Car wouldn't start...diagnosed by breakdown as starter motor

TimWills28

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi guys

Audi A3 04 TDI 140

Filled car up with diesel today after work then when I went to crank it over it just moved like once. Checked battery and even with booster car wouldn't turn on...

Hoping it's not something serious as I can't afford not to drive right now :(

Any ideas?

Was ur booster charged? Could be starter cos once the battery is dead it's dead no booster will start it. Had it happen before on my winter jeep starter died battery died an just would not crank.

No would not crank over at all when connected...battery seems fine as radio and lights etc were working when left on... The race fella feels my battery was on way out maybe? Which has put more stress on Cranker last few days maybe he said.

Just sounds like the started motor has gone tbh. Have you tried giving the starter motor a gentle(ish) hit with a mallet?

If its a manual gearbox you could try bump starting it? If all is fine then starter motor needs replacing.

Reactions: TimWills28
Tons of places will do a swap with a reconditioned one and you pay a charge, usually like £60 or something.

A new one here (looks like the right one for your car) is about £107:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALEO-438...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c8e71ef08

Or you could get a second hand one from a breakers for about £30:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-M...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4abd7d8438

Give it a bump start if its a manual and see :)

Legend! Much appreciated!

Give it a bump start if its a manual and see :)
Tried to give it bump start wouldn't work...the rac said it might be seized up in the engine?
Try giving the starter a wack with a mallet a couple of times and try starting it again (assuming the battery still has charge), thats what I used to do years ago when I had a dodgy starter - It frees it up

Oh I see what else could It be? ;(
If it was running just fine until you stopped for fuel, then wouldnt turn over, I would say its a very high chance its the starter, so not worth worrying too much.

Changed starter motor still wouldn't crank...second mechanic came in had a look and saw that the alternator had seized! £320s car is back running :) uneccesary money spent on starter motor :(

alternator has a free wheeling pulley with a clutch system . so cant see how that would have stopped the starter turning .

alternator has a free wheeling pulley with a clutch system . so cant see how that would have stopped the starter turning .

When i looked at alternator after it had been removed I could see that the pulley had joined into the alternator itself causing it to grind and shred against the alternator...it would not spin...they replaced it and car worked fine which led me to believe the starter must of been fine...