1.4 TFSI C.O.D v 1.6 TDI

MrMoo28

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking at getting my first Audi and looking for advice on what may be best suited, 1.4 petrol with cylinder on demand or 1.6 diesel. I currently drive a 1.6 diesel Hyundai i30.

My commute is about 36 miles each way, each day - about 10 minutes at 30 then the remainder in dual carriage way at 70. Then I do about 2000 business miles per year, plus weekend trips out etc.

Diesel has the obvious benefits of higher mpg so lower fuel costs. On a test drive today I did notice the diesel was quite sluggish in lower gears, in fact I think my Hyundai could beat it off the mark until 3rd gear.

Is the 1.4 petrol quite snappy, or would you say it's not worth it compared to cheaper fuel costs of the diesel. Would the cylinder on demand even kick in to do whatever it does on a mainly 65-70mph commute?

Thanks

I've just bought a 1.6 TDI and I don't think its sluggish at all in lower gears :) I know with the test drive I did in a 1.6 TDI, the sales person switched the Audi Drive Select to economy to start then I started playing around and switched it to dynamic. When it's in economy the throttle response is lowered so it might well have felt sluggish in that driving mode if you understand what I mean :)

I've just bought a 1.6 TDI and I don't think its sluggish at all in lower gears :) I know with the test drive I did in a 1.6 TDI, the sales person switched the Audi Drive Select to economy to start then I started playing around and switched it to dynamic. When it's in economy the throttle response is lowered so it might well have felt sluggish in that driving mode if you understand what I mean :)

Thanks for the quick reply. Perhaps it's just getting used to driving a different car, I'm sure I'd get used to it. The sales guy kept messing with the drive select options to show me the different settings as I drove. The car I drove had the sports suspension and if he hadn't have told me I don't think I'd have noticed to be fair, contrary to reviews / forum posts I've read saying sports suspension is too firm. But then I didn't hit a pot hole or speed bump!

I have the 1.6tdi Sport S-Tronic. I can also confirm it ain't sluggish off the mark. On my daily commute I'm getting 50-55mpg over a 7 mile drive. The S-line suspension is the firm one, Sport in the middle and SE on the softer side. The engine is great at getting up to cruising speed but if you're pushing on it levels out in terms of grunt. However, for everyday driving its prefect for me. I've taken it from Motherwell to St.Annes and back on one tank with plenty fuel to spare. My fill up from 1/4 of a tank left is around 38-40 quid and that lasts me 3 weeks. I think you'll find it much more responsive than your current car. I've driven the Focus 1.6TDCI 115 and it wouldn't pull you out your bed. Given the A3 is 110bhp but has plenty torque on hand very low down the Rev range. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: FR4NC15
Great stuff, thanks for the replies! Just waiting for pay day / xmas bonus then will be able to put deposit down. Then a wait til April no doubt...

I have the 1.6tdi Sport S-Tronic. I can also confirm it ain't sluggish off the mark. On my daily commute I'm getting 50-55mpg over a 7 mile drive. The S-line suspension is the firm one, Sport in the middle and SE on the softer side. The engine is great at getting up to cruising speed but if you're pushing on it levels out in terms of grunt. However, for everyday driving its prefect for me. I've taken it from Motherwell to St.Annes and back on one tank with plenty fuel to spare. My fill up from 1/4 of a tank left is around 38-40 quid and that lasts me 3 weeks. I think you'll find it much more responsive than your current car. I've driven the Focus 1.6TDCI 115 and it wouldn't pull you out your bed. Given the A3 is 110bhp but has plenty torque on hand very low down the Rev range. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Couldn't agree more with everything said here :)

Reactions: Scottyg
Is the 1.4 petrol quite snappy, or would you say it's not worth it compared to cheaper fuel costs of the diesel. Would the cylinder on demand even kick in to do whatever it does on a mainly 65-70mph commute?

Thanks
Just to put in some points for the 1.4 TFSI COD. It's not quite snappy - it's very snappy :racer:
As far as your question about the COD function is concerned. If you are driving at 65-70 on a motorway, then it would be in 2 cylinder mode whenever the gradient is downhill and much of the time on the flat - basically whenever you ease off the throttle. I've even seen it cut in at 80 on the motorway when cruising, but not often though. You never know when it cuts in, other than it showing on the DIS.
However, as far as what actual effect it has, I'm not convinced.

I've had a (used) 1.6tdi S line since August. I'm averaging mid 50's MPG - I don't do very many short journeys though. On a longer motorway trip I can get over 60 mpg - if I don't exceed 70mph (ish). I came from a Vauxhall 1.8 petrol, the big difference I notice is that the higher gears are less forgiving but I find the lower gears reasonably punchy. I've had drive select on auto until recently when I switched to Dynamic- doesn't appear to have adversely affected mpg.

In some ways I think I should have stuck with Petrol as I don't do a big mileage - that said the price differential on a full tank (50 litres) is currently only about £1 in total and I'm getting upwards of 40% more to the gallon compared to my previous Astra !
I think for your mileage and profile I'd be giving serious consideration to the diesel, possibly the 2.0 tdi if you fancy a bit more pull in the higher gears ?

Driven both, the 1.4 is by far the more interesting to drive, quiet, smooth and far more perky than the oil burner. Handling is snappy too as it doesn't have the heavy lump of a engine over the front wheels. MPG? not enough in it to warrant the extra cost and your hands won't be smelly after re-fuelling. Plus the 1.4 has the same torque but more power in the 150 version...

Driven both, the 1.4 is by far the more interesting to drive, quiet, smooth and far more perky than the oil burner. Handling is snappy too as it doesn't have the heavy lump of a engine over the front wheels. MPG? not enough in it to warrant the extra cost and your hands won't be smelly after re-fuelling. Plus the 1.4 has the same torque but more power in the 150 version...

Hmm, not sure. Just based on "reviews" on here re the COD I suspect there's a fair bit it in. Add to that zero road tax on the 1.6 tdi and it's enough to send the more economically minded of us into a tailspin (I was paying £220 per year on my previous car, adds up over the length of time I generally keep my cars).
Not trying to defend the diesel, as I said I think I should have probably gone petrol, but horses for courses.

The diesel is zero tax but the petrol is only £20 (after the first year free), so the difference there is not significant really.

In my experience, the 1.6 is perfectly fine for keeping up with traffic and normal driving but the moment you want some fun you realise it's got nothing left to give. The 1.4 isn't a rocketship but the extra power is very noticeable the moment you start driving above 3000rpm.

You'll probably get an extra 10mpg out of the diesel which could save you around £300 a year with that mileage...

In my experience, the 1.6 is perfectly fine for keeping up with traffic and normal driving but the moment you want some fun you realise it's got nothing left to give. The 1.4 isn't a rocketship but the extra power is very noticeable the moment you start driving above 3000rpm.

You'll probably get an extra 10mpg out of the diesel which could save you around £300 a year with that mileage...
Well, yes, this pretty much. It's what I was alluding to in my thread "Bought the Wrong Engine" The 1.6 tdi will happily sit in normal traffic flow but I do find it a little "breathless" for the motorway at times. If I was doing big motorway miles I'd go with the 2.0 tdi - bit of a no brainer. Fortunately I don't, which is kind of why I'm thinking I should have gone with the 1.4 petrol over the 1.6 diesel. Which brings us back nicely to the o/p.

On the same roads, my daily run to work, the differences in average mpg between my 1.4 and the 1.6 loaner was more or less exactly the same. I can't say how much differences there would be on long run but with the 2.0l diesel mondeo I had it was more or less exactly the same. It all depends upon the mileage you do each year but modern petrol engines are far more refined on the motorway.

Dilemna over, order placed.

I've gone with the A3 Sportsback Sport Nav 1.6 TDI. Just based on the amount of miles I'll be doing, majority dual carriageways (A11 / A14 FR4NC15!) I think it will probably be better for me.

Just waiting on a "comm number" to track my build but expected mid-march. I was allotted the last spec-modifiable pre-order for the dealership in Bury St Edmunds. Went through CarWow and got myself 8.6% discount (plus I think it was £299 deposit contribution from the dealership on top).

Options wise:
Ibis White - I saw the solid and metallic next to each other and couldn't tell the difference!
Comfort Pack - I don't see myself using CC though... too much traffic on the road with up and down speeds!
Tech Pack with mobile - High with Connect - Saw the bigger screen and couldn't resist lol. I hope I will use the additional phone and online features...
5-arm 'kinetic' alloys - I didn't like the look of the standard alloys on the Sport trim
Folding door mirrors - I'm sure I can cope without the dimmable one
Deletion of engine technology badge - Just a dirt trap otherwise. A14 is a filthy filthy road...
B&O speaker system - partner's dad has it on his S5... couldn't say no
Storage and luggage pack - I saw you don't get a removable parcel shelf otherwise which is VERY useful
Hill hold assist
Audi parking system plus with park assist - front and rear sensors will be very useful. The self parking.. maybe just a gimmick... but a cool gimmick!
Non-smoking package

What do people genuinely think about the Sport suspension. I've read so many reviews and they all said downgrade to SE. When I test drove a 1.6 TDI Sport the dealership didn't tell me it was Sport suspension until afterwards, when we went through my configuration, and to be honest I didn't tell at all whilst driving that it was too firm. Just felt... normal. (no speed bumps though en route..)

Cheers for all your earlier help though all!

Sounds good, my 1.6tdi is the standard S line spec with Sat Nav - buying second hand you get what you're given !
I'm assuming it's on Sport suspension (although I've never been able to confirm, the only thing I know for sure is that's it not on SE suspension - quite a noticeable difference in wheel arch gap for examples that I've seen with that). The ride on mine is a little on the "firm" side shall we say but my last two cars had the same size wheels as the S line so it isn't anything I'm not used to.
One thing that has started to bug me about the 1.6, and it really, really shouldn't, is the single pip exhaust. First world problems and all that..

Comfort Pack - I don't see myself using CC though... too much traffic on the road with up and down speeds!

You could add the Adaptive Cruise Control as this will cope with the up & down speeds. You don't say if you went manual or S-tronic, the ACC works especially well with the S-tronic gearbox.

Audi parking system plus with park assist - front and rear sensors will be very useful. The self parking.. maybe just a gimmick... but a cool gimmick!

I did think about getting this but went with just the front & rear sensors in the end as I didn't think i'd really use it after the novelty factor wore off.

I've gone with the A3 Sportsback Sport Nav 1.6 TDI. Just based on the amount of miles I'll be doing, majority dual carriageways (A11 / A14 FR4NC15!) I think it will probably be better for me.

I know exactly what you mean with the A11 and A14!! You've definitely better off with the diesel trudging up and down those roads.

Oh and good luck keeping the white nice and clean on the roads around us!! :p

I test drove both SE and Sport suspension. Sport was fine on main roads but we found it too rough on country roads so took the SE. I'm glad I did. It's quite firm enough IMO.

I also considered the park assist but concluded that it was a gimmick. I do have rear camera though, which I like.

If you can still modify, look at high beam assist - I like it and it's cheap.
And you should get lumbar support - also cheap.

That's a well spec'd A3. Nice one.

From what I hear Hill Hold Assist isn't particularly useful for everyone. If I were to go re-spec my car I'd for everything you have + what RichardT said. I'd remove Hill Hold Assist - sounds like a hindrance.

Maybe ACC as well though I've also heard negativity about it - lots of manual intervention needed.

S-Tronic?

Ah sorry, manual not S-Tronic.

Never driven an auto before and think I'd rather stick to a manual, at least til I get a lot older!

I thought for £90 why not have the hold assist. Not much of a waste if not used.

There were some other specs I maybe would've added (interior light pack probably) but didn't want to splash out too much.

Yeah white on the A11/A14 is gonna be tricky, but I already try and wash my car every weekend. Not that it helps as by the time I'm home from work on Monday evening it's filthy.

How long do you typically have to modify the specs? I've got my login for the yourAudi website now and it says expected to begin construction 25th Jan. Do I have until then to modify if I so wish?

Not sure when it gets locked but the interior light pack is definitely worth it. As regards the hold assist the demo I drove had it & I wasn't keen but other people seem to like it.

Just need to wait for payday to see what xmas bonus may be and I'll see if I can add the interior light pack to my deposit amount so it doesn't affect finance.

It's called Hold Assist, not Hill......
You don't really need it to stop you rolling on hills.
I specced it because folks on here thought it was great and they kept it on all the time. When I got my car I turned it on and left it. Didn't really like it because it always seemed to lurch when starting off, when the brakes released.
Now I am more used to the car and the s-tronic I realise that you need to be a bit more subtle.
Now I really like it if I am in a stop/start queue. I just turn it on and then you don't need to keep your foot on the brake.
Then the slightest gentle blip on the gas starts the car, and a second blip releases the brake and you start moving forward. In that mode I quite like it. But generally speaking I keep it turned off.
Bottom line - I would spec it again cos it's pretty cheap. But not vital IMO.

I ordered hold assist as thought it was hill hold which comes as standard, haven't used it yet. I'd defo bin it & get the interior light pack instead, footwell, door lights & puddle lights are a much better option IMO.:hi:

I've seen a few people say it's hold assist not hill hold assist on here. I just checked my Audi configurator app and it definitely says "hill hold assist"

Pic of the app attached

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    457.1 KB · Views: 159
Hold Assist makes sense as it doesn't just work on hills.

I can't remember the one that comes as standard? Or at least standard with S-Tronics?

Something already stops me rolling back and it's definitely not Hold Assist.

Hold Assist makes sense as it doesn't just work on hills.

I can't remember the one that comes as standard? Or at least standard with S-Tronics?

Something already stops me rolling back and it's definitely not Hold Assist.
Brochure calls that Hill Hold. You would have thought that Audi would come up with clearer differentiation of the names.

Brochure calls that Hill Hold. You would have thought that Audi would come up with clearer differentiation of the names.

I know. But I guess VW, Skoda, Audi etc. need to agree between them what they should call the same thing...Audi might have drawn the short straw for these two options...