3.0 Bitdi questions for owners

bigslippy

Reaction score
Hi all , had a test drive of a C7 A6 Bitdi saloon yesterday..... I'm smitten.

Before I take the plunge I have a few questions for current or previous owners.

I know the consumption figures provided by Audi are in ideal conditions etc. What mpg can one hope to achieve on town driving and going for a cruise?

How often and how much is it for a timing belt change, although I thought I seen somewhere it has 2 timing chains?

Anything I should look out for prior to purchase?

Regards

Neil

Welcome! Not sure about the timing chains side of things, but for fuel economy, I've seen 48 / 50 ish mpg on a run down to Dover a couple of weeks ago, proper 65/70 mph all the way there on the cruise control (I wasn't in a rush and honestly just wanted to see what it would do!).

My drive to work in the mornings is 50/50 town and m25, and regularly see 35mpg on a 18 mile journey.

Town only is anything from 20-25.

Average over 6 months is 35 mpg - but that said its a lot of weekend town "pottering"

All above taken from the dis as haven't done the brim to brim tests yet.

Hope that helps.

G

Reactions: bigslippy
No timing belts, it's chains and there is no interval for servicing. My long term average is just under 40mpg for 40,000 miles worked out on fills not from the DIS. It's kept quite high as about half my mileage is long runs and my commute is pretty long too. Round town it is mid 20s.

@jojo has one of these, I am sure he will be along soon :) .
As stated above these engines have chains at the rear that don't have a change interval, designed to last the life of the engine but probably good for 200K . There are belts on the front of the engine, the Injection pump is belt driven.

If you want a certain spec or package(like tech pack advanced or parking pack) get a car with it fitted. It is prohibitively expensive to retrofit most options so best to find the one you want. By the way, big discounts on new ones at the moment.

Regarding the mpg issue, my well run in example, @101k miles did 44.1mpg on the way home after I picked it up. But like most VAG cars, the DIS figure is rather optimistic to say the least!
My real world figure is 29/30mpg using brim to brim figures, despite my DIS telling me 35mpg average. That's with 50% town driving in traffic, and 50% A Road/Motorway. Gave my car an extended run a couple of weeks ago down the M5 and back up hoping to extract 40mpg, but nope, 33/34mpg average. lol

Not trying to put you off buying one, it's an amazing machine! But if mpg is a priority, buy a 2.0 tdi.

same as already said we are getting 33 ish no long runs as such just a bit of everything. Oh and when I get in it its mainly in sport mode :)

From Aberdeen to Sheffield I stick it on cruise at about 76-77 and got a brim to brim figure of 10 miles per litre. I do this trip 3-4 times a year and this is the usual mpg. Leaving Sheffield I tend to go a bit faster and it is always less on the way home! Even on high speed runs I am getting good figures but for sure stop start traffic and heavy acceleration really knock it.

Thanks all , its good to get a collective response. The car is nothing short of impressive..... 5k miles 2013, tech pack , heated front seats ...just need to agree a price.... they are looking for £32,000.....I keep saying to myself its the wrong side of 30:D

Reactions: jojo
wow thats lok mileage ours has done 96k on a 12 plate but was 20k :) got more toys than I can find lol
Its a dilemma ....seen similar with 23k miles £4000 cheaper .

what kind of mileage are you guys getting on your tyres and what make?

Got mine at £34k with 9k miles, about 5 months ago (63 plate) but it had EVERYTHING, BE saloon, LED, comfort close doors, 4 heated seats, heated wheel, Ambient light pack, heads up display, tech pack, Bose, advanced key, window blinds and probably a load of other stuff I haven't found yet! I ran it through the configurator on Audi.com and it nudged £60k, so I believe (man maths) that it was a bargain! I asked for £1k off it under the guise that I had no trade in, and was a cash buyer ready to sign on the dotted line immediately.

They said no initially, and I let them stew on it for a day (29th of the month), and then the call came back, with £500 off and I got them to throw in a service.

Deal done.

To be honest I was surprised - as there weren't many about, but hey - the end of the month strategy paid off.

Would you be paying cash or going Audi finance with them? haven't looked but there may be a deal to be done on a finance contribution on the car - on top of any deal you get, if you actually have the cash you could just pay the finance off within the cooling off period - they get commission on the finance too, and you could end up with a cracking deal????

Good luck whatever you decide, stonking cars!!

It should have had at least 1 service even at 5 k. My car came on Bridgestone Potenzas which were awful but swapped them for Michelin pilot sports and they were great. Got good mileage and wet grip is fantastic. I have got new Michelin PS3 to go on when I change from winters. Hoping to get 25k from them.

remember you can get 10 to 12k off the a6 from new so never let the dealers tell you it was a 60k car :)

34k was a good price for a low miler when I was looking.

Havn`t gone through a set of tyres yet we have only done 3k :)