Solenoid Valve (N249) failure code

jetlikoki86

Reaction score
I just scanned my a3 and gave me this error, any recommendations on how to fix it?, i've seen a lot of threats about this valve and most of them just do a bypass, i have my 1.8t stock and i'm wondering if it's better to do the bypass or replace the valve, thank you in advanced people///

18693/P2261/008801 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction, using vcds

This can be a faulty DV or because you have already had an N249 bypass done... the code comes up because the ECU wants to dump boost as its not happy about something and if you have a faulty DV or done the bypass it can't so assumes the N249 protection isn't working...

This is symptomatic of another issue though.. normally an over boost problem or load related problem..

As for your question.... if you still have the N249 plumbed in then check the DV is working ok and replace as required... doing an N249 bypass won't prevent this fault code from re-appearing as its a symptom of another problem...

No other fault codes?

<tuffty/>

No other codes, no bypass was done, i just replaced the valve and found one unplugged hose, replaced it as well, the car feels way better now, better idle also, today i will scan it to see if the code is gone..

sorry, not my native language, but it's the hose that goes from the valve to the intake

Picture would help... the code will need clearing if you haven't already as they don't just disappear... once cleared check it later to see if its returned...

But like I said... the N249 is one of the ECU's protection systems for the engine... it allows the ECU to dump boost if it detects a problem... the fact you had the code at all suggests the ECU was trying to dump boost... the fault code is normally the result of the boost not dropping quickly enough so the ECU assumes the N249 is not operating as it should hence the code

<tuffty/>

sorry, not my native language, but it's the hose that goes from the valve to the intake
no dude, its not the language... its the fact there was a hose loose.... plugged in, and it was ok.. aka your problem

The feed pipe from inlet manifold to the N249 is its vacuum signal.. so unplugged it causes you an idle vacuum leak, and a boost leak and anon functioning DV... usually accompanied by a chirping noise between gears when boosting.

Thank you all for all the replies, in fact there were 2 problems, the small hose that goes to the DV was defective and the actual DV valve was defective as well, replace both, did a scan with vcds, no codes now, runs way better now