Map bedding in?

Tom93

Reaction score
Do maps need chance to bed in? Flashed a new map, and now my cars struggling to idle, sounds like its cammed. Wasnt like this before. Maps from a reputable company that make all there own maps. Have contacted them but wont here back until tomorrows working hours. Just wandering if it needs a short drive to work out whats what, so to speak! Thanks all.

Not as a rule no.... what car, model, mods, stage of map? smoke test done? any fault codes?

<tuftfy/>

S3 8l amk, fmic, big tip, 3" downpipe and decat. Did have a stage 2 but boost was way high and it wasnt making big power for a stage 2, and had an mbc plumbed in. Removed the mbc and went for Celtic tunings stage one, told them i just wanted a safe base to make sure the car was ok, and to bring the boost down a bit, but i started the car after uploading it and it was hunting, it drive ok though, i went up the road quick and it seemed ok. I was going to drive it tomorrow and let it warm up and see if it sorts itself out. They have developed the map and used it on other s3's aswell with no dramas :/

Sounds like you have hardware issues then dude... I'd check for leaks etc first... scan for fault codes, get a smoke test if you can (all this should have been done by the tuner in fairness)

These are old cars and your mods would easily support decent power but custom map is the best thing for it really... generic stuff (even stage 1) doesn't realy cope well with the age, wear and mod lists like you have

<tuffty/>

...and no one uses MBC's these days... used to use them to cap boost spikes back in the day but no need for them at all...

Anyone that uses them now on 8L's etc doesn't know how to map IMO

<tuffty/>

It was fine before the map though, minus the high boost and high idle which i was trying to get rid of with a different map :/ cant blame the tuner they are just supplying the file, i have read and write the file myself. Just wanted a nice base to ensure the car was sorted before i continued modding. I still need to do a boost leak test but ive replaced alot of pipes myself, so im uninclined to think its a leak. And last time i checked fuel trims they were very low both 0.x% perhaps i should try and acquire a standard map for amk, or get someone to look at my one i think is dodgy. But mappers dont like touching other peoples work. I have winols and i had a look but bot sure what im looking at tbh!

When i recently put a new mapped ecu in , i first turned the ignition on and let that do its thing for a good 30 secs before starting, was that something you needed to do maybe ? i was told this is to let the fresh map read the throttle body etc, & no touching the throttle while its doing this, I might be a newbie at this here but thought it was worth saying

Flashed a standard map and it does the same, its like hunting or pulsing and popping back through the inlet, didnt want to drive it once i heard it popping back. Fault codes are here, I had disconnected the battery earlier hence

Any chance i have bigger injectors or something i didnt know about? Its not like i have any mods that fundamentally need "mapping in" only those "help the power mods" Surely shouldnt be doing this.

Also that lambda fault wasnt there before, not sure if to do with decat? Car could of been mapped with the standard cat pipe smashed out? Thats how it was when i bought it.

Right just to add to this, flashed a standard map (according to the tuner) and it done the same thing, hunted and popped back, and generally sounded like a saxo on wild cams.

So i flashed my original map back on it and it was fine, hunted a little on first start but soon cleared after a short drive.

Looks like custom map will be my only option... Maybe my cars been cammed or has larger injectors or something? Any ideas?

Vacuum leak or something like... Very much doubt it's cams...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
Right just to add to this, flashed a standard map (according to the tuner) and it done the same thing, hunted and popped back, and generally sounded like a saxo on wild cams.

So i flashed my original map back on it and it was fine, hunted a little on first start but soon cleared after a short drive.

Looks like custom map will be my only option... Maybe my cars been cammed or has larger injectors or something? Any ideas?

maybe its just fcuked
maps wont fix cars which have issue to begin with.

best get the car running like a std one should before contemplating a map..

Im going to get a smoke test done or somekind of boost leak test but apart from that im not sure what it could be, got good plugs coils and loom, all pcv has been deleted or replaced/compacted. Ive replaced loads of clamps etc, injectors have been removed and ultrasonically cleaned, new inlet gasket, recent service, throttle body cleanned/aligned :/

Had a snoke test done, got one leak! Its comin from behind a small bit of heat sheilding on the brake servo hose just behind the charge pipe and under the strut brace, anyone know whats under there? One way valve?

The leak is under a small piece if the cloth/fabric type heat sheilding on that pipe. The same stuff thats around the charge pipe.

It must only be like 50mm long.

Well i have the part number from partsbase so will phone vw once they open.

8L6612041G

Ordered up, wont be here til wednesday though!! Damn bank holidays :(