Thinking of buying an S3 ? Few questions...

h30kf

Reaction score
Hi guys,

new to the forum!

Looking at buying an S3 - has to be a facelift so 09 onwards. Seen a few between 14-16k that I fancy but cant see me buying one until May time to be honest!

It was between the S3 and Evo 9 FQ340, S3 won as it would be a daily driver!

I would Be buying a standard one, and looking to get more power than the original 260 odd bhp, want to try and push it to 320+, is this possible from these engines and is there anything I need to watch out for when upgrading for power ?

Also be looking at fitting the 2014 Satnav and head unit, is this just as simple as taking the DIN out and plugging the new one back in ?

Hi guys,

new to the forum!

Looking at buying an S3 - has to be a facelift so 09 onwards. Seen a few between 14-16k that I fancy but cant see me buying one until May time to be honest!

I would Be buying a standard one, and looking to get more power than the original 260 odd bhp, want to try and push it to 320+, is this possible from these engines and is there anything I need to watch out for when upgrading for power ?

Also be looking at fitting the 2014 Satnav and head unit, is this just as simple as taking the DIN out and plugging the new one back in ?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are quite a few threads on this sort of topic,so it's worth a search in any case,but.......

First thing to look for is a full service history,and that things like Haldex,cam follower and belts are serviced in accordance with the recommendations.
Aside from that,the car is generally very reliable,although plugs and coil packs can give rise to misfires,especially on modified cars.

Power....easy enough.

310bhp is a simple software remap.....around £300-500

330bhp is another remap,plus exhaust.....another £500-1000

360bhp is another remap,exhaust,cold air intake and uprated HPFP,and around this level or before,an uprated clutch,if running a manual....another £1k+,and the same for a clutch.

Over that requires at least a hybrid turbo,and 420-440bhp is doable without revising the engine internals....another £2k+

Above that...costly,and requires a lot of work,but 500bhp+ is reliable on a daily basis(I know,as I've run that for some time now)....cost....thousands.

Along that trail you would need uprated brakes and suspension.

It's a great car,and can be made into a fast one.

Reactions: Kteara and Nick_C
Hi guys,

new to the forum!

S3Alex has hit the nail on the head pretty much.

The only advice I'd give is, buy an S3 Sportback, especially if you're buying one for every day use, you never know when you'll need to take family or friends places, and it's more practical to have a 5 door.

And I know this is just an opinion and something that's been argued to death about lol, but the sportback looks better, you can add RS3 diffuser to them, and you have a couple more Optional extras to look for (Pan roof and roof rails)

Hi guys,

new to the forum!

Hi and welcome! You can have my standard, 1 owner, sprint blue 2010 59 sportback in your price range if interested. Going up for sale next month in prep for its replacement! 45,000 miles. Jaime

Reactions: Compkiler
Thanks for the replys guys!

Alot of info :)

As I said jimbo it wont be until may time i'll be purchasing due to funds ect, got a few holidays to get out the way first before I can get one (Mrs rules :) )

Prefer the S3, not bothered about it being 3dr and not really wanting a 5dr (mostly always had 3drs and never been an issue)

Appreciate your replys guys :)

hi, would it perhaps be advisable to seek a car with an upgraded intercooler and maybe exhaust&induction even if it's just got a basic remap for reliability?

S3Alex has hit the nail on the head pretty much.

The only advice I'd give is, buy an S3 Sportback, especially if you're buying one for every day use, you never know when you'll need to take family or friends places, and it's more practical to have a 5 door.

And I know this is just an opinion and something that's been argued to death about lol, but the sportback looks better, you can add RS3 diffuser to them, and you have a couple more Optional extras to look for (Pan roof and roof rails)

Another sportback fan trying to ram their opinion down the throats of others... As you said the sportback looks better? In my opinion it doesn't but would always recommend a S3 on personal circumstance not my opinion...The S3 was originally a 3dr and was that way for yrs and in my opinion should have stayed that way.. So enjoy your estate car :)

Reactions: S. and doctor46goat
Another sportback fan trying to ram their opinion down the throats of others... As you said the sportback looks better? In my opinion it doesn't but would always recommend a S3 on personal circumstance not my opinion...The S3 was originally a 3dr and was that way for yrs and in my opinion should have stayed that way.. So enjoy your estate car :)

Well you're doing the same thing aren't you? With all your attitude, you sound like a girl, and defending a 3 door for practicality over a 5 door car doesn't help your cause. I've had plenty of 2/3 doors to know what's better for practicality, scirocco, M3 SMG E92, Golf R and GTD, the list goes on Kid, dammit, i've even had a black 59 plate S3 3 door. In an M3, the 2 door is better, but In my 'throat ramming' opinion, a 5 door S3, is better for practicality and you can do more mods to it. Think I'm lying? Buy one, and mod it up. But don't get your knickers in a twist because I gave my opinion. After all, he did say he was thinking of buying an s3, I maybe didn't quite answer his questions, but from owning a 3 door in the past to owning a 5 door, I was just saying which one I think is better. What would you say to RS3 owners? That their cars should have been 3 doors? Lol. After all, it is the same chassis. Take a break and don't get so defensive. It's a forum, if someone has a valid but different opinion to you, it's nothing to argue about.

It's funny how people get protective about their preference of car/model/option list and make a big deal of it. Can you both not just agree that the S3 is a great car (after some tweaks), regardless of how many doors it has? When I was looking for my current S3 I wanted a 3-door, but having a small kid meant that a sportback was my only option - taking a child seat in and out of my previous 8L S3 is not something I want to deal with ever again. To be honest, the SB has grown on me and the fact that it looks like an estate makes it even more fun when it surprises other cars that are perceived as more sporty :)

@h30kf, if you want/need a slightly more practical car go for a sportback. If ferrying kids on regular basis is something you are not planning on doing, then a 3-door version will be just fine, while being slightly cheaper (depending on year, etc..). Whichever one you end up buying, I'm sure that you will love it - cracking car that responds very well to tuning while remaining civilised.

Reactions: Crash0090, S3Alex and lakers1234
Well you're doing the same thing aren't you? With all your attitude, you sound like a girl, and defending a 3 door for practicality over a 5 door car doesn't help your cause. I've had plenty of 2/3 doors to know what's better for practicality, scirocco, M3 SMG E92, Golf R and GTD, the list goes on Kid, dammit, i've even had a black 59 plate S3 3 door. In an M3, the 2 door is better, but In my 'throat ramming' opinion, a 5 door S3, is better for practicality and you can do more mods to it. Think I'm lying? Buy one, and mod it up. But don't get your knickers in a twist because I gave my opinion. After all, he did say he was thinking of buying an s3, I maybe didn't quite answer his questions, but from owning a 3 door in the past to owning a 5 door, I was just saying which one I think is better. What would you say to RS3 owners? That their cars should have been 3 doors? Lol. After all, it is the same chassis. Take a break and don't get so defensive. It's a forum, if someone has a valid but different opinion to you, it's nothing to argue about.

Haha I sound like a girl!? I'm just merely stating facts... Wow you can do more mods to a sportback.. What? Fit another diffuser!? Your the only person that mentioned practicality no1 else.. And i'm not being defensive of 3drs in the slightest.. I said i'd give recomendation on whatever they were after, i never even mentioned 3dr as a recommendation to the op, I said in my opinion they look better, counteracting your opinion.. You made a whole lotta stuff up there with your reply.. Yes it was an unfotunate set of events that Audi only made the Rs3 in a sportback.. Can't be helped.. And what, its still a nice car.. But my point was, you instantly started talking about sportbacks like its you that were trying to force your own agenda that they're the better car... Its no big deal.

Haha I sound like a girl!? I'm just merely stating facts... Wow you can do more mods to a sportback.. What? Fit another diffuser!? Your the only person that mentioned practicality no1 else.. And i'm not being defensive of 3drs in the slightest.. I said i'd give recomendation on whatever they were after, i never even mentioned 3dr as a recommendation to the op, I said in my opinion they look better, counteracting your opinion.. You made a whole lotta stuff up there with your reply.. Yes it was an unfotunate set of events that Audi only made the Rs3 in a sportback.. Can't be helped.. And what, its still a nice car.. But my point was, you instantly started talking about sportbacks like its you that were trying to force your own agenda that they're the better car... Its no big deal.

Pan roof, roof rails, rs3 spoiler, rs3 diffuser and others. But hey, you're entitled to your own opinion as I am. Actually, if you look at the comment after my last one, another forum member mentioned practicality if you have a family etc. Seems like you misunderstood my point about the sportback. And I also do like 3 doors. I just thought 5 doors were better overall. I was probably being very opinionated, but I wasn't ramming anybodies throat with my views. Anywhoo, it's no big deal I guess. Seems like we got off on the wrong foot. I'm Sammy anyway, nice to meet you! Apologies if I offended you. No hard feelings.