2.5tdi injection pump timing

karl210

Reaction score
Hi, i purchased a cheap a4 2.5tdi quattro a few weeks ago. I will be using the car as my daily soon so will need to make sure its running well.

The engine feels as though its missfiring below 3000rpm. We plugged the scanner in and had a look at the pump timing. Does this look correct or do i need to adjust it? And hopefully sort the rough running out?

IMAG1580.jpg

That looks like a snap on solus pro scanner. I tried one but couldn't get it to give accurate readings on pump timing function. You would be best to try the full version of vcds which is more reliable. More importantly do you have any fault codes? If not check cams and rockers for wear as this could be the cause of your misfire and is common on v6 tdi Ake engines.

I havent taken rocker covers off yet but looking through the oil filler from what i csn see the cam looks fine. Yes its a solus. Can this be done with vcds lite? I also have full vcds but its just the micro-can version from my last car, need to sell it and get the hex and can. other fault codes are engine mount and low level fuel sensor

I'll time it for you if you want.

Reactions: Turkster
Where abouts are you alex? Im in rochdale, just north of manchester

Oo thats not too bad, were doing the timing now but its not making a blind bit of difference to the vibration, i think there is an injector to blame and there is a missfire

When mine was vibrating it turned out to be the DMF.
Bring it over - I can give it a once over... I have pretty much had every problem possible with the 2.5 so would like to think I know a little about them.

When mine was vibrating it turned out to be the DMF.
Bring it over - I can give it a once over... I have pretty much had every problem possible with the 2.5 so would like to think I know a little about them.

Ok mate thanks alot. The car isnt on the road yet as i am waiting for my current daily to sell then i will be driving it, but hopefully should be sold this sunday. I'll let you know!

I havent taken rocker covers off yet but looking through the oil filler from what i csn see the cam looks fine.

Yep, so do mine. Tomorrow it is having the four cams replaced along with all the tapets, rockers etc. I have many worn lobes and a few rockers popped out and it makes an awful racket. this is depsite the ones under the cap looking mint... Only way to be sure is to whip the covers off..

Ok so the pump timing is now correct. I am trying to see injection quantity on each injector but for some reason injector 2 isnt there! Is this a sign and related to engine vibration? Also no6 is a tiny bit different than the rest, is this in tolerance? It was alot higher when cold but settled when fully warmed as pictured, thanks

When my v6 was vibrating I traced it to a couple of injectors that were out but the deviations were in the region of -2.5mg/str.

Cylinder 2 isn't shown as the deviations are measured AGAINST cylinder 2.

Frank

I suppose it's possible but your deviation is so small it's hard to imagine it would really be noticeable when driving. As I said my largest deviation was in the region of -2.5 with the majority sitting about -1.1 to -1.5. I replaced the worst injector and the vibration cleared right up. I the replaced a second at about -2.0 and there is now no noticeable vibration when driving.

Good luck. Frank

I had the same sorta problem, turns out it was fuel pump (actually in the fuel tank) was at fault, wasn't sucking enough fuel, saved me buy a new master injector 2 which is in the price range of 900+ :(

Yeah, at idle it feels like its running on 5 as you increase the rpm the vibration speeds up with the engine untill abput 2k rpm then disapears. Ive only drove this one and 1 other and this still has more pulling power so i dont think its down on power. Fault codes are low fuel level sensor and engine mount

I took a flywheel off a b6 tdi quattro a few weeks ago, the owner had exactly same sort of issues- missfire till 2000rpm's then it would clear out... The old flywheel was shagged- had to cut the hub with a grinder to be able to remove the bolts from the crank...

I took a flywheel off a b6 tdi quattro a few weeks ago, the owner had exactly same sort of issues- missfire till 2000rpm's then it would clear out... The old flywheel was shagged- had to cut the hub with a grinder to be able to remove the bolts from the crank...

Please dont tell me this haha! I can imagine they are an absoloute **** to do on these engines, would like to eliminate the cheaper things first. Dont dmf's usually make a noise when they are on thier way out? Thats what ive experienced anyway. There is no noises coming from it and no clutch pedal judder. It does get a little better as the car warms up

Please dont tell me this haha! I can imagine they are an absoloute **** to do on these engines, would like to eliminate the cheaper things first. Dont dmf's usually make a noise when they are on thier way out? Thats what ive experienced anyway. There is no noises coming from it and no clutch pedal judder. It does get a little better as the car warms up

when my DMFL went it just made the car rock when in neutral and stationary, When in use it was un-noticable,

Reactions: AlexGSi2000
Well thanks guys, the car is no longer a bargain haha. Has the symptoms you say, only feel it when stationary but once revs are up it disappears. It does feel like its getting better though so hope is still there but more than likely im probably just getting used to it. I dont even need to ask how much of a horrendous job it will be on this car. I am a bit of a mechanic but never done a flywheel on an engine of this size and layout, cant wait....