Plasti dip

Adam power

Reaction score
Wanted to get my chrome trim wrapped but refused to pay the extortionate prices found this stuff on You Tube quality.

Carlas colourful rubber spray film EBay. Great thing about it is if you mess up just peel it off and start again

How easy does it peal. My thinking is with paint you could touch up a scratch. But with this if it gets snagged it will peel. And I imagine not as easy to touch up so easy. Thoughts?

But looks cool. Would love to do something like that to my Sline grill. Are you going to leave the rings chrome?

Prep wise all I did was wash and dry and a wipe over the chrome with some white spirits. Once the first coat was on the chrome it went on fine. I found little and often was better. I was going to do the rings in red but I'm thinking leave them black

@isnski68 the grill was the same as yours befor I sprayed it.

Yeah but you could do it with the grill on the car tbf. I had this one spare as I've already got a black one on. Easy enough to take the bumper off.

To remove the grill is it a bumper off job?

yep, its your favourite job again mate, its starting to look like everything you want to do involves removing the front bumper lol.....

Reactions: martin1984
yep, its your favourite job again mate, its starting to look like everything you want to do involves removing the front bumper lol.....

So if I want to change my brake light bulb, do I have to remove the Front bumper for that as well.Lol

Reactions: CraigRE
i think it maybe a requirement on your specific car mate.......

Reactions: martin1984
Plasti-dip on the grill does a great job, but when it comes to peeling the stuff off its a nightmare, ok if you have a full day spare.
Better off taking the grill off scotchbrite the whole lot 2x coats of plastic primer and 3x coats of satin black.
Total cost in paint £10 from Euro car parts.

If it's hard to peel you probably haven't put enough of it on, needs to be a good few heavy coats to get a good peel with it. I've never painted a whole grill with it tho, only the chrome surround and rings.

i would imagine that trying to peel it off from the whole grille may be a real issue, from the surround and rings pretty straight forward due to there shape etc, but all those slats and edges on the grille may well a real nightmare to peel .

a thought has just dropped into my grey cells now, any reason why this carlas product couldnt be used on the brightwork around the windows and roof rails. if the surrounding area was masked properly it would be an ideal alternative option to do away with faded trim etc.

Personally I'm glad it doesn't peel easy. That was me big worry. Want something that is a little hard wearing.

a thought has just dropped into my grey cells now, any reason why this carlas product couldnt be used on the brightwork around the windows and roof rails. if the surrounding area was masked properly it would be an ideal alternative option to do away with faded trim etc.

It wouldn't last long with the wear and tear of the door seals constantly closing on it. It would also be very hard to mask as you use a different masking technique as you would for normal paint so doing round the window rubbers is a nightmare. From my experience it wears great on bits like a grill surround, it's resistant to stone chips, washes and power washes with no problems but if you catch it with something sharp it will tear and because it's slightly elasticated a small scratch opens up quickly. If it does get damaged you're peeling and starting again as it's not really possible to re-do damaged bits to a standard that totally hides it.

It wouldn't last long with the wear and tear of the door seals constantly closing on it. It would also be very hard to mask as you use a different masking technique as you would for normal paint so doing round the window rubbers is a nightmare. From my experience it wears great on bits like a grill surround, it's resistant to stone chips, washes and power washes with no problems but if you catch it with something sharp it will tear and because it's slightly elasticated a small scratch opens up quickly. If it does get damaged you're peeling and starting again as it's not really possible to re-do damaged bits to a standard that totally hides it.

So spraying the grill with paint would be a better choice would you say

ok, thanks for clearing that up, look like a wrapping excercise then.

So spraying the grill with paint would be a better choice would you say

No, the opposite. I would think paint would chip easier and I personally prefer the satin sort of finish with Plastidip. The last one I did I Plastidipped the rings, chrome surround and the plate holder but leaving the actual slats in the original dark grey and it looked really nice.
I also did the rear valance and it lasted great until I changed it for a carbon one. Less commonly known is that it is also very resistant to heat, I did my tail pipes with it and 2 years on and it still looks good.

Reactions: James.c
ok, thanks for clearing that up, look like a wrapping excercise then.

Personally I think roof rails are best powder coated especially if you use them. Side chrome work is probably best wrapped or properly painted, mine were wrapped a while ago and it's lasted longer than I ever thought it would but when they start looking poorly I'll do them in satin black paint.

I used de chrome tape it's on eBay for £21 and it's really easy to use and you get enough to do 2 cars, item number
111853187603. It goes round all the trim in 1 piece.
Done it on my a4 and it looks the mutts nuts.
I would load a image but it won't let me for some reason.

Attachments

• 1451596823502.jpg
    1451596823502.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 306
  • 1451596823186.jpg
    1451596823186.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 257
The trim around the Windows would 100% be a mind f#%€ due to masking off and the fact the doors need to be open to cover all the trim. Badges and rear spliter have been done. Like someone said you need to give it a good few coats for it to look good and most of all stay on. I got the jet wash out on it the next day and it was all good. Defo going to give the trim tape a go @lcfc-uk

I've never seen anyone plastidip exhaust tailpipes before. I have visions of dripping plastic that's on fire lol.

I've never seen anyone plastidip exhaust tailpipes before. I have visions of dripping plastic that's on fire lol.

I'd just got the exhaust and didn't want to commit to paint and potentially spoil the shiny stainless so thought it was worth a try and looked into it. Initially I was just going to do it and not run the car to see what it looked like but turns out it can withstand 300 degrees F so it's basically been on ever since.

As previously stated, it peels a lot better when applied thickly. I've used it on various things in the past (even suspension springs, bad idea) and when applied thinly it's a lot tougher to peel in large sections.

I can also attest to it being fine on tailpipes. I didn't mask mine when I test sprayed my rear valance and got them somewhat coated. Didn't clean it off and it stayed on just fine, even when the pipes were too warm to touch.

Halfords sell the Rustoleum version of it in a reasonable number of colours. The silver is described as matte so might mimic the aluminium effect of roof bars, RS4 trim etc. I'm tempted to try it on my badges, I have a hatred of chrome things.

I'd just got the exhaust and didn't want to commit to paint and potentially spoil the shiny stainless so thought it was worth a try and looked into it. Initially I was just going to do it and not run the car to see what it looked like but turns out it can withstand 300 degrees F so it's basically been on ever since.

That is great to know, especially as I have a tin and I have toyed with ceramic tips. Nice one dude.