Handbrake help

moisty

Reaction score
Hi,
Since owning my S3 2001 AMK the handbrake has never been too good and over the winter it felt like it was sometimes sticking. Anyways the other day i tried to pull up the handbrake and it just came up as if a cable had snapped .I've read a few posts so removed rear ashtray and seen both cables had unclipped .

When i first connected them they looked like this
IMAG0076.jpg

I then pulled up the handbrake and it looked like this
IMAG0077.jpg

The cables still seem loose would doing the sharan spring mod help or is a caliper seized or do i need to change handbrake cables?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Looks like the left side cable is sticking or stuck in position.

Reactions: moisty
Change the cables, they are only about £20 on eBay, also spray the hand brake lever on the calliper with brake cleaner whilst moving the lever back and forth with a pair of pliers or mole grips when the cable is disconnected, then spray with wd40 whilst moving the lever again, the shaft gets clogged up with gunk, so needs cleaning out.

I would say the one cable has snapped or become disconnected somewhere. It shouldn't have that much slack in it.
As above if you are replacing the one cable do both. If one has snapped the other will probably not be far behind , and it's more difficult getting the handbrake efficiency the same on both sides if 1 has a new cable and the other doesn't.

Karl.

Cheers for the help :smiley:Jacked car up when i got home from work and checked left hand caliper and found this

IMAG0079.jpg

Managed to pop it back in then loosen nut at rear ashtray to allow me to reattach both cables . Then i re tightened nut and my handbrake is better than ever.

Ordered sharan caliper springs so when they come will give both calipers a good clean with brake cleaner and a working with wd40

Cheers again for the help

Reactions: jojo and desertstorm