2.5 V6 Battery size?

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, my car is starting to struggle to crank, sometimes it's very slow. So I've ordered a new battery and the company are sending me a 019 type battery. I've just been and looked at my battery, it's a Halfords one and is a 069 type.

The 019 is a longer battery when I've searched online. Will this still fit ok onto my car?

Cheers,

Dan

Dan

Ive had a look on our system at my work and Numax list a 096 and Varta list either a 096 or 019 depending on electrical extras.

096 has 640 cranking amps
019 has 800 cranking amps

(those are based on numax silver battery specs)

Reactions: S4_dan
I think both will fit however it will be tight fit in the bulkhead and you might struggle to fit the end bracket... If the 096 fits well then that's what i would fit- i like to replace like for like !

The longer one will fit but its tight and you will need to move the spacer .Mines had the Halfords one for 4 yrs and still fine

I have a Bosch S4 013 in mine, which is a great big beast of a thing.
A friend gave it to me after it sat under his desk for 2 years... much stronger than the 1 year old "Katana" battery it replaced!

Eurocarparts are quite cheap for batteries, also battery2u.co.uk

Mine has never been the quickest at cranking and if my foot is on the brake pedal whilst cranking I get the 'Centre Brake Light out' error on the DIS when it isn't. It's been like this since buying it over a year ago.
I have heated and electric front seats, and if these are in operation whilst cranking it slows it down even more! So I turn everything off before starting. ha.

Hopefully this new battery, 100AH and 850CCA should alleviate my slow cranking. I don't believe it is the starter motor as after a good long run and leaving the car for an hour, it cranks much quicker.

I usually do replace like for like, but as I ordered it blind and being advised that I needed the 019 for my car I just went with it. There's nothing to say it didn't have a 019 before someone fitted the Halfords 069 battery.

Dan

I think both will fit however it will be tight fit in the bulkhead and you might struggle to fit the end bracket... If the 096 fits well then that's what i would fit- i like to replace like for like !

I think mine only has one side bracket to fit? The other side is part of the battery tray that holds that side down. There is nothing on the ends of the current battery in terms of a bracket.

There s/b a little stopper that you can move for a smaller battery.I still have the original long Varta battery that I had to use recently when the alternator failed and flattened the Halfords one.Both are fine now

Well I jumped in the car after a 12hr shift, let the glow plug light cycle and tried to start and I got the big red BRAKE warning light and beeps on the dash. Went straight out after 3 beeps and the engine was running. Got home to find a nice battery had been delivered. :) Just in time. However it was far too dark and cold to fit last night and I'm hoping they'll be enough juice in the battery this morning to start it. I'll swap it out after work as I finish early today.

Good stuff - You will need a long extension and torx bit to unscrew the clamp at the front of the battery - I needed a hand when I fitted mine, I found it difficult trying to swing a big battery to the rear of the engine bay.

Good stuff - You will need a long extension and torx bit to unscrew the clamp at the front of the battery - I needed a hand when I fitted mine, I found it difficult trying to swing a big battery to the rear of the engine bay.

I've got the tools to remove the battery, done it a few times and it's fiddly as it is. A very good point on getting a hand for the bigger battery! Hadn't thought of that!

Cheers.

Putting big batteries in at the back of the engine bay is a strain. Did my Passat TDI battery on my own that was around an 85Ah battery, when it was pretty cold.
I actually did some stretches and tried to warm up a little before I lifted it in, be really easy to pull a muscle or pop something.
If you can get some help it's a lot easier. The wife made me a cup of tea, oh well.

Karl.

Reactions: S4_dan and adamss24
Putting big batteries in at the back of the engine bay is a strain. Did my Passat TDI battery on my own that was around an 85Ah battery, when it was pretty cold.
I actually did some stretches and tried to warm up a little before I lifted it in, be really easy to pull a muscle or pop something.
If you can get some help it's a lot easier. The wife made me a cup of tea, oh well.

Karl.
That made my day ! I need to do some exercise next time i change a battery, imagine the look on my mates faces when i flex my knees prior to lifting the battery ! Pretty sure it will rise a few eyebrows and crack a few jokes...

I should imagine that would be a good conversation.

Have to say not something I normally do but after putting my back out a few years ago helping my dad with a gearbox change I think twice before handling weights when reaching out.
I can pick batteries up and put them down all day. The problem is when you are holding 25Kg of battery at arms length, it really puts a big strain on your lower back. Fortunately if I have to change the 110Ah battery in the A4 it's located in the spare wheel well. A much more sensible place to put a big heavy battery.

I know what you meant first time, just wanted to be funny ! As you mentioned, care should be exercised when handling heavy objects...

Well, I finally got around to fitting the new battery yesterday. After I removed the old one I could the small end stop which is mentioned above. It was on the furthest setting meaning the car must of had a bigger battery before somebody replaced with the 069 sized battery.

Car cranks much better and quicker now. It was a tight fit but all in ok with no trapped wires or pipes.