how to make most of a k04 hybrid

daz-20vt

Reaction score
His guys
So it's becoming more apparent that I'll be keeping my k04 hybrid.
After only a few months on the car the head gasket went.

So
What can I do to maximise this set up

Porting the hit side.
How effective is this?

Anything else I can port
I'm also on a 2 nozzle wmi set up now that I wasn't before so I'm hoping to have the map tweaked. Any ideas guys?

Head upgrade for sure
3.5 inch downpipe for a hybrid
Interesting.

What about this porting hots ide is there really anything to be had here?
I saw a few examples on bills fb page of before and after and some are horrific!!

Real gain some here?

Porting help.... Port matching.. you would be surprised how much the hotsides vary in their centre holes vs mounting bolt holes.. Very inconsistent leading to overlaps if not matched to their respective manifolds

^ Ive been emailing Bill about this, im gonna get mine port matched when im swopping the head over on my car in a few weeks time
Possible choke point? "its all about the flow" innit? ha ha

n/a exhaust camshaft will help
V4 mani dont make a good flow at high rpm

Hi bill
Tbh I've gone through your old fb pages
(Back in 2014)
And seen how awful some can be. And from a plumbing point of view they would cause flow issues for
So well worth doing in your opinion bill.
I also assume you offer some porting service?
Thanks for the replies guys!
I want to get the ****** thing done now. Been off road too long

Hi bill
Tbh I've gone through your old fb pages
(Back in 2014)
And seen how awful some can be. And from a plumbing point of view they would cause flow issues for
So well worth doing in your opinion bill.
I also assume you offer some porting service?
Thanks for the replies guys!
I want to get the ****** thing done now. Been off road too long

I do and all my builds have this process. and yes, as is my mantra (much copied by others) "Its all About the Flow" indeed.

Doing away with any and all unwanted steps in the flow path, be it misfitting joins, changes of pipe section, tight bends etc... all helps (or hinders if its not ideal)

Some are terrible.
So any idea on cost for doing this bill?
Defo got to be done in think.
Also I'm on a pro4 man
Any use in porting that anywhere?

Can you explain how a camshaft can help flow in a manifold ??
IF that manifold has reached its flow limit that is
If the exhaust valve stays more time open, the exhaust pulse will have less pressure
less exhaust pressure means less egt and more flow
i made a picture
FullSizeRender 36

If the exhaust valve stays more time open, the exhaust pulse will have less pressure
less exhaust pressure means less egt and more flow
i made a picture
View attachment 68956
See, the way I see it is if you have increased flow through the head, which you would with longer duration if that is what you're implying, you are then just going to choke the manifold. And if that manifold is already at its flow limit which is what you said, then there is no increase in flow to be had.

My idea is backed up by the fact that cams seem to have no effect on performance at ko4/hybrid levels (see bills, prawns tests).

Also at high rpm, I doubt the manifold is seeing much in the way of 'pulses'

OK I've been toying with whether or not I should ask.
But it's my car and I want the best for it.
It's been hinted that the v4 mani may be slightly lacking top end.
I am I reading too much into this?
Don't want to start a war but if anyone is brave enough let me know. Failing that pm me lol

A K04 hybrid on a V4 manifold has done 370+ hp on Bills dyno so flow limitation is the hotside (as shown by Bill's cams test on the Lupo) at this point...

Bottle neck moves as you release flow elsewhere.... I'd be pretty certain that bolting that same K04 hybrid setup and V4 mani to my engine would still only net 370 ish hp tops... and my setup is already proven to make more than that...

...and no... I am not going to test it :D

<tuffty/>

Reactions: westcoast a3
See, the way I see it is if you have increased flow through the head, which you would with longer duration if that is what you're implying, you are then just going to choke the manifold. And if that manifold is already at its flow limit which is what you said, then there is no increase in flow to be had.

My idea is backed up by the fact that cams seem to have no effect on performance at ko4/hybrid levels (see bills, prawns tests).

Also at high rpm, I doubt the manifold is seeing much in the way of 'pulses'
With exhaust camshaft the turbo boost drops because less pressure in exhaust manifold, n75 must be tweaked.
With only exhaust camshaft the engine produce a litle more power with less turbo boost.
With the 2 camshaft the overlap kill the litle turbo.

What about large port heads and inlet manifolds?
When do the small ones become a problem??
Bare I mind my head gaskets gone so I need to sort a head regardless

As far as I'm aware you wouldn't see any gains from a LP head or high flow mani with a hybrid K04.
Someone please correct me if I'm talking sh*te here but I was lead to believe the K04 can not achieve the flow required to support a LP head or mani and from what I understand you would lose some low end torque

Steve

Last edited:
Hmmmm I thought it was low end top but hoping it might open the top end a bit

So what's the starting point of needing large port stuff

Porting only the exhaust side from head its good
FullSizeRender 30

Reactions: Gops
Not entirely sure how "on the way"
Scotland is going from Watford to stone house