'd defiantly advise getting a dpf delete and remap best money I spent on the car transformed it better mpg no more flashing lights on the dash it's a win win !

The drive shafts are actually quite easy to remove:
1) take the wheel off, take the centre cap out, then put it back on and on the floor
2) undo your hub bolt which what I think is a 17mm Allen socket.
3) jack car up, take wheel off, undo the rear lower wishbone from the SUBFRAME CHASSIS and remove the bolt completely.
4) pull the lower wishbone out of the subframe, give it full lock one way and you should be able to get the drive shaft out of the hub.
5) remove the 6 multitorx bolts from the diff.

Your driveshaft is now out and you can access the bolts needed.

I have a 3.0 TDI QUATTRO and I had to remove the front subframe to get to the exhaust bolts though....

Reactions: Jack1990
@Steaudi I bought the wheels the morning after Halloween, I woke up still drunk and impulsively bought them off Fleabay!! best drunk buy ever!!! also bought an RS6 grille I've been meaning to adapt and do the whole "no filler plate look" but it is EFFORT and I CBA at the moment haha.

@darren t thanks for the offer with the EGR bud, but I think I'm gonna go for map anyways!

Thank you so much guys for the help, I've had the car 8 months or so and had no time to "play around" with it, now I'm not working so much, ive had a chance to "fiddle"

I'm aware is a pain in the a** to get the DPF out, and I've decided to bite the bullet, count the pennies and get the map also..

the next question is where is the best place to go?
I'm not in limp yet, but I can feel it coming soon..

I am located in the South East near Brighton. I'd love to go to Shark but Nottingham isn't a fun distance, the way up atleast haha..

Is yours a Quattro?
I like the look of narco and derv tech on fb not sure how close they are to you though

@Steaudi I bought the wheels the morning after Halloween, I woke up still drunk and impulsively bought them off Fleabay!!

Thank you so much guys for the help, I've had the car 8 months or so and had no time to "play around" with it, now I'm not working so much, ive had a chance to "fiddle"

I'm aware is a pain in the a** to get the DPF out, and I've decided to bite the bullet, count the pennies and get the map also..

the next question is where is the best place to go?
I'm not in limp yet, but I can feel it coming soon..

I am located in the South East near Brighton. I'd love to go to Shark but Nottingham isn't a fun distance, the way up atleast haha..
If you don't mind driving to N. London then i can do it for you...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 343
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 856
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 427
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 489
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.4 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 336
Reactions: James.c
530d I have done a few weeks ago...

How the hell did any exhaust gasses flow through that at all? Must have been massively restrictive!

What was the mileage on it?

Mines a 3.0 tdi b8 (which I'm told had a good dpf design) with nearly 60k but I'm thinking now of getting it gutted

those can be alittle intresting too, subframe dropped abit, whilst engine mounts loose and engine jacked up
Yep, quite a pain in the butt if you know what i mean, very, very little clearance there...it did put up a fight !

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
How the hell did any exhaust gasses flow through that at all? Must have been massively restrictive!

What was the mileage on it?

Mines a 3.0 tdi b8 (which I'm told had a good dpf design) with nearly 60k but I'm thinking now of getting it gutted
It was about 130k, the monolith was fully blocked and it chocked the engine big time !

Hey guys!!

sorry I've been away a little while..

Turns out that all it took was a little asking around, and some diesel buddies of mine pointed me in the direction if this guy down the road from me... I forget his name, but hes settled with 400 for gutting the dpf, EGR, blanking, ecu sensor deletes and a live stage 1 power map. hes got his work cut out for him tomorrow!!!

Thank you all so much for advising and replying quickly.

next time I have a problem... I'll be sure to pester you guys again!! haha

Reactions: Dani_B19 and James.c
Hey guys!

Just an update, the chappy has done an amazing job, its like a completely different car, pulls like a train all the way to the red, turbo spools and rips your head back if your not careful!! loving it, mpgs aren't bad either, haven't RR'd is and wont be for a while, there is one opening near me soon so I'll pop down there and see what figures I get, in guessing somewhere around 220bhp with 350ft/lb. ive never felt a stage 1 pull so hard.

Don't get me wrong, its not completely brutal, you hear the turbo spool and smoothly deliver the power, no jerking or judders, except for around 100mph... (sorry.. 70mph I mean ;) in 5th and 6th where the clutch starts to slip around 4,000rpm... a future job I think, doesn't like the extra torque and I believe that's where it spikes.

overall, very happy.

Next up, GT turbo of some sort, straight through stainless, clutch and then try for 300bhp.. :)

One thing I am disappointed with, is that he was unable to install a popcorn limiter with the Siemens ECU, I know for a fact that REVO wont touch me because of the way its flashed..

If anyone knows or has even the slightest idea how to install a popcorn limiter on a Siemens ECU, I'd seriously appreciate it...

thanks guys!

Reactions: soldier4313
Ok @Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps . I don't know why either, but if he's not happy doing it then I guess I'll have to go without.. :/

Also, Another issue I have come to notice.

My clutch is slipping.. quite badly, as there is quite a lot of extra torque, the clutch can't take it and is failing....

It slipped occasionally in 4th and 5th.. now it's slipping in second..

The scary thing is, I know clutches are expensive..

The safe option would be to replace the SMF and get a clutch kit and do it all.. but how can I determine, without taking it apart, if it's the clutch or the flywheel that's failing??

Also, I'm not sure if replacement with standard parts will take the extra power :/

I'm creating problems for myself :'(

just make sure the dpf delete software is done correctly and not just the DTC's deleted from the ecu, i see this time and time again rather than it done properly, also, you will love the difference
Is there a way you can tell if your dpf map has been done correctly or just mapped out all dtc??
Funnily enough I have checked mine with vcds and it stays at 20% and ash 0.9 and was at 0 I ask because when my car started misfiring and I ended up buying 4 (new) injectors from Germany ,I didn't get 1 fault code even though car started and misfired from the minute the car started no errors at all! The other day the phone rang and the wife said the coil light flashed on dash and bleeped !!! and when I plugged it in no faults...light obviously went out I'm starting to wonder too be honest any advise much appreciated as I like my car in tip top condition and too be advised by ecu of any problems or faults that may arise.
Oil light defo works