Navi touch full touchscreen replace std MMI screen

tigger8888

Reaction score
Hi,

Tempted by this as I've not got the tech pack and this setup looks even better.
Anybody fitted or want to fit Navi touch, maybe could get a group deal if we get few members wanting it?

See link: NaviTouch® Android - Audi A3 (8V) 2013+ 7" Touchs…:

Reactions: coolguy and h5djr
So it essentially combines the MMI into an Android tablet? I could be very tempted by this once my warranty is up.

Not sure if the mounting of the screen would suffer as it isn't designed to be stressed by being constantly tapped, beside the fact it isn't a touchscreen in the first place is what appealed to me.

Not so good for right hand drive cars having to use your left hand, if you are right handed.

Will be glad to get away from the touch screen on my Leon - it's very distracting to operate whilst driving nearly kerbed the wheels on many occasions doing that worse still is when you drift and go over the cat eyes .....

Reactions: cemerson
Tempted by this as I've not got the tech pack and this setup looks even better.

It won't be better but it will probably be better than nothing.

Has nobody else noticed how far you would have to reach to touch the screen?

So it seems to launch into android when you press the Nav button. What happens if you have Nav installed? Or did I miss a bit of the video? (I only skimmed it)

does it work in combination with the dis and give you turn by turn directions ? what happens to the track pad on the main rotary dial ?
doesn't MMI high with connect give you allot of these features other than adding in apps? sure someone on here posted a link to a video unit that allows you to play movies off external devices on the screen?

Not sure if the mounting of the screen would suffer as it isn't designed to be stressed by being constantly tapped, beside the fact it isn't a touchscreen in the first place is what appealed to me.

From the shot at the very start of the video, it looks like you get a complete replacement screen unit, so you'd hope the mountings were designed with this in mind. Even if they're not and it does loosen, at least you'll have the original kit to put back in come sale time.

Last edited:
Not only do I not like touch screens in cars (and based my decision to get an A3 partly on this), I can't see that it will be safe to operate a touch screen that is in the position the A3 has it while driving - it's higher up and set back compared to cars that have touch screen interfaces as stock. I can see it even being uncomfortable and a bit of a pain to use TBH, let alone the safety aspect.

Reactions: steeve, Rob2k68 and pat15312
I've went and bought and installed this into my A3. I simply love it and completely trumps the stock MMI with nav system. I am waiting for one last piece to convert all the steering wheel buttons into controls for the device so I don't have to touch the screen. I'll be posting a review and details about the system hopefully in a few weeks when everything is working (the steering wheel controls). I will be starting a group buy for those interested too so stay tuned!

And first click of navigation goes to MMI navi, second click goes to Android system. Long press of the voice command steering wheel button resets the system completely. Tried figuring out how to turn the touchpad dial into a USB mouse without any luck. Intention was to have gestures that would control the system. If anyone knows any information or wiring schematics, please do let me know!

This shouldn't void any warranties too - took my car into service and they said nothing or could tell.

Some additional pictures/information located at: http://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-android-screen-replacement-their-a3-2875746/

Reactions: Relliott6879
I've went and bought and installed this into my A3. I simply love it and completely trumps the stock MMI with nav system. I am waiting for one last piece to convert all the steering wheel buttons into controls for the device so I don't have to touch the screen. I'll be posting a review and details about the system hopefully in a few weeks when everything is working (the steering wheel controls). I will be starting a group buy for those interested too so stay tuned!

And first click of navigation goes to MMI navi, second click goes to Android system. Long press of the voice command steering wheel button resets the system completely. Tried figuring out how to turn the touchpad dial into a USB mouse without any luck. Intention was to have gestures that would control the system. If anyone knows any information or wiring schematics, please do let me know!

This shouldn't void any warranties too - took my car into service and they said nothing or could tell.

Some additional pictures/information located at: http://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-android-screen-replacement-their-a3-2875746/

So you bought a touchscreen system to only then find ways to not touch the screen? I'm not really seeing this point.....

Reactions: cemerson and monopole
I bought the system to have it do more than what Audi thinks we want (a half baked entertainment system that doesn't allow you to stream content when there is a dedicated 4G connection). And with any aftermarket stereo, most will use the steering wheel controls for the convenience.

Having Google Play, iHeartRadio, Spotify, Waze, Google Maps, my calendar, and especially google now is the best part. I speak to the system to control it - its pretty amazing and google speech recognition is pretty perfect.

Scenario - "Okay Google, what are my appointments today?" Tells you - "Go there, along with routing away from traffic" starts to navigate to location. "Play anything" starts playing music. And as I come home - "Okay Google, Set Temperature to 70 Degrees" it then warms my house up via Nest before I get home.

Reactions: xpoweruk, tigger8888 and Relliott6879
Personally I think if Audi want to keep up with the trend of lots of things being controlled from a tablet type device, it is going to have to redesign it's current MMI system and the location of the screen to accommodate tablet type functions. For the Golf it will be much easier as it already uses a 'touch screen and buttons' system. Audi may find themselves being left behind.

The touch screen infotainment on the new Jaguar XE BMW 3-series rival is looking quite good.

Reactions: tigger8888
Well I personally think the MMI hits a sweet spot. All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I could just buy a Fandroid tablet and mount it to the dash: It would be a lot cheaper! Functionality wouldn't change much!

However I do anticipate that Carplay and Android Auto will become the standard by the end of 2016.

I think car OEM's will consistently be far in the dark ages when it comes to ICE. Audi stated from CES in Vegas this week, they are trying to make the MMI so its always upgradable so regardless of the year of the car, the tech will always be current through "OTA" updates.

I find that hard to believe. All current cell phones are upgradable, however the manufacturers usually don't update the OS as they would rather you just purchase the newest and best phone - something a car company, that is in the business of making money - will do as well.

Having this system allows me to seriously be able to keep current with newest OS builds (4.4.2 to hopefully Lollipop 5.0 next). But even if its not OS upgradable, the apps will still make the system current. Something you would have to wait on Audi to update or release new apps for their MMI system. Considering that Audi said Android Auto would be in A3 cars in late 2014, and now we are probably going to see a roll out in early 2016 (directly contacted Audi's Press release contact to confirm), I just don't have the patience to wait as I use/breathe Google's ecosystem currently and benefit from it daily.

Carplay can be operated with a dial as well as touch so it doesn't necessarily have to be a touchscreen in the A3. I'm really not a fan of touchscreens in cars - without tactile feedback you are forced to look at the screen more, which is a major distraction. After almost two years of owning an 8v I rarely need to look at the screen as the controls are so intuitive. Also, the positioning of the screen on the 8v isn't ideal for a touchscreen - mid dash makes more sense - and as someone else said above, I don't know how well the housing would hold up to constant pressing.

I'll wait for Android Auto, seems to me that it provides everything you've said your upgraded system provides anyway

You're complaining about OTA updates being slow/non existent, so you installed a system that is THREE major versions of android behind! #logic

Reactions: veeeight
Chunky
Peanut Butter
Double Caramel

Reactions: elpaulio, Bristle Hound, Blackwhite and 1 other person
What are the three versions of Android beyond KitKat?

It has 4.2 Jelly Bean according to the page that is selling it. 4.3 Jelly Bean, 4.4 KitKat and 5.0 Lollipop have been released since then.

Great how hard was it to fit did you do it yourself or get it done professional as I can see on YouTube there are shorten versions showing you the fitting process?

Also did you have the std 5.8 or 7" tech pack screen?

4.2 is pretty much the standard and 4.4. and 5.0 have little market share at the moment.

I had the MMI Radio without Navigation so I had the smaller 5.8 screen. Now have the 7 inch higher resolution screen. I did the install solely and it wasn't that difficult, the harder part was trying to figure out how to disassemble some of the plastic parts holding the car together. I'd say you can get this done in maybe an afternoon. I did this in a two step process. First took out the screen and replaced in my home, then second day installed the rest of the system. The only thing I have sticking "out" is the GPS antenna, however I'm most likely going to relocated that to more centrally on the windshield (maybe facing up near the mirror). Currently is located where the youtube video shows.

Considering that this cost roughly 1K, your still saving 1500 dollars for the Audi Nav system, which then backup camera is still another pricey option/package as well. To me, having control of my car and being able to root this is what I want, and since Audi literally has most things on lock down, I would not be able to do much. This again, gives me the option to change things at will without wait.

Kit Kat has just as big a market share as Jelly Bean, and it's getting ever bigger (JB getting smaller...). And KitKat is TWO major versions ahead of 4.2. Lollipop only launched in early Nov so you'd expect that to be small.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

4.2 is not 'the standard' in any way. In any case, market share is irrelevant - you were complaining about OTA being slow and car systems having to catch up, and you've installed something that is 3 major versions (and got knows how many minor versions) out of date. If you want to go on market share, you'd have the stock system since that has the biggest market share of all :p

If using a hand-held mobile phone when driving is illegal in the UK, what about looking for the stylus down the side of your seat while driving...:think:

Reactions: cemerson
Yeh, I bet it counts as dangerous driving if you were caught!

Not sure. The bright colourful icons in the UI really clash with the supposed class of the car. I really like the graphics of the MMI, Audi did a good job with the interface I think. There's not a whole lot of info on that page about it though, only the picture and a few features.

Yes, at night, the acres of black space on the radio page of the Audi MMI is good, minimal light intrusion, and I rarely have to retract the screen if it's on the radio screen.

I do not like light based distractions in the cabin, so those Android or Apple type icons will be very trying.

The one thing I like about the MMI system is that, in my particular case, the only time the screen is up when I'm driving is when I'm using the reversing camera. I'm quite happy to use it for changing settings etc when I'm parked but hate the screen being up when I'm driving.

Kit Kat has just as big a market share as Jelly Bean, and it's getting ever bigger (JB getting smaller...). And KitKat is TWO major versions ahead of 4.2. Lollipop only launched in early Nov so you'd expect that to be small.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

4.2 is not 'the standard' in any way. In any case, market share is irrelevant - you were complaining about OTA being slow and car systems having to catch up, and you've installed something that is 3 major versions (and got knows how many minor versions) out of date. If you want to go on market share, you'd have the stock system since that has the biggest market share of all :p

mroberte has fitted something in his car that he is happy with and has shared that with us in case any of us are interested in doing the same, why do you have a problem with that?

Last edited:
Reactions: JJLA, rcnacura and h5djr
I don't (Well I do, because of the safety aspects, but that's separate). He was the one who made the criticism about other systems, so I responded.

Criticisms, I would hardly call it that, short comings, yes.

In contacts with some businesses to finalize the install with full steering wheel controls. Will post when finalized - for those that are actually interested.

Reactions: JJLA, Blackwhite, h5djr and 1 other person