RNSE - navigation freezes / stops

Rhyso

Reaction score
Afternoon all

The last couple of months the nav part of my MK2 RNSE has been playing up. As I am nearing my destination the voiceover gives me a direction but then stops just as she is about to announce the name place. This is then followed by the directions in the DIS disappearing. From this point on I have visual navigation on the screen but no voice directions and no directions in the DIS

The only way to restore nav guidance is to stop route guidance and then restart it but yesterday even this wasn't always successful. On a couple of occasions the unit displays an error saying DVD navigation medium not present / error

I've run a disk cleaner through the unit as from my research it suggested that here may be dirt within the unit but that hasn't worked :(

I bought the unit 3 years ago and it's worked perfectly up until a couple of months ago. I can only think that using a non-genuine disk may have caused this issue??

VCDS shows no erros after the problem occurs and all other functions work perfectly

Can anyone shed any light? Does it sound like the laser within the unit is failing??

yes or a nice fat chunk of crud on the lens of the laser . remove rnse undo the 5 screws holding the top case on and clean the laser with a qtip and alcohol (not a pint of guinness mind)

Reactions: Rhyso
Yeap, cd cleaners are useless for rns-e laser lenses, 4 ear buds & a bit of spit is what I use, so no chemical affects anything within a such, (unless I've had a few pints that is), never fails, just fixed a clients recently that just would not work & cleaning properly hasn't failed since :)

Also badly written copies of dvd's can cause numerous issues.

Reactions: Rhyso
I would have thought that the only way to test properly is with a genuine nav disc.

Understand your point but I've had the disc 3 years and it was working an hour before i cleaned the lens :(

Should have left it alone.....at least it was working.....

Ok so it reads audio cd's no problem so I can now only assume its the sat nav disc that is as fault??

If someone could confirm then that would be great!!

Are you able to borrow a genuine sat nav disc to try? That would probably be the only way to confirm it's your disc at fault.

Got hold of another disc (genuine)

Same result :wtf:

So I guess my laser is kaput?? Am I the only one who has cleaned a lens / laser and made it worse??

Tried cleaning it again with a cotton bud and still the same result. It plays audio cd's but won't recognise the satnav dvd :(

If a genuine disc wont work then its likely that your laser is knackered. I believe you can just replace the laser in the unit but, its quite complicated.

To be sure that laser unit fits your RNSE just email the seller with your model no to ensure compatability. Not sure if anyone on the forum supplies parts or can repair - might be worth waiting a day or so to see if anyone else responds.

i did say not to use a pint of guiness to clean it with , the lens should look clear not opaque when cleaned ,probably either still a bit dirty or you applied too much pressure when cleaning it and have knocked it out off alignment

think of an audio cd as an lp record ,not alot of info on the disk so not really compressed . the sat nav dvd is approx 7gb of data on the same size(physically) disk . so the data has to be compressed alot more ,here's when finer tolerances come into it . the dvd lens cannot track the data on the dvd correctly .the cd laser is a diifferent one although it is contained under the same lens

Thought it might have something like that :(

Oh well this week its on its travels to NHN to identify the exact problem

I was half tempted by a Pioneer unit with CarPlay but I still think its early days for that sort of tech and I don't fancy being a beta tester......