Limp Mode, where to begin?

Clowryy

Reaction score
I had a thread up a few days about my car going into Limp Mode once when it was cold, it happened again today after driving for a bit, foot down no power at all really, not sure if its because the car was not heated up or anything but I don't know! No lights have showed up on the dashboard at all.

It's a 2005 A3 2.0 TDI, bought it like 3 or 4 weeks ago, has 230,000KM's on the clock, all I know is that the timing belt was done at 160,000.

Where do I begin with Limp Mode? Bring it to get it scanned or?

Yes, scan would be my first action. You are likely to see something logged, which would likely point you toward your next troubleshooting step.

Yes, scan would be my first action. You are likely to see something logged, which would likely point you toward your next troubleshooting step.
How much would it cost from an Audi dealer to scan it? I'm from Ireland

Haven't a clue, sorry - always used my own VCDS. I remember it was something like 70 pounds, but that was many years ago and is likely to be more from a main dealer.

Have you looked at the VCDS members map yet? Might be someone near you that could help for free - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/pages/VCDS-Map/

Haven't a clue, sorry - always used my own VCDS. I remember it was something like 70 pounds, but that was many years ago and is likely to be more from a main dealer.

Have you looked at the VCDS members map yet? Might be someone near you that could help for free - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/pages/VCDS-Map/
Nope there's no one that is close to me at all :p Would any code reader do? Like if I brought to a indie garage?

Nope there's no one that is close to me at all :p Would any code reader do? Like if I brought to a indie garage?

Ideally it needs to be scanned with VCDS. Other code readers may lead you down a false line of enquiry.

Ideally it needs to be scanned with VCDS. Other code readers may lead you down a false line of enquiry.
Okay I will have a look around and check the garages, thanks :)

I'm going to go for overboost due to vanes, given the mileage & engine, although there are a few reasons it could be.

Reactions: Sayam
I'm going to go for overboost due to vanes, given the mileage & engine, although there are a few reasons it could be.
If it is what you say it is, what is the price range on getting that sorted?

Anyone know the price on something like this?

mine's being removed, cleaned, refitted by my local garage for around £150

Another thing, don't floor it when cold!

Hi Guys

I have an audi a3 2007 2.0 tdi. Recently the car would go into limp mode at roughly 90mph in 6th gear. Changed the turbo pipe which i bought direct from audi as I was initially told by the mechanic it was broken brackets on the turbo pipe causing an "overboost" which forced the car into limp mode. Since then the car has gone into limp mode twice again doing about 90mph in 6th gear. The noise from the turbo is also very apparent now and doesnt sound as it used to. its constantly there when the turbo kicks in even on low speeds. I have used 2 bottles of Forte turbo cleaner which has helped slightly the car is doing 85mph ish without going into limp mode however it doesnt really seem to want to go any faster than that. A few mechanics are now telling me to change my turbo. Just wanted to know what you guys think and would i be able to drive the current turbo into the ground without it causing further problems?

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME SOON GUYS :(