Fitting a sub

vr6gordy

Reaction score
Wanna fit a big sub in my boot but wanna keep rns e what do I need to to do

Use a decent speaker to rca converter for signal then power from battery. Earth. Remote turn on and then sub and amp of choice. Simples.

Thought there was an rca from the head unit I could use for the sub

The RNS_E don't have Rca outputs you will have to get a converter like what's been said already

you could just get your rca feed from the standard amplifier and also the remote feed too
You will have to run a fused feed from the battery still
There's always a way

buy the proper rnse head unit converter
dont buy speaker to rca converters you will get noise problems from it
there are two different ones
one which just gives a subwoofer output via rca or one which gives a full range output and subwoofer output
depending on which speakers your planning on amplifying by appropriately
make sure you the correct sized power cable preferably copper not cca cable ... copper clad aluminium (check before you buy )
fuse the power cable within 18 inches of the battery with the correct sized fuse

rule of thumb is this
a class a/b amplifier is generally 50% efficient if the amplifier were for instance capable of 1000 watts output
it would require 2000 watts input to achieve 1000 watts output
divide the number of watts by 12 and this will give you maximum current draw
then check if the cable is capable of holding that current over whatever length your power cable is

fitting stereo equipment properly is not as easy as people make it out to be
check on sites like connect 2 and autoleads which wiring harness adaptor you need

You can use a decent speaker to RCA converter but when I say decent it does have a be a DECENT one or as above you will get niose problems and "popping" when amp/sub turns on and off. I have just used a "Cerwin Vega iOEM6" 6 channel liine driver / speaker to RCA interfaqce in a good customer of ours at works bright orange Lambo Gallardo spider and works absolutely awesome. It is nearly £200 though. You dont need to go that far obv. Any good quality unit will have signal sensing "turn on" for the amps and will be powered with gain adjustment as its a build in line driver to up the signal voltage down the RCA to the amplifier for better sound. Just dont buy anything cheap and nasty as they are awful.

i see what your saying perry
but the price of the a proper rnse lead to give phono out is about £25 just a little bit more than the nasty cheap speaker to line level convertors
you do not need to spend a lot of money on such things as line drivers in this car granted in certain cars you have no option but to use something like jl audio cleansweep or a speaker to line level convertor
most amplifiers nowadays are not capable of accepting high voltage inputs unfortunately
car audio is a bit like audi as in the older it is the better its usually built and performs

If I ever get the motivation/time I fancy trying a spare tyre sub.

Not much point in continuing thread as OP has done a runner because no one liked his headlights .

Reactions: jimbob79