BEST DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT FOR MY 2012 AUDI A3 1.6TDI SPORTBACK 8P MODEL

Dan J

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am sorry if this questions has been asked a thousand times but I have had a look through and I cannot see anything.

I am looking for good double din head units for my Audi A3 2012 8P chassis model. I have an ANDROID phone so I would be looking for one that is made for Android and not Iphone.
I am looking to spend around the £200 to £300 mark. I can stretch to £350.

Could somebody help me please? I am really struggling.

Again, sorry if this as been posted previously.

Just type Pioneer into the search box. There are quite a few threads from guys that have these double din units fitted.

Im in process of fitting a SPH-DA120 into my car.. there is quite a lenghty thread about it... on the forum

Will let you know my full impressions when i have it installed fully and the mirrorlink stuff for android works

Brilliant - I look forward to hearing your feedback

And are you on Android? I basically want to play music off my phone through the HU without using an AUX cable... Does this work through the Bluetooth function you mention?

Pretty much any modern headunit will allow you to stream music over BT, so no worries there. Just look for one with A2DP support.

Thanks for all your help. It really is appreciated.

I'm not too fussed about the all singing all dancing HU... As long as I can stream online music (deezer app) via BT & it has a sat Nav. So I really don't need to pay 350 and can look at a lower price bracket for my Needs?

If you don't want a touchscreen and various bells and whistles then check out a facial/cage adapter that converts your double din space to a single din with a storage compartment. You can then pick up a decent BT unit for well under 200 notes.

The key will be to select the right harness adapter, which collectively we have quite a bit of experience with.

And are you on Android? I basically want to play music off my phone through the HU without using an AUX cable... Does this work through the Bluetooth function you mention?

Hi, yes im on android with a galaxy S5.

Its pretty cool in the unit that i mentioned, track names album art etc, also music starts to play automatically when you get in the car and bluetooth on your phone is on...

The Unit i mentioned doesnt have satnav built in, but if you buy a £40 cable kit, you can use mirror link to replicate certain apps of the phone onto the HU (Satna, spotify etc)

Now, i havent set this up yet but as soon as i do i will post on the other thread.

Any other questions?

Whatever you do get the unit installed by someone who knows what you are doing... no offence Shadow but your system could have been in and working in an hour.
i have installed many aftermarket units in cars with various setups without problems.
stick to connects2 cables and you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm looking at the pioneer unit that I see a few people have. Seems to have good feedback and I am happy with the price of it...does this HU work well with Android?

Sorry I forgot to ask, these aftermarket HU's that we are discussing, do they affect the display screen in the Audi itself? The display unit that gives the fuel, mpg, address book etc etc etc.

Pioneer do a few head units that support android, best to check on their website before you pick up a unit.
If you installed an after market stereo Ito your car you would loose functionality in the very top part of the screen where it gives radio info. Other than that the rest of the Audi screen works fine

Ash187 thanks. Sorry for sounding so dumb, I am useless when it comes to HU's. I just want to make sure I purchase a good one.

My vouchers I save up for Christmas have just landed and I have £400 to spend at Amazon. Anybody seen any good HU's I can pick up on there that has android compatible, Bluetooth and sat Nav? I want the 400 to include all the additional cables/fascias that I need to buy separately.

For £400 you won't get satnav, the Nav units are around £900+
You could get the units that have the app mode so that you can run Google maps from your phone to the screen on the hu.
I'd have to look into it quickly to find you ones compatible for android that can do that. Would you want one that has cd drive and other media functions or just the appradio functions?

Thanks. Yeah as long as I could pick up sat Nav through my phone onto HU so guessing that would be mirrorlink??

Not too fussed about cd player, I don't use cds... Would like the normal stuff, USB AUX Bluetooth music streaming etc

Hi, I've had a quick look at the pioneer units and I've seen the avh series... 2600,3500,3600 and 5600 models that look in my price range before buying add. Csbles etc... Anybody recommended best Unit?

Whatever you do get the unit installed by someone who knows what you are doing... no offence Shadow but your system could have been in and working in an hour.
i have installed many aftermarket units in cars with various setups without problems.
stick to connects2 cables and you shouldn't have a problem.

and that's why you are a pro.
I prefer to do the work myself so i know what and how its done, i enjoy the fact that i have done it myself in the end (obvs with a lot of help from this forum, but thats what its all about)
And i also enjoy the learning process.

Reactions: mister.c. and Compkiler
Hi all,

With me having vouchers for Amazon, I will be buying the HU unit directly from them.

After alot of searching, I have narrowed it down to 2 units bearing in mind I have an LG G3 phone (android)

Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB
This unit has all the features I need including DAB radio which is a massive plus.
App radio mode
Mirror link

Pioneer AVH-X5600BT
This unit has all the features as above but no DAB radio. I am guessing this is the newer model of the two though?

Both units are priced at £299.00 which is a good price for me.

Could I have some honest feedback on the above and what you would go for? I have seen alot of good reviews on the 3600 but not so many on the 5600?

My car is a 2012 A3 8p chassis 1.6 tdi sportback

Thanks in advance for your time.

The 5600 has a larger screen, otherwise its pretty much the same. However there is a DAB version available which is probably more money: http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/109/281/AVH-X5700DAB/page.html

it really depends on what you want as they are both similar. i personally prefer the larger cleaner look of the 5600 without that buttons taking up screen space but its up to you.

also keep around £80 for the kitting kits and wiring harness. http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/audi...ia-steering-stalk-fitting-kit-1721573455.html

Hi @Ash187 thanks for helping me.

I've decided to buy the 5600 model... The link you provided me for the wiring kit,
The 5600 has a larger screen, otherwise its pretty much the same. However there is a DAB version available which is probably more money: http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/109/281/AVH-X5700DAB/page.html

it really depends on what you want as they are both similar. i personally prefer the larger cleaner look of the 5600 without that buttons taking up screen space but its up to you.

also keep around £80 for the kitting kits and wiring harness. http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/audi...ia-steering-stalk-fitting-kit-1721573455.html

Hi @Ash187 thanks for your help here I really appreciate it. I have settled on the 5600 model and I have just bought it off Amazon.

The link you've provided me for the wiring kit etc, is this everything I need additionally for my car Inc the steering wheel functions and harnass etc?

Hi all,

Just been in touch with Dynamic Sounds who are telling me if I have a BOSE system, the link below provided by @Ash187 will not work fully (issues with rear speakers functioning) and if I do have BOSE, I need to order a different kit which he has passed over to me.

How do I identify if I have a BOSE system or not? There is nothing on the speaker grills looking round my car.
2012 audi a3 1.6 Tdi 8P chassis.

@Ash187 has sorted me with everything I need. Thanks for everything guys

Reactions: mister.c.