How to get rid of theEngine Warning light

Quattro Singh

Reaction score
Hi,

On Friday my engine warning light came on, after running vag-com it told me that the boost control valve had an open circuit, i looked under the bonnet and the two wires that go to the connector for the control valve had broken i have since soldered the wires back (the valve i'm talking about is the one that has around 3/4 little vacum pipes going to it one of them from the top of the dump valve and sits on top of the coil packs) but the warning light still stayed on. since soldering the wires i have re installed windows on my laptop and lost the use of vag-com 311.2, (i had it working fine on windows vista but can't get it working on windows 7 so if anyone reading this also has the answer to this please share it keeps crashing when scanning) anyway i was told by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes it will clear the fault which it did but after 2 hours the engine warning light came back on.

so my questions are does disconnecting the battery clear any faults or must i clear the faults via vag-com etc

please help as my MOT is due VERY soon and won't pass with this warning light on

Thanks,

Hardeep.

Fault codes need to be cleared in VCDS (vagcom)... you need to scan agian really...

You can use VCDS lite with ebay leads

<tuffty/>

so just to confirm taking the battery lead off for 10 mins does not clear the faults?

why did it disappear for 2 hours before coming back on?

Fault code will still be there... disconnecting the battery won't clear a fault code or fix a fault... it may have reset its perception of the fault but without knowing what the fault was I can't say for sure... rescan required mate as there is clearly still a fault there

<tuffty/>

No the battery removal will not clear the engine light..

Not too sure why the light came off and went back on again.

Whereabouts are you based, can you get to someone else that can scan it for you?

Do you have a genuine VCDS Cable?

Ok Tuffty i will do that!

any ideas why vag-com 311.2 crashes when auto scanning is in progress on my windows7, it worked perfectly when i had it running on windows vista, i have a feeling it could be the drivers i'm using with my lead (ebay special) as i tried a few, could that be the issue?

I have now downloaded vcds Release 14.10.0 from Ross tech's website but i get port status: ok interface not found, wish i left my laptop on crappy vista now lol

you need the correct drivers installed. It was suck a pain in the a** that I brought the full version haha

tuffty - yep did that last night faults are cleared and warning light has now turned off, cheers!

Reactions: Prawn