Turbo & timing chain tensioner

joinerman

Reaction score
Cars going in tomorrow to have a new turbo, my mechanic reckons he can also do the left hand bank timing chain tensioner at the same time, i had the right hand bank done six months ago but it never really stopped the rattle on start up.
05 a4 3.0 tdi Avant

sorry to revive the thread but was it a big rattle on start up? my 3.0 tdi has just made a weird nose on start up twice today. but from multiple start up it ain't doing it . seems to be when it's left a 10 min or longer to get a bit cooler

Yes that sounds like tensioners, in that ten minuet period the oil drains from them & when you start the car they are dry for a second or two until the oil pressure gets back in them, mines in the garage as we speak with the engine out having new chains & tensioners.

Not sure exactly I'm having some other work done at the same time, the exhaust studs are letting oil from the gallery's seep down the threads & leak so new studs being sealed & fitted, the chain kit is £850 and i have to have a new clutch as well, all in £2400

Reactions: darren t