Brakes question

I oOEddOo I

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am using mintex brake pads on the front with stock discs and factory brakes at the rear, the question is I do not feel any bite or the car want stop unless pressing the pedal deeper have I gone wrong somewhere or do I need the ferodo ds2500 or possibly new disc too.

Many thanks

I used Mintex 1155 previously and was very pleased with the performance.

I'm not sure which of the Mintex compounds you're using but the 1155s are way better than the DS2500.

I think your real problem is not having a big brake kit.....that would vastly improve the braking.

I am using the mintex 1144 so is different to your suggestion. Maybe go for the 1155 next and see any different. What about the idea of EBC/ black diamond brake disc along with the mintex pads?

1155s are a more aggressive compound and perhaps a bit more track focussed but I liked that.

As to the other suggestion....EEeek.
If you are having issues with the braking I do think a BBK may be the longer term answer.

1155s seems to be a realistic option for now how are they on normal day use equally good?, as for the suggestion ignore that then, big brake kit maybe later down the line. Have you heard of the 1166's or is tht going too far ?

1155s seems to be a realistic option for now how are they on normal day use equally good?, as for the suggestion ignore that then, big brake kit maybe later down the line. Have you heard of the 1166's or is tht going too far ?

There are plenty of track use pads,but the problem you'll find in road use is getting them hot enough.

Reactions: I oOEddOo I
Bigger brakes , the laws of physics rule .

Just a 20 mm increase is notable .

Last edited:
The problem I have is, I don't really use my S3 for track days etc so don't really need a BBK nor can I justify the price, However my front discs/pads are totally shot and the brakes are shocking atm to the point where there becoming unconvincing so I need to replace them ASAP. Surely someone must of just done a aftermarket disc/pads replacement and seen a good improvement..?

Std size aftermarket grooved or and drilled wont do anything noticeable for braking so replacement oe Brembo , Pagid etc discs .

Pads wise , you want a performance road pad .

What pads do people recommend for mostly town driving with the odd spirited drive..So obviously nothing too harsh.

That some kind of wind up ^ Lol.

Redbananas....?

EBC Redstuff pads.

OK but not my cup of tea(or even brake pads...LOL)
Doesn't mean that you won't like them,as I do like something more aggressive.

I use EBC redstuff and so far quite like them. Good performance from cold and less brake dust buildup than OEM pads. Never had any noise from them, but I do use the EBC Ultimax (or something) groved disks on the front though.
On a recent spirited trip to Wales, they performed very well and the only issues I had was lack of braided brake hoses which made them feel spongy after a couple of hours of hooning. Hoses are my next performance upgrade I think.

Think I've made my mind up, Going to try Drilled/Grooved discs all round with EBC redstuff pads and go from there.

Need new brakes anyhow so worth a go....