I think I don't like my gearbox

Think I've opened a can of worms here chaps.

Reactions: Brasso, Rob2k68 and monopole
Hi Sunscreemer - be careful about the g/f buying an s-tronic A1, I drove one (with an up spec'd engine) as a loan car last year and it was gutless. May be a manual might be more the go.

Re the thread comments more generally, I'm very happy with my S-tronic; I was comfortable with driving it within a few minutes from the dealers following delivery. And this after previously driving a manual A3 since 2002, which took me around a year to become really comfortable with, but when I did, best heel and toe ever compared with all my previous manuals. I do miss the engine braking on downshift, thus having to use the brakes a bit more, but that is a small negative. Overall, for me the less effort involved in gear changes now with the S-tronic, the more I can enjoy the other qualities of a very impressive A3 SB.

Ouch on the TT! Possibly the worst car / engine / gearbox combo :audibash:. If I were in a diesel A3 then I'd go for s-tronic all the way, as I hate diesels with a manual. Do you want some TT Speedlines? I've got some stacked in my kitchen! The mrs is going ape as they've been there since Christmas!:keule:

I definitely agree with the Engine/Gearbox combo; 1st gear is so short it makes you instantly dislike the manual box. But the TT is a great car, such a nice place to be and you can throw it into anything and it'll hold on.

Not a fan of the speedlines, I've got the 10 spoke's on them currently which I love (think they're the potenza's).

Think I've opened a can of worms here chaps.
A reasonably good natured can of worms though, especially as PA is no longer here and we are not talking about Private Plates!

A lot of people now seem to accept that an s-tronic can take some while to get used to and to get the best out of it. Once this is achieved it can be just as enjoyable to drive with as a manual box. At least, for the time being at least, Audi still offer the choice on some models.

Reactions: Psyman79 and monopole
To sum up then:

If you want to work 2 pedals - buy a S-tronic

If you want to work 3 pedals - buy a Manual

:)

Reactions: Pulp84 and 0B1001001
This discussion / argument looks like it's fizzling out so to pour some more fuel on it...

Of the S-Tronic owners here, who would have selected a traditional auto if the S-Tronic wasn't available? If you would have had a manual in that scenario can you explain why? I think I would prefer a nice ZF 8 speed over a dsg type gearbox. The torque converter is close to lossless nowadays (which was always the anti auto argument), they change more smoothly at slow speeds and pull away without delay. They also come with paddles and give you a similar "manual" mode. They are cheaper to service and more mature tech so should be more reliable. The only upside I can see for dsg over a torque converter is they change faster, but that only really matters for 0 to 60 bragging rights.

Has that spiced it up? Am I PA in disguise ;)

Has that spiced it up? Am I PA in disguise ;)

You need to also spout how much you hate the "Tory Clarkson", and that everyone that has a Private Plate is an utter wa*ker yet ;)

Reactions: Psyman79 and kanecullen89
What would I have chosen if the s-tronic had not been available. Having only driven a ordinary auto many years ago and an A4 with a multitronic, both of which were horrible I have no idea. If the chose was between a multitronic and a manual then it would have been a manual. If Audi had not offered the s-tronic but did offer the 'ZF 8-speed' I would have tried it and then decided.

Just out of interest the new A4 when it comes out later this year is going to offer a 9-speed s-tronic.

I just like changing gears with a stick less boring - in My opinion ,

I just like changing gears with a stick less boring - in My opinion ,

I also like changing gears with the stick or the paddles, just without the need to use the clutch pedal.:)

Reactions: Zache
I've not had any experience of autos before my S3 as i've driven manuals for the last 19 years. I probably would've just accepted whatever auto box the car came with. I've always enjoyed manuals but i have dodgy knees and was finding that driving in town was causing a great deal of pain and discomfort. Had it not been for that i probably would've stayed manual and spent a bit more on options.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Zache
Hi Sunscreemer - be careful about the g/f buying an s-tronic A1, I drove one (with an up spec'd engine) as a loan car last year and it was gutless. May be a manual might be more the go.

Well I have to disagree with you big time, we bought a brand new A1 Style for my wife last year with 122bhp engine and S-Tronic and it's a little pocket rocket, no way is it gutless in any way shape or form

Well I've just had a weekend of driving the S3 and going along the A59 through Skipton to Burnsall it was in M mode all the way, then on the way back, big heavy traffic and after a 10 mile walk I was glad I had D mode! We also sold my old man's 911 (PDK) this weekend, and hopefully getting something with a manual box so I can get my fix there. Thanks for all your comments, I'm sticking with S-tronic, the mrs also has a manual mini cooper, which was great fun on Saturday night on a trip to leeds.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and sunscreemer
I think we've established from a number of threads that everything about the car is both awesome and terrible. But we all want one and love it.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Psyman79
This thread is not going to run out of steam is it ... :blahblah1:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: naughts4187
Hmmmm...

I currently have a DSG (automatic... sorry h5djr - semi-auto) I love it. It works very well with the diesel engine in my Mk6 Golf GTD. The DSG is really good. For the number of miles I currently drive - I would not want a manual.

My wife has an A3 1.6 TDI S-tronic - also really good.

However, I sometimes do miss a proper manual.

I think it comes down to how you like to drive and how much you drive.

As some people are saying - it is personal preference.

Though, I can see some pros and cons for both choices in an S3. 0-60mph - feeding the gears in fast enough - DSG better IMO. Vs. - fast overtaking 50-70mph ;) - proper manual better IMO.

After coming from a manual S3 8P and numerous manual cars, I'd never go back to owning a manual after driving with S-Tronic in the new 8v. Personally think it's a great bit of kit.

Would only consider a manual as a track car, otherwise don't see the point owning a manual car sitting in traffic 90% of the time.

Reactions: Audiboyz
What would I have chosen if the s-tronic had not been available. Having only driven a ordinary auto many years ago and an A4 with a multitronic, both of which were horrible I have no idea. If the chose was between a multitronic and a manual then it would have been a manual. If Audi had not offered the s-tronic but did offer the 'ZF 8-speed' I would have tried it and then decided.

Just out of interest the new A4 when it comes out later this year is going to offer a 9-speed s-tronic.

This thread is not going to run out of steam is it ... :blahblah1:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lets keeping it going.

Coming from the land of autos - If the s-tronic not available - That is a very open question, it entirely depends on what auto is available. if you really want drive autos that are POS, try a CVT car, had the misfortune to drive a Mitsubishi Lancer, 600kms with one seeing the speed increase while the revs stayed constant and the engine droning, the driving experience was just bad on many levels

Other uninspiring autos, try the Toyota Camry with 5 speed auto or Astra with the 4 speed auto, then again won't matter if those cars were manuals, just different flavour of boring.

I have driven 2014 model Commodore and Falcons with 6 cylinder and 8 cylinders, both have the ZF 6 speed autos, a world away from their original 4 speed autos. Have driven the 6 cylinder autos in manual mode, and too be honest after a few spirited drives, you come to the conclusion of why bother, just leave them in 'sport' mode.

As for the 6 speed ZF in the Commodore V8, it does a good job of fast responsive changes, but a bit reluctant to change down gears but with 270kw and 570nm, it doesn't slow it down much - but a manual V8 is still more rewarding in this instance

So no, if the S3 didn't have the s-tronic it does, I wouldn't have bought it

Last edited:
There's actually been a lot of constructive debate on here so i don't think we're necessarily flogging a dead horse, i think some of it is quite interesting.

What I think is clear are maybe two things, firstly that although the S3 is a performance car we all probably buy it for different reasons. This, combined with the second fact in that we will all have different driving styles means that whereas only some may experience the true finer points of the car the converse is true in that only some may also experience its limitations. Add to this the combination of gearbox, drive select options and the unique driving cycle that we each embark upon it's no surprise that views can differ on certain characteristics.

Interestingly, apart from saying that the steering could "perhaps lack a bit of feel" (a comment that to me at least the motoring press seem to attribute to just about every single car they review in any case) the reviews that i've seen (like many of you, LOTS while researching and waiting) all tend to be very positive towards the S3. Maybe this is because the journalists are experienced enough to take cars bases on their core capabilities and on the "vanilla" nature that every manufacturer need to find to avoid catering only for a very niche market.

I know that my criteria for a car were AWD and an automatic gearbox. I also wanted a quality finish, good performance but something that could be docile and reasonably economical should I wish (I have to do work miles before anyone jumps on the "if economy is important to you then you've bought the wrong car" bandwagon).

Had it not been for a need to compromise in one or two areas Audi would probably have lost my business here. As it is, i'm happy the S3 can tick just about all the boxes I need.

Reactions: Audiboyz, Jams, Pulp84 and 2 others
Manual, Auto?

Untitled

Reactions: illingworth22, monopole, Zache and 1 other person
There's actually been a lot of constructive debate on here so i don't think we're necessarily flogging a dead horse, i think some of it is quite interesting.

What I think is clear are maybe two things, firstly that although the S3 is a performance car we all probably buy it for different reasons. This, combined with the second fact in that we will all have different driving styles means that whereas only some may experience the true finer points of the car the converse is true in that only some may also experience its limitations. Add to this the combination of gearbox, drive select options and the unique driving cycle that we each embark upon it's no surprise that views can differ on certain characteristics.

Interestingly, apart from saying that the steering could "perhaps lack a bit of feel" (a comment that to me at least the motoring press seem to attribute to just about every single car they review in any case) the reviews that i've seen (like many of you, LOTS while researching and waiting) all tend to be very positive towards the S3. Maybe this is because the journalists are experienced enough to take cars bases on their core capabilities and on the "vanilla" nature that every manufacturer need to find to avoid catering only for a very niche market.

I know that my criteria for a car were AWD and an automatic gearbox. I also wanted a quality finish, good performance but something that could be docile and reasonably economical should I wish (I have to do work miles before anyone jumps on the "if economy is important to you then you've bought the wrong car" bandwagon).

Had it not been for a need to compromise in one or two areas Audi would probably have lost my business here. As it is, i'm happy the S3 can tick just about all the boxes I need.

Well said :)

Reactions: sunscreemer
If having an auto box is the extent of me getting in touch with my feminine side i'll be happy ;-)

Haha, I love the fact that some people seem to believe that their masculinity is defined by the specific mechanism by which their main chosen mode of transport changes ratios of some cogs. I've got news for some of them! ;)

Reactions: Psyman79 and h5djr
I guess "real men" need the excercise in order to balance out their right arm ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and monopole
Mrs Pulp brought a work car home the other night - it was a Mercedes Citan "traveliner" diesel manual.

Basically it's a small van with seats instead of a load space. A small people carrier if you will.

I fancied a drive of it for ***** & giggles and you know what.......I actually enjoyed manually shifting myself. Haven't driven a manual for 6 months, but oddly this gutless diesel actually put a little smile on my face.

Found pleasure from having to get my clutch right, revving the tits off it and changing gear just at the right time. Only issue was I kept forgetting to put the clutch in when coming to a stop or at a junction. Don't think that smile would last though if I had to drive a lot more though.....

Love a bit of kangarooing! :keule:

Mrs Pulp brought a work car home the other night - it was a Mercedes Citan "traveliner" diesel manual.

Basically it's a small van with seats instead of a load space. A small people carrier if you will.

I fancied a drive of it for ***** & giggles and you know what.......I actually enjoyed manually shifting myself. Haven't driven a manual for 6 months, but oddly this gutless diesel actually put a little smile on my face.

Found pleasure from having to get my clutch right, revving the tits off it and changing gear just at the right time. Only issue was I kept forgetting to put the clutch in when coming to a stop or at a junction. Don't think that smile would last though if I had to drive a lot more though.....

Love a bit of kangarooing! :keule:

I enjoy driving the g/f's A1 1.6TDI manual. I do like to use a manual gearbox and that little thing shifts with all that torque. When I get stuck in traffic however the novelty has well and truly worn off and having to continually move in and out of first gear does my head in!!

Reactions: Pulp84
I might add my earlier comments about wanting the g/f to get an S tronic when she changes her A1 are purely for my benefit as a passenger. I'll be diplomatic and just say that her mechanical sympathy leaves a little to be desired.

We have loads of these at work :) They are nice to drive !

(But shhhhh - they are a Renault Kangoo in origin ;) )

Real men drive Manuals ;)

:undwech:

(I have a DSG ;) )
Just out of interest, if you had the chance to change to a manual S3, would you ? or would you stick with your s-tronic?
Would be interesting to find out the percentage of people who own S-tronic and would swap to manual.

Just out of interest, if you had the chance to change to a manual S3, would you ? or would you stick with your s-tronic?
Would be interesting to find out the percentage of people who own S-tronic and would swap to manual.

I had a 6-sp Manual S3 8P, and enjoyed that when I had it.

To get the best out of my S3 8V DSG, I've had to learn how to "drive the gearbox" (which can detract from driving the car). Small tricks like easing off the accelerator before paddling down, gives an instantaneous downshift etc.

The box still gets it wrong for 5% of the time, but the remainder of the 95% of the time, it behaves. And then I occasionally have to ignition reset my car when it doesn't behave etc.

I am undecided what my next car will have. Hopefully it'll be one of these ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackwhite

If my knees worked better i still don't think i'd go back to manual. I think that'll be me in autos for the rest of my days.

Unless i buy another Colt CZT for some sillyness :)