What's happened inside this engine? . .

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
First of all, it's worth pointing out that this engine was re-manufactured by Ivor Searle (very well renowned company) in 2009 and has since apparently covered around 70k, and I think it's been serviced well as there was no baked on black in the sump or on the oil pump... It's also probably worth noting that it had a catastrophic turbo failure fairly recently

So I've just stripped this engine down an there's two main things I've noticed... On rod number one (closest to the cam belt), the big end shells was rotated 90° and the locating notch taken off:

I wouldn't say it been like this too long as there was no obvious scoring to the crank.

The next thing I noticed was the oil pump chain tensioner, here's a picture of it next to one twice as old from an AGU engine:

As you can see it looks like there's been a fair bit of heat there as it looks like the tensioner has started to bubble a little where as the AGU one (although rather black) looks fine.

There were also a few random scratches on some of the main bearing shells straight down the middle:

As far as I'm aware one of a couple of things has happened... Either the turbo failed and sent bits of turbo bearing into the sump and through the engine causing the damage or, the oil has been contaminated causing all of this and that would probably explain the chain tensioner better. My other thought for that was a possible over rev, but sill that wouldn't quite add up

I'd be interested to get other people's opinions, either way I'm not too fussed as I only really needed it for the block which still looks good and it came with over size pistons, which is nice!

Not sure, but the answer to Q6 in The Times Daily Quiz is "Tetris" I think.

Reactions: Pulp84, jitvv, jojo and 4 others
The company I work for are Ivor searle installers there engines aren't brilliant to say the least they seem thrown together sometimes just my experience

Turbo snapped its shaft. Previous owner was a cretin judging by the mechanical condition of the rest of the car it came from. Probably ran it low on oil.

Possibly a missed gear change at some point in its life.

If you need a willing **** to help put it back into the car when its all good to go give me a shout. I feel bad about selling you an engine that was badgered.

Seemed odd. no nasty noise. Compression test and leak down both okay. But i didn't drive with it.

Turbo snapped its shaft. Previous owner was a cretin judging by the mechanical condition of the rest of the car it came from. Probably ran it low on oil.

Possibly a missed gear change at some point in its life.

If you need a willing **** to help put it back into the car when its all good to go give me a shout. I feel bad about selling you an engine that was badgered.

Seemed odd. no nasty noise. Compression test and leak down both okay. But i didn't drive with it.

Mate, it's not a problem... As I said I only need the block anyway, I have a replacement for everything else and lets face it the damage is pretty minor. And let me put it this way, anything that was damaged here I was only gonna throw away anyway!

out of interest was it you that drained the oil? If so what did it look like and how much was there?

Have the oversize pistons got a part number on them?
What size 81.5mm?

From my findings the over sized pistons have the same part number as normal ones which is 81p30... If you look at this it shows standard, +.25 and +.5 all as part number 81p30 which rings true with all other literature I've found on the web

Reactions: superkarl
Mate, it's not a problem... As I said I only need the block anyway, I have a replacement for everything else and lets face it the damage is pretty minor. And let me put it this way, anything that was damaged here I was only gonna throw away anyway!

out of interest was it you that drained the oil? If so what did it look like and how much was there?

Around the right amount. Nothing that untoward seemed to be floating in the oil.