Rear Washer Motor, Can i run WD40 Through?

Chrishuddie

A3 S-line
Reaction score
The Rear wiper motor is completely ********, Won't squirt, was oozing with gunk, rusty water all down the boot, and the wiper itself is sagging, the wiper hoze has nice orange particles coming through So i've ordered a new motor.

In the mean-time, Is it possible to run WD40 through the washer system to clear any gunk from where it's corroded and rusted and all that hoping it may prolong or remove it happening again. and then run through a few washes of clean water through sticking a bottle on the end of the hose? and just remember not to squirt whilst it's connected. - or will it damage anything or cause some nasty experience?...

On a side note; How easy is the wiper motor replacement? and will i need a pully to get the actual wiper off the back?, It's an 2009 s-line.

Last edited:
Unbelievable how common it is for the wiper motors to go.

I bought a ball joint removal tool from halfords, best investment ever to get the rear wiper motor off (30secs off) where as before was trying for 45 mins to try yank it off lol.

Motor itself 3 screws I believe - simple.

I didn't bother with wd40 through the pipe just in case. Just water and pump all the brown dirty water out until it's running clean under bucket, bought some wd-40 contact/electrical spray cleaner and sprayed that on switches that had water on it, cleaned and dryed with hair dryer and then used some silicone around the switch, motor seals and the washer pipe connection to motor to prevent future issues

Jobs a good one

Cheers for your reply, not had the motor long and I've got 4/5 issues all come up at once, typical really. I did read that the wiper motor is notorious for going wrong unfortunately.

I'll go grab a tool from halfords in the morning and replicate what you've done, sounds pretty straightforward, Cheers fella.

I recently did the same. My jet was clogged on the rear wiper which may or may not have been what caused the motor to fill up with gunk and leek. I bought a wiper removal tool from eBay and stripped he motor down. Cleaned all the brown crap back out and gave it a good clean out.
I put a bead of silicone around the edge before I re sealed the unit.
Also left the jet part in vinegar over night which cleaned both jets out. Blew through it with my compressor too.
All back together and working. No leaks now either.

Cheers for your reply, not had the motor long and I've got 4/5 issues all come up at once, typical really. I did read that the wiper motor is notorious for going wrong unfortunately.

I'll go grab a tool from halfords in the morning and replicate what you've done, sounds pretty straightforward, Cheers fella.

Is this to remove the motor from the boolid or the wiper arm from the motor? If it's the latter, I did the followng:
On my mates A3, we removed the plastic cap and the angled jet from the wiper arm. We undid the securing nut after using some WD-40. Then I suggested that we put the metal handle of a ratchet spnaaer (any metal rod/tool will suffice) underneath the wiper arm whilst grabbing each end of the handle and pulling up in short sharp pulls. This levered the wiper arm off easily.

Had the same issue on my B8 A4 Avant. Virtually the same poor design Valeo motor used on almost all VAG cars . The washer fluid passes through the centre of the shaft and the seals fail resulting in washer fluid filling the inside of the mechanism and rusting. Not a lot you can do other than replacing with the same part. I looked for a Bosch equivalent but couldn't find one.
They are around £60 for a genuine part. This was my rear wiper motor.

Original and replacement. The original is on the top

Yeah got it replaced Wiper arm was easy to get off, I was intrigued to the insides however, and it was in fact pretty bad...

Attachments

• 12650618_10208326328693025_1761663196_n.jpg
    12650618_10208326328693025_1761663196_n.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 149