My S3 gtx2871 Project

A

alexw32

Have posted a few times on this forum but this is the first of my cars I have posted up here.
So I bought my Black S3 about three months ago completely standard. However previous owners had not really bothered to maintain it properly so quite a few issues did need fixing before I could start any mods. Crawling around under cars fixing things is part of the fun though surely so do try to do as much as I can myself.

This is how i bought it -
20150520_200203_zpsmj9sjb8a.jpg

I knew the dump valve needed changing when I test drove it however after only a couple of days a few other issues arose. I then had to change the thermostat, an abs sensor, pipe connected to the inlet manifold as it was split and oil/oil filter due to an oil leak. The bodywork could also do with abit of attention but I will sort that out later on.

Last weekend I managed to get my ap coilovers fitted and today I got round to fitting my new wheels. 18" porsche turbo twists with h&r pcd adaptors.

How its looking after changing wheels and lowering abit-
20150816_151222_zpsvpgcomvo.jpg

Much better than the corroded old s3 wheels. Didnt want to lower it too much as my last car was wound right down on cheap coilovers and the ride was awful (not helped by the bad country roads in my area and very low profile tyres). Also have some silver project adjustable tie bars to fit and get it all aligned/set up right so might drop it down a tiny bit more yet.
Have so much I want to do the hard part is deciding which to do first but will hopefully be more to come soon.

Reactions: Nilz, SoljahofSensi and jojo
I haven't updated this for a while but have been collecting parts and busy doing a few things so thought i would post a few updates. I was originally going to do a few simple mods such as fmic, oversized tip, remap and get the car resprayed to get it looking as close to new as possible with a bit more power but have got a bit carried away with ideas for mods (hence the tittle change).
I had decided to go k04 hybrid but again had a change of mind and bought a garret gtx2871r and mani from aks tuning. Ideally i would liked to have got an external gate set up but this was all that was in my budget at the time (will look into upgrading later on when i have saved for a house).
20151213_173406_zpsupfl5nx2.jpg

Also had a resonated custom 3" turbo back and intake pipe made by iws developments for when i fit it. Highly recommend this guys work and very helpful with all my questions.
20151218_120556_zpsssrvc40a.jpg

I already had an agu large port head i'd had reconditioned for my old a3 but with increase in power decided to upgrade the exhaust valves to supertech and swap the exhaust valve springs for a set of cat gold ones. Trying to do as much as i can to save on labor costs so head was stripped and valves lapped in then re-assembled myself. I also picked a set of wossner pistons up cheap so decided to get my spare block rebored to 82.5mm.
20151228_154332_zpsis25o38b.jpg

20151208_195813_zps5nla34cy.jpg

That is all for now but have plenty to do so will try and update as and when i manage to get things done.

Reactions: hydro s3, andrew_wright, superkarl and 3 others
What's you goal? I do like the iws gear, looks really well made! Do that have a jig for this turbo? I know they have one for the k04 ;) I've considered the AET hybrid, the badger 5 setup. BUT this turbo looks quite nice :)

Last edited:
Hoping for around 400bhp. Iws stuff is great quality. I sent him the manifold and turbo and he put it on his s3 he uses to mock up exhausts so fitment was perfect. If I was starting it now I would probably go for the aet/badger5 k04 hybrid set up. Won't be far off what I hope to make with less work i think. Unfortunately they weren't available when I bought these. Or if you really want to go big turbo go bigger than gt28 with a tubular manifold and external wastegate. Budget restricted me to this but am happy with what I have for now.

That back box will be quite boomy when driving from my experience.

It's not too bad tbh. I only drive it to work which is 30 mins away round smallish country lanes. Also the odd drive at weekends/evenings. Sounds nice on acceleration but if I was doing alot of long journeys I could see how it would get annoying. Got the wifes tdi golf for that though.

Thanks for the reply. Are you still going to use your large port head? Have you got any updated pictures of the engine :) Hopefully IWS will be making me some fmic hard pipes, defiantly worth a look, he also makes the map pipe ;)

Looks really good, I was considering this setup but I think i'm going to go hybrid now.. Can I ask where you got the exhaust springs? I am looking into parts for the re-build and i'm struggling

I didn't see then listed on your site.. must be blind. Seems like every part I search for comes back to you Bill lol, I'll be in touch if the build goes ahead hopefully I can get 350+ out of the new hybrid.

Sorry to hijack the thread..

Yeah have used my large port head. Valve guides have all been changed so thought it made sense to use a head that's in good condition. Can't really justify another 400 odd quid to pay a machine shop again. This is where I am with it now. Engine is all fitted and run in. Done about 600 miles on it so far. Had a new in tank fuel pump last week. Got a da 31 to use inline aswell. Wmi kit will be finished ready for use tomorrow morning. Still abit to do and need to book it in for mapping but buying a house at the minute which is swallowing all my money.
20160603_100817_zps3y7thdkj.jpg

Reactions: scotty_24
I didn't see then listed on your site.. must be blind. Seems like every part I search for comes back to you Bill lol, I'll be in touch if the build goes ahead hopefully I can get 350+ out of the new hybrid.

Sorry to hijack the thread..
not listed no.. I'll add them.
many things I have are'nt listed there.. time on updating the site isn't often sadly.

Yeah have used my large port head. Valve guides have all been changed so thought it made sense to use a head that's in good condition. Can't really justify another 400 odd quid to pay a machine shop again. This is where I am with it now. Engine is all fitted and run in. Done about 600 miles on it so far. Had a new in tank fuel pump last week. Got a da 31 to use inline aswell. Wmi kit will be finished ready for use tomorrow morning. Still abit to do and need to book it in for mapping but buying a house at the minute which is swallowing all my money.
have you checked the meth nozzle is spraying ok in the adaptor plate and not dribbling from the spray cone hitting the side of the hole first?
Not often seen a plate which does'nt mask the spray on these. worth checking. you dont want dribbling meth

Bills Right, I had to drill the nozzle hole in the spacer plate so the meth nozzle sat flush and the spray wasnt hitting the adaptor plate

Not yet no. Going to test it all tomorrow. I did already notice the nozzle wasn't flush with the inside of the spacer so counter sunk the hole before I fitted the nozzle.

Reactions: scotty_24
First post on this in over a year. Took my s3 to badger5 for mapping in august last year after it had been run in. Unfortunately I had actuator issues so it disn't make as much as I'd hoped.
20160815_154628_zpsj6quoiy2.jpg
Bill had to hold it back until the actuator was fixed.

Also fitted some porsche 996 turbo calipers on the front before I took it for mapping. Painted them myself but it hasn't lasted as well as I'd hoped so going to get them powder coated at some point.
20160611_150926_zpslwwv1qm5.jpg

I did want to get the car fixed and take it back to have the map tweaked but as we were buying a house it all went on hold for a few months.
Finally had the money to try and fix it this month so I treated myself to some parts.
20170608_130133_zpsb2cgkstg.jpg

20161223_203644_zpsiwdmufsy.jpg

Also bought a gfb 44mm wastegate to fit with it.
All fitted.
20170617_121354_zps8un9ss0w.jpg

I already had a downpipe which I had modified by a mobile fabricator to fit.
20170615_202425_zpstdkaw2qm.jpg

Car is now up and running again. I have booked it in to get the map adjusted on the 4th of august so hoping for plenty more power from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: snowy, IPG, andrew_wright and 1 other person

What type is that battery?
Cheers!

It's made by a company called powervamp. Got it from ebay if I remember right. Not sure if they still do them or not though.

Looking good here!

Does the car feel much different with the nortech and external gate compared to the old setup?

Looking good here!

Does the car feel much different with the nortech and external gate compared to the old setup?

Yeah definitely notice the difference. Seems to pull abit better. Boost gauge says it boosting to 2 bar now. Not sure what it should be running?

They list Garrett as an option, for the above Garrett housing.

Which I think unfortunately means once chosen, no future option for Tial, and vice versa

From what I can gather the garrett housing is a different size to the tial one so I will be stuck with this but I won't be going any bigger than the turbo I have now so happy with that. Its the fastest car i've ever had and living in the country there's only so much power you can use around small lanes before you hit another corner.

Reactions: SHUk
Have you got any videos of it? Would love to see how it sounds/looks after all these upgrades. Brilliant dedication!

Reactions: andrew_wright
First post on this in over a year. Took my s3 to badger5 for mapping in august last year after it had been run in. Unfortunately I had actuator issues so it disn't make as much as I'd hoped.
Bill had to hold it back until the actuator was fixed.

Also fitted some porsche 996 turbo calipers on the front before I took it for mapping. Painted them myself but it hasn't lasted as well as I'd hoped so going to get them powder coated at some point.
20160611_150926_zpslwwv1qm5.jpg

I did want to get the car fixed and take it back to have the map tweaked but as we were buying a house it all went on hold for a few months.
Finally had the money to try and fix it this month so I treated myself to some parts.
20170608_130133_zpsb2cgkstg.jpg

20161223_203644_zpsiwdmufsy.jpg

Also bought a gfb 44mm wastegate to fit with it.
All fitted.
20170617_121354_zps8un9ss0w.jpg

I already had a downpipe which I had modified by a mobile fabricator to fit.
20170615_202425_zpstdkaw2qm.jpg

Car is now up and running again. I have booked it in to get the map adjusted on the 4th of august so hoping for plenty more power from it.

Hello mate

Where did you get the manifold from?

Thanks