Timing chain issues.

-spm01-

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the b7's suffer from chain issues like previous models? I think I am hearing something in start up and I am hoping it is me just thinking I am hearing something that is not really there. Oh and its a s4 if that helps.

if its a clattering sound when stone cold then its either a tensioner or chain issue.

So the b7's can suffer with this as well then. Bummer.. I will get it round to my mates so he can have a listen. Will it only be from cold though??

Oooo haha, the dreaded "C" word, CHAIN.

I'm assuming yours is the 4.2 v8, so if thats the case, its down to opinion whether they should make a noise at start up. However, it is very very common, and there really arent that many 4.2 v8's who dont rattle at start, in fact a large number of audi chain driven engines commonly rattle at start up.

Theres many things to this, but it can boil down to hot starts or cold starts, and how long it rattles for. 1-2 seconds is generally accepted as ok, longer than that and you could have a problem. Cold start noises are normal (depending on your view point) because it takes a while to pressurise the chain tensioner. Warm start noises are not so good, which generally mean something is wrong. HOWEVER, these noises can also be a symptom of blocked oil check valves, which reduce the flow of oil to the tensioner.

You can pretty much guarantee that your chain tensioners will be cracked before 100k miles, which isnt just the 4.2 v8 either. Difference is, the 4.2 needs the engine out to change the tensioner and guides, which would cost between £2k and £4k depending on how friendly you are with your local garage (not that many would take the job on anyway haha)

Best to either get it checked out, or put a video up on here. If the car drives fine, with no codes, or misfires or any noises what so ever, then chances are it'll be fine. A lot of people have the engine taken out to sort the nosies at GREAT expense, only to find that months or years later, it all comes back again. But on the other side of things, if its really really bad whilst driving, then the chain "could" jump, which at worst case ruin the engine, and at best just bend some vavles.

So definitely get it listened to for piece of mind, but dont think thats yours is the only car to make noises at startup, cause it'd be more uncommon for it to not make any noise haha.

Oooo haha, the dreaded "C" word, CHAIN.

I'm assuming yours is the 4.2 v8, so if thats the case, its down to opinion whether they should make a noise at start up. However, it is very very common, and there really arent that many 4.2 v8's who dont rattle at start, in fact a large number of audi chain driven engines commonly rattle at start up.

Theres many things to this, but it can boil down to hot starts or cold starts, and how long it rattles for. 1-2 seconds is generally accepted as ok, longer than that and you could have a problem. Cold start noises are normal (depending on your view point) because it takes a while to pressurise the chain tensioner. Warm start noises are not so good, which generally mean something is wrong. HOWEVER, these noises can also be a symptom of blocked oil check valves, which reduce the flow of oil to the tensioner.

You can pretty much guarantee that your chain tensioners will be cracked before 100k miles, which isnt just the 4.2 v8 either. Difference is, the 4.2 needs the engine out to change the tensioner and guides, which would cost between £2k and £4k depending on how friendly you are with your local garage (not that many would take the job on anyway haha)

Best to either get it checked out, or put a video up on here. If the car drives fine, with no codes, or misfires or any noises what so ever, then chances are it'll be fine. A lot of people have the engine taken out to sort the nosies at GREAT expense, only to find that months or years later, it all comes back again. But on the other side of things, if its really really bad whilst driving, then the chain "could" jump, which at worst case ruin the engine, and at best just bend some vavles.

So definitely get it listened to for piece of mind, but dont think thats yours is the only car to make noises at startup, cause it'd be more uncommon for it to not make any noise haha.

Rambo, thanks for your comprehensive reply pal. I will definatly get it listened to, but doubt I will getbit done due to the cost involved. It is only on start up and aoart from that the car runs and drives fine si hopefully it is just a but of noise. Do you know if there is a ckeaner I can get to try and clran the oil valves incase it is just them?

I wouldn't worry about yours, as rambo says, a 1to 2 sec rattle is fine. What you call a rattle could just be the tensioner filling and pressurizing with oil but should only happen when the car has been standing all night. Be worried when you have rattling with a hot engine, thats when a real problem arises.
Nowt you can do about cleaning the oil valve or tensioner but if the oil has not been changed within 12months or a 8000miles then do it now. Regular oil changes with the correct oil will preserve your precious V8 motor for a good few years yet, enjoy it, I miss mine.