How much do these 19" arm-wing anthracite wheels weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamegenie

Eazy-E CPT OG from the Otherside
Reaction score
5armwing_zps4bd24f1b.jpg

I have aftermarket replicas of these in 18" size, and at 25.05 lbs a wheel I think they might be heavier than the OEM 19"s.

575846_x800.jpg

20150801_111914.jpg

Reactions: Snibo
I order the same wheels for my A3. I really doubt that the OEM 19's are any less weight, but if they are it's likely only a pound or two at most. Remember, Audi is not a LeMan's supercar by any means so Audi has zero reason to make their wheels lightweight racing wheel on their basic A3-8 models. BTW, did you utilize the standard Audi A3 centercap, if so what was your stock wheel, the 10 spoke... or did you find those centercaps somewhere else? What size are the caps?
I doubt that you'll find any answers about the wheel weight of the OEM 19's, but it would certainly be interesting to know.

5armwing_zps4bd24f1b.jpg

I have aftermarket replicas of these in 18" size, and at 25.05 lbs a wheel I think they might be heavier than the OEM 19"s.

575846_x800.jpg

20150801_111914.jpg

I order the same wheels for my A3. I really doubt that the OEM 19's are any less weight, but if they are it's likely only a pound or two at most. Remember, Audi is not a LeMan's supercar by any means so Audi has zero reason to make their wheels lightweight racing wheel on their basic A3-8 models. BTW, did you utilize the standard Audi A3 centercap, if so what was your stock wheel, the 10 spoke... or did you find those centercaps somewhere else? What size are the caps?
I doubt that you'll find any answers about the wheel weight of the OEM 19's, but it would certainly be interesting to know.
I found those center caps on Amazon. Only paid like 4 bucks for them.
Where as Audi Genuine Parts were selling them like $50 a piece. (ouch!)
They look legit. The pic in this thread was from last year but I uploaded new pics of my car with these wheels on in the Photo thread and the center cap hasn't worn at all.

A typical 18inch VAG wheel rim made from AISi7Mg alloy will weigh around 11.3kg, maybe add 0.5Kg for a 19inch wheel.

Reactions: gamegenie, Jassyo06 and pburv
I found those center caps on Amazon. Only paid like 4 bucks for them.
Where as Audi Genuine Parts were selling them like $50 a piece. (ouch!)
They look legit. The pic in this thread was from last year but I uploaded new pics of my car with these wheels on in the Photo thread and the center cap hasn't worn at all.
Yes those OEM ones are pricey, but how'd you figure out which one's on Amazon that would work on your wheel? apparently your stock caps would not swap over so you had to go out shopping for one's that fit.

A while ago I found a site that lists the wheel weight for Audi OE wheels. As long as you know the part number.
Found the part number for that alloy 8V0601025AS
http://www.online-teile.com/audi-ersatzteile/8V0601025AS_Alloy-Rim.html?language=en
It comes out at 12.32 Kg which is 27.1 Lbs .
Audi do make efforts to try and make lightweight wheels, some of the larger rotor wheels have hollow spokes which saves about 10% on the wheel weight against what they would be with solid spokes.

Reactions: gamegenie and Rob2k68
5armwing_zps4bd24f1b.jpg

575846_x800.jpg

20150801_111914.jpg

Cheap skate fake/faux wheels on a Audi....lol...Blasthemy

Reactions: pburv, Simon L, gamegenie and 1 other person
Yes those OEM ones are pricey, but how'd you figure out which one's on Amazon that would work on your wheel? apparently your stock caps would not swap over so you had to go out shopping for one's that fit.
At the time I was shopping for my faux wheels, I didn't even think about just reusing the caps that were on my stocks. I probably would have ended up doing that if I didn't find caps on Amazon looking very much like them being sold cheap.

Now I just swap the whole wheel, tire, and cap out at the same time when I'm switching between Winter and All Seasons.

At the time I was shopping for my faux wheels, I didn't even think about just reusing the caps that were on my stocks. I probably would have ended up doing that if I didn't find caps on Amazon looking very much like them being sold cheap.

Now I just swap the whole wheel, tire, and cap out at the same time when I'm switching between Winter and All Seasons.

At least you have the Pano-roof that's all that matters

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
My old 6R had 19" talledega's wheels and they were 17kg a corner.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Why is just me who get's caught by the 'gif police' ?.....:whistle2:

Reactions: Jassyo06, davc and Rob2k68
At least you have the Pano-roof that's all that matters
haha...pano roof! that I must admit is a laugh ;) Pano glass I call it. I saw one video reviewing the A3 when it first came out and they commented "...it's more glassy than it is holey"
Sure wish Audi and VW would have stuck with the traditional sunroof, looked far better when it was open and just as practical as this "pano".

Reactions: pburv
Cheap skate fake/faux wheels on a Audi....lol...Blasthemy

Absolutely nothing wrong with that jassyo06...why pay inflated Audi prices for basically the same thing? There's a set of minor curbed OEM's on eBay currently for $1800 US...hahaha, now that's a total joke!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that jassyo06...why pay inflated Audi prices for basically the same thing?

They really aren't the same thing.

Not everyone has a working knowledge of metallurgy, still fewer have a working knowledge of the intricacies of casting and forging wheels, but rest assured, it takes more to replicate a wheel than making a mould and pouring in some molten aluminium.

Fake wheels like these are not tested like that OEM ones, they aren't made the same as the OEM ones. As far as being "basically the same thing" the only similarities are that they look the same. They may as well be made of chocolate for all the assurance they bring in terms of quality, and most importantly, safety.

from 1:36

GSB: thanks for the little chuckle. :) You are sounding a bit like an Audio Representative. I'm sorry and I'm not intending to disrespect you at all, but wheels really are just wheels. However there clearly are different grades of wheels, some of those come from almost 3rd world countries that have little or no inspections or standards beyond the wheel's appearance. But, there are MANY, MANY manufactures of wheels and to put a car manufacture ahead of some very well known wheel manufactures is absolutely naive thinking, to the point where if it came to push or shove, I'd put more faith in a wheel manufactures over a car manufacture who is designing and creating their own wheels, however as wheels are just wheels, it's never been, nor ever would be a concern of mine...so it comes down to price and buying from a reputable business/manufacture that is backed up by a solid history and warranty. The real difference (beyond cost) between the two, generally comes down to is that OEM wheel is covered by the vehicle's manufacture warranty which typically far exceeds the "aftermarket" wheel manufacture.

I will agree generally that a car manufacture likely has better Quality Control when it comes to appearance and finish, but that is about where it ends.

For your point relating to safety, please do explain where this safety concern issue is? My profession, for over 25 years is vehicle accident reconstruction and investigation and though I have not investigating every accident that has occurred, I personally have never seen, nor heard of a wheel being so inferior where it has ever been the proximate cause of an accident, nor a contributing factor of the accident. I have seen wheels separate, fracture post-impact, possibly where another wheel would not have done so, but for what happened to the wheel, one was not a direct cause of the accident, nor did it contribute to the safety of the vehicle or occupants in the vehicle.

So wheels are just wheels ;)

Audio representative?

Not to belittle any experience you may have in crash investigation, but given that the uk kills around 5 people every day in cars and injures about 200,000 a year, your experience can only amount to a very small sampling of the mayhem and misadventure that keeps you in steady work. Being in your role however, you might be able to lay your hands on some proper statistics unavailable to us outside your particular industry?

Your faith in these aftermarket wheel suppliers is at odds with your role in what must be a pretty gruesome and often distressing occupation. Personally, I feel that a company sufficiently lacking in ethics that it deliberately creates forgeries, infringes copyright and steals intellectual property in order to flog some cheap rims is unlikely to have put these products through a particularly rigorous test and certification program.

The acid test I suppose, is would you happily accept these wheels for your own car, or even that of your own son or daughter?

Wheels are absolutely not just wheels.

actually my experience is far beyond what you may believe, having worked many years in law enforcement major accident investigation plus as an insurance company crash investigator and currently self employed as the same. I am a very true representative as to state what a risk is when it comes to vehicles and accidents.

From your second, full paragraph, I now sense the reason for your post, as it seems to be more tied on ethics of a business producing "knock-offs" thus stealing another's design as apposed to the dangers...which simply are not there, despite even your linked Youtube vids that I could argue about endlessly...and win.

Mind you, my sense to your post is simple speculation based on my interpretation of what I read.

We could argue this point for some time, but I am not here to even attempt to change your opinions about this, just leave it up to other readers to reach their own conclusions. ;)

Best regards.

I think the You Tube video of the Mercedes wheel demonstrates quite well the difference between an OE wheel and a cheaper copy. The Alzor wheels are an ECS home brand so they have a company making them. Probably in China / Taiwan . They apparently meet the JWL, TUV and VIA specification for a light alloy wheel so will be subjected to some testing however I doubt they are as strong as an OE Ronal or BBS wheel.
Also the finish applied to these wheels tends to be inferior quality so they don't last as well as an OE wheel.
Following your logic that a wheel is a wheel do you also go with a Tyre is a tyre.
By the same logic it's black and round and they look the same. They are made from very much the same materials and have passed safety tests.So a cheap Chinese Ditchfinder tyre would be the tyre to fit.

I think the You Tube video of the Mercedes wheel demonstrates quite well the difference between an OE wheel and a cheaper copy. The Alzor wheels are an ECS home brand so they have a company making them. Probably in China / Taiwan . They apparently meet the JWL, TUV and VIA specification for a light alloy wheel so will be subjected to some testing however I doubt they are as strong as an OE Ronal or BBS wheel.
Also the finish applied to these wheels tends to be inferior quality so they don't last as well as an OE wheel.
Following your logic that a wheel is a wheel do you also go with a Tyre is a tyre.
By the same logic it's black and round and they look the same. They are made from very much the same materials and have passed safety tests.So a cheap Chinese Ditchfinder tyre would be the tyre to fit.

No, it's not the same logic.

These wheels cost $400 for all 4, the 19" OEMs will cost you $2,500+ for all 4. Of course the OEMs are going to last longer plus they have a longer manufacture warranty backing them.

The point of aftermarkets for me is to have an alternative wheel to switch out between winter tires and all seasons, and different style of wheel. I know these wheels are not better than the OEMs, but having driven them for a year I can contest to you directly that these aftermarkets are not equal to some ****** "Chinese" products you are attempting to apply with your analogy of Chinese tires.

So before you introduce a Chinese tire red herring, see that I and the person you are quoting are using our stock 225 R18 Continental tires on these aftermarket wheels.

ECS Tuning;85214047 said:
Alzor is simply our house brand for wheels, now with that said we can pass on the extreme savings to the customer! :cool:

Thanks for all the orders and feedback with our current line of Alzor wheels! :thumbup:

The entire line of alloy wheels from Alzor are inspected and go through rigorous quality control and durability testing. Wheels come with a TÜV Rheinlan approval, and the wheels themselves are stamped with the familiar JWL and VIA stamps. The JWL and VIA certifications are performed by the Japanese Government to ensure the safety of aftermarket alloy wheels through extensive testing. Alzor wheels meet or exceed these standards to ensure quality and safety on the road.

Andy

No, it's not the same logic.

These wheels cost $400 for all 4, the 19" OEMs will cost you $2,500+ for all 4. Of course the OEMs are going to last longer plus they have a longer manufacture warranty backing them.

The point of aftermarkets for me is to have an alternative wheel to switch out between winter tires and all seasons, and different style of wheel. I know these wheels are not better than the OEMs, but having driven them for a year I can contest to you directly that these aftermarkets are not equal to some ****** "Chinese" products you are attempting to apply with your analogy of Chinese tires.

So before you introduce a Chinese tire red herring, see that I and the person you are quoting are using our stock 225 R18 Continental tires on these aftermarket wheels.

finally, some common sense understanding and logic being stated. (translation, never believe everything *or most of* what you read or see online) :D

BTW, not everything made in China is junk or inferior, it's just a stigmata that has came about over the years because of the "knock-off" belief. With this logic, of other countries having inferior products, where does it stop...Italy? Oh wait that is where my OEM Audi wheels are manufactured (WTF? they're not German?) and they manufacture Ferrari's so, nothing that comes from Italy could ever be inferior! hahaha

Last edited:
@Kasper598

The question asked was whether you, who advocates that wheels are just wheels, consider whether the tyres are just tyres?

You claim a level of expertise and experience in a very relevant field of endeavour, yet despite this you profess that counterfeit products can be fitted to a car without issue. "Wheels are just wheels"

This single statement, and your refusal to acknowledge the fact that this absolutely cannot be the case whilst extolling the virtue of logic lends you no credibility whatsoever. I believe that the fact you have spent your own money and have fitted counterfeit wheels to your own car has clouded your judgement and makes your opinion extremely biased.

It doesn't matter how many times you write otherwise on this page, the facts and the logic are very simple. Any company or organisation indulging in simple copyright theft and producing counterfeit equipment and parts of any type, without license, authority and engineering assistance from the parts original maker and designer, is demonstrating a less than acceptable level of ethical behaviour. "Logically", we can expect this low level of ethics to extend to the way they treat quality control when the wheel is manufactured and the materials it is manufactured from. This introduces a large unknown in safety. The wheel may have suffered poor distribution of alloy in the mould, poor temperature control, substandard machining, porosity, inclusions, embrittlement, contamination and many other errors in process and (lack of) design that produce a wheel that looks just like the real thing, but lacks integrity. It might be ok, but equally it might be a stressed, brittle and fragile part that may disintegrate if you hit a pothole at high speed. That's the key difference. Given a set of wheels that can take an impact, deform in a controlled manner and enable you to stop safely, or a set half the price that might well catastrophically disintegrate with a lesser impact, I know which I'd choose.

It's reasonable that the lay person may not appreciate this and consider that wheels are indeed just wheels. But for someone who claims to be a long standing professional in accident investigation to entirely disregard it as a possibility and advocate that fake wheels couldn't possibly be dangerous is quite irresponsible.

The knock off 'stigma' (stigmata being an entirely different thing) associated with China and other nations in the Far East is well earned and well proven. It's not hand wringing xenophobic jingoism. if it were we British would hardly be likely to be buying German cars.

finally, some common sense understanding and logic being stated. (translation, never believe everything *or most of* what you read or see online) :D

BTW, not everything made in China is junk or inferior, it's just a stigmata that has came about over the years because of the "knock-off" belief. With this logic, of other countries having inferior products, where does it stop...Italy? Oh wait that is where my OEM Audi wheels are manufactured (WTF? they're not German?) and they manufacture Ferrari's so, nothing that comes from Italy could ever be inferior! hahaha

.............a crash site investigator who buys fake wheels..................I mean you just couldn't make it up!!

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
.............a crash site investigator who buys fake wheels..................I mean you just couldn't make it up!!

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg
Sounds like job creation to me...:whistle2:

Reactions: Simon L
You gentlemen are not worth any more of my time. Armchair / computer trolls in my opinion, that enjoy arguing with whomever you feel are a target against your own logic despite you having nothing to back up your "opinion" other than what you have read, somewhere, or seen thru a video, or for that matter on a newscast. I don't use opinions, being an expert in a field I use fact, based on training, evidence, research (from other professionals in and around my field)

And of course pburv, doing the oh-so-common forum troll behavior....belittlement (probably because he can not get away with any of that behavior to real people in his own life outside of a computer.)

Reactions: Snibo
Only thing I'm going to say in this thread in defense of my wheels which have been unfairly attacked.

Is that they are NOT counterfeit wheels, they ARE replicas, there is a BIG difference between the two.

automoblog.net said:
Myth #3: Replica wheels are the same as counterfeit or fake wheels

Fact: Replica wheels are not in the same category

Counterfeit or fake wheels are a copycat of the factory wheel and nothing more. Replica wheels have to meet a different standard with regard to patents and trademarks.

“Replicas are completely different and more of a factory, OEM standard in this way,” Blue said “A replica wheel can look like factory wheel but there is a slight variance so there is not trademark violation.”

Counterfeit or fake wheel manufactures are not obligated to any testing protocols either and are, as a result, putting your safety at risk. Counterfeiters have been known to pass off exaggerated stamping in an attempt to look genuine. Given the risk of this, these products are an inferior choice when compared to replica wheels.

“Nobody can just make a wheel and then put it on somebody’s car,” Blue said. “Our wheels go through testing so nobody dies of a structural flaw.”

Source: http://www.automoblog.net/2016/04/05/are-replica-wheels-safe/

ECS Tuning;85214047 said:
Alzor is simply our house brand for wheels, now with that said we can pass on the extreme savings to the customer! :cool:

Thanks for all the orders and feedback with our current line of Alzor wheels! :thumbup:

The entire line of alloy wheels from Alzor are inspected and go through rigorous quality control and durability testing. Wheels come with a TÜV Rheinlan approval, and the wheels themselves are stamped with the familiar JWL and VIA stamps. The JWL and VIA certifications are performed by the Japanese Government to ensure the safety of aftermarket alloy wheels through extensive testing. Alzor wheels meet or exceed these standards to ensure quality and safety on the road.

source: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6942807-Alzor-Wheels&p=85214047&viewfull=1#post85214047

Reactions: Kasper598
You gentlemen are not worth any more of my time. Armchair / computer trolls in my opinion, that enjoy arguing with whomever you feel are a target against your own logic despite you having nothing to back up your "opinion" other than what you have read, somewhere, or seen thru a video, or for that matter on a newscast. I don't use opinions, being an expert in a field I use fact, based on training, evidence, research (from other professionals in and around my field)

And of course pburv, doing the oh-so-common forum troll behavior....belittlement (probably because he can not get away with any of that behavior to real people in his own life outside of a computer.)

Easy there fella, we're all entitled to our opinion without being accusing of being trolls.

I wouldn't buy fake wheels on my car just to save a few hundred quid even if the risk factor was 0.000000001% .........these are wheels we're talking about after all so kind of important. Then again I wouldn't put aftermarkets on an Audi full stop...............but that's just me.

Easy there fella, we're all entitled to our opinion without being accusing of being trolls.

I wouldn't buy fake wheels on my car just to save a few hundred quid even if the risk factor was 0.000000001% .........these are wheels we're talking about after all so kind of important. Then again I wouldn't put aftermarkets on an Audi full stop...............but that's just me.

I'm pretty sure his wheels are "real". You guys and your choice of words.

If you ate Kellogg's Special K original cereal and I bought you a box of Malt-o-Meal Special M's bran cereal because I found them cheaper in price per ounce. I can guarantee to you the ingredients in this Special M cereal are "real", it's ingredients may not match Kellogg's Special K's 100 percent, but I am not providing you cereal that is made of toxic enriched fake plastic substances that could harm you if you ate it. You are simply getting a imitation cereal.

The same analogy applies here with these specific aftermarket wheels, they are replicas, not fake/counterfeit. These are are Alzor branded wheels compete with their own hub cap, which I switched out with Audi caps :wink:. But these wheels go through their own testing to meet regulations.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure his wheels are "real". You guys and your choice of words.

If you ate Kellogg's Special K original cereal and I bought you a box of Malt-o-Meal Special M's bran cereal because I found them cheaper in price per ounce. I can guarantee to you the ingredients in this Special M cereal are "real", it's ingredients may not match Kellogg's Special K's 100 percent, but I am not providing you cereal that is made of toxic enriched fake plastic substances that could harm you if you ate it. You are simply getting a imitation cereal.

The same analogy applies here with these specific aftermarket wheels, they are replicas, not fake/counterfeit. These are are Alzor branded wheels compete with their own hub cap, which I switched out with Audi caps :wink:. But these wheels go through their own testing to meet regulations.

Don't talk daft man, next you'll be telling us Tesco baked beans taste as good as Heinz!!

Reactions: gamegenie and pburv
Status
Not open for further replies.