vvt camshaft adjustment help pls

makster1978

Reaction score
hi can someone help me with this please i have a a3 1.8t sum 2001,i have engine code 17939 camshaft adjustment (n205) part number is c27 13 007 02 21 600 005 f

My car is a bit tappy from near the timing belt in the mornings but the noise will clear after a 10 minute run and comes back on cold starts,i am assuming this is to do with the vvt tentioner,rosstech says check fuse/wiring but not sure were to find this fuse i am guessing its not with the rest of them on the side of the dash maybe somewhere in the engine?

I have had the vvt off and give it a clean which was leaking some oil but i still get the code after clearing it,any help on this will be appreciated thanks

*Edited to make it readable*

Last edited by a moderator:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17939/P1531/005425
17939/P1531/005425 - Camshaft Timing Adjustment: Open Circuit

There is a fuse that is for a fair few of the engines sensors... is this the only code or are there more? fuses are found either in the side of the dash or on top of the battery... can't remember off hand which fuse it is though sorry...

Normally is a fuse goes it takes a bunch of other sensors etc with it and you end up with a bunch of fault codes... if its just this one then could be a wiring fault

<tuffty/>

thanks for reply tufty,i did have a bunch of codes to start with now i am just left with 17939 and 17704 which relates either coolant sensor which i replaced with a new one or thermostat which does need changing as temps are a bit up and down still mainly at 90 tho but i will get that changed after i have sorted this issue,not much chance of the vvt being duff then? just to mention no warning lights on the dash or mil light

Last edited:
Every chance that the VVT is duff but have not seen one fail electrically yet... normally they wear out mechanically and lose oil pressure so they can't adjust the cams... typically throwing the setpoint not reached code you have now but as you have the open circuit code it suggests an electrical issue...

I would be still looking at an electrical issue first as a new VVT will set you back between 250 to 400 odd quid depending if you go GSF or dealer

Should also point out that posting all codes no matter how irrelevant you may think they are can help as a lot of codes while seemingly unrelated could be symptomatic of something that won't have a fault code (mechanical issue for example)... all helps with the diagnosis

<tuffty/>

ok the vvt was leaking quite bad especially around the connecter when i removed it, also the little piston inside was loose poping in and out,ii have seen a used vvt on fleebay for £25 apparently in working condition i will go for that if uncessfull with the fuses and post back,do you think this could be related to the tapping i get near the timing belt on cold starts also at idle it slightly flickers on 800 rpm

Tapping could be a sticky follower... typical for the noise to go away when the engine has warmed... could also be an oil pressure issue...

<tuffty/>

thanks m8 is there another name for the follower or could you point me in the direction were to look cheers