Stage 2+ Turbo limited...

S3DUST

Just add boost :D
Reaction score
Hey all,
For those running S2+ do you find that now the car is Turbo limited ?

What i mean by this is at certain times the car feels like it is consuming revs and boost faster that the turbo can produce it !

I would be interested in what you guys think ?

Im running the following setting in Revo B8 T5 F4

For those with revo what are your settings?

Stg2+ is pretty much the limit of the K04 at around 360-380bhp.

The turbo doesn't hold boost well to max rpm and torque tends to roll off after around 5000rpm and this may be what you're finding.

The cure is a hybrid like the TTE420 or a bug turbo kit which won't run out of breath so easily.

Reactions: S3DUST
Yeh this is exactly the feeling.

I think it's further compounded by the fact that S1 map gets going around the 5k mark and you almost got that old school on cam feeling, where as the S2+ map really starts to pull much lower down but is more linear without that high Rpm spike... In fact it tails off...

So here we go again, the tuning spiral never ends! You change one thing and compromise another. Wonder how much a turbo is....

Will a bigger turbo require Stage 3?

Reactions: S3Alex
You'd require some software revisions.

Simon at TTE would do you a good deal on one of their hybrids and it would be cheaper than a full big turbo kit which would be around £4k all in.

Would it just be a case of bolting on a hybrid and getting it mapped? I'm guessing a uprated intercooler would be required? Anything else? Are the internals ok?

The best and the worst thing about the S3 is its build quality and 4wd It alway feels that it can handle more! You only realised just how quickly your going when you look at the speedo or have to stop!

My civic type r trackday is only around 210 bhp but feels very fast like everything is trying to burst out of it lol I know the S3 would destroy input still the ctr feels faster lol

For a hybrid pretty much as you've said.
The internals are good for about 440lbs.

Fuelling on the LP side is also good up to that level.

I haven't got to S2+ yet and already reading this thread makes me want to look at hybrid! Stop it, leshkin, stop it! Go look at facebook or do some work, or something.... :keule:

Reactions: S3Alex and S3DUST
I wish something could boost my wallet!

See now i found the sensation of torque dropping off was more pronounced and felt earlier in the rev range at stage 1.. Stage 2+ pulls hard to the redline on mine. B9 T5 F9. I'm running Revo's linear throttle map. I'm pretty sure the garage didn't road test it when they mapped it to stage 2+ so those settings are what my Stage 1 was set to and I'm sure there is further room for improvement. 9 on fuel seems a bit lean even if I am using Vpower.

See now i found the sensation of torque dropping off was more pronounced and felt earlier in the rev range at stage 1.. Stage 2+ pulls hard to the redline on mine. B9 T5 F9. I'm running Revo's linear throttle map. I'm pretty sure the garage didn't road test it when they mapped it to stage 2+ so those settings are what my Stage 1 was set to and I'm sure there is further room for improvement. 9 on fuel seems a bit lean even if I am using Vpower.
Interesting! I'm on B8 T5 F4

I always thought F4 was a little conservative it's always ran on Vpower and at the very least momentum....

It was road tested, but that number has always made me wonder!

I'm on the linear map too..

Fuel 9 is lean (performance 99 octane fuel). Fuel 1 is a richer AFR according to Revo's set up guide... Only way to check whats best is log the car for correction factor on all cyl and run some gears on the road testing settings. I was thinking of lowering fuel to 7 and log it at Timing 5 and if all is good put timing to 6 and check again.

See below:

"One feature of the select plus units is the ability to adjust the requested air fuel mixture the engine will burn. It does not control fuel injector on time but rather sets a target air fuel mixture for a richer or leaner burn. Position 0 on the SPS3 is always stock and position 9 will typically yield a .91 Lambda for normally aspirated cars. If you are not familiar with AFR (air fuel ratio) we recommend leaving this setting at 9. This adjustment is only a target and will not force the ECU to comply; if the setting is outside of the safety parameters the computer will compensate for the error allowing the safe operation of the vehicle"

Source: https://products.revotechnik.com/products/pdf/SelectPlus_AdvancedUserGuide_V0707.pdf

My understanding is its better to run slightly richer AFR than leaner with my fuel set to 9 if i ended up stranded somewhere without 99 ron and had to put in 95 i'm sure i would get knock on the current fuel setting.

When you took it in to be mapped did you tell them what fuel you run? Looks like they may have made an assumption you are using 95 ron or perhaps mapped it conservatively because they didn't know.

Fuel 9 is lean (performance 99 octane fuel). Fuel 1 is a richer AFR according to Revo's set up guide... Only way to check whats best is log the car for correction factor on all cyl and run some gears on the road testing settings. I was thinking of lowering fuel to 7 and log it at Timing 5 and if all is good put timing to 6 and check again.

See below:

"One feature of the select plus units is the ability to adjust the requested air fuel mixture the engine will burn. It does not control fuel injector on time but rather sets a target air fuel mixture for a richer or leaner burn. Position 0 on the SPS3 is always stock and position 9 will typically yield a .91 Lambda for normally aspirated cars. If you are not familiar with AFR (air fuel ratio) we recommend leaving this setting at 9. This adjustment is only a target and will not force the ECU to comply; if the setting is outside of the safety parameters the computer will compensate for the error allowing the safe operation of the vehicle"

Source: https://products.revotechnik.com/products/pdf/SelectPlus_AdvancedUserGuide_V0707.pdf

My understanding is its better to run slightly richer AFR than leaner with my fuel set to 9 if i ended up stranded somewhere without 99 ron and had to put in 95 i'm sure i would get knock on the current fuel setting.

When you took it in to be mapped did you tell them what fuel you run? Looks like they may have made an assumption you are using 95 ron or perhaps mapped it conservatively because they didn't know.

They were told that it is being ran on 99ron only, i just think they have been slightly conservative and put in a safety factor for summer temperatures. I guess i could up it by 1 and run some logs :)

Am i right in saying a leaner AFR makes more power than a richer one, but things run hotter the leaner it is...

My Spec is:
Revo S2+
Revo CAI
Autotech HPFP
RS4 fuel valve
Full TBE BCS Powervalve
Stage 1 sachs organic

This is a good thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/settings-revo-stage-2.94186/

David Phillips spells it out pretty well. Looks like 9 could well be the number to go for if you run v power. Perhaps as low as 7 or 8 if you drive the car hard for extended periods, AFR below 12.0 when WOT is too rich and the constant fuel wash on the piston rings can cause excessive wear.

Basically yes richer fuel mix will act have a cooling effect but some of the fuel will be unburnt, You won't get maximum power. It's about finding the balance. The only real way to do this is to log it.

Perhaps start at fuel 9, seeing as that is the performance fuel setting and check your lambda value when WOT and Cyl correction factor. Adjust 1 setting at a time - boost, timing or fuel and check the effect using logs

I'm shark stage 3 ( stage 2+) and my car pulls right to the red line and feels like it would pull more if I let it haha there's a guy dougie just fitted one of those tte hybrids and has a post up on here somewhere his apr 2+ map addapted itself to the new turbo so he didn't need anything els done they put it on the rollers and it was all good he got great figures aswell mayne worth a look at one of them think its in the 2k region for parts ( not sure exact price )