Car too expensive to repair, how to sell?

revilo

Reaction score
As the title says, my A3 is in the garage with a repair bill more than I warrant paying...
How is best to sell it in it's condition and at least try to retain some money to use for a deposit for a replacement?

Cracked head and turbo impellers ********...

Annoying, because it's sound otherwise!
Plus I've poured money into it (bixenons etc)

Well you could list it in the forum classifieds with all the details of good and bad points and see what offers you get... also you can do the same on eBay

Thing is you'll always get stung selling the car as a non runner rather than biting the bullet and getting it repaired, even if you have to use second hand parts and then sell

If you have the time and the space(know how?) Your best bet is to strip it down and sell the parts.You will make more money that way rather than selling it as a none runner.The down side of this is the wait for the money.".Swings and roundabouts" as you might say. :blahblah1:

I was looking though your posts to find pictures, some serious bad luck you've had. How much is the bill? Can't you just throw in a used engine? should be cheaper... how much for the bi xenons :undwech:

wl6XNky.jpg

The bills is between £1000 and £1400 (depending on if it needs a new head), but the issue leading to sell is partly down to me needing to get a new car for work (a lot of driving now!).
So I was advised that taking the money for the car as is would likely be the best idea.

A friend of the garage's owner has given me an offer for it as is, but i'm convinced it's worth more, even in the current condition.
The bixenons alone are worth nearly as much as his offer alone....

If it was me I'd put a new engine in it and then sell it. Bound to be a £4k car all day long when its running

I'd be tempted to do that, but we've just bought our first place so money is sparse...
It'd make a good project for someone

Fair enough mate. Well I'd push for more than £600. As you said the headlights are nearly worth that themselves.

You could see what we buy any car want won't be a lot but worth a shout they offered me £187 for my w reg a4 with 100k on the clock mint body work

how much for the head lights.

I would get a seconded hand engine for it. let me no how much your wanting for the full car how many miles etc
cheers
pm me

Too far for me or I would have been interested :mad:

Are you not going to sell the xenon's separately? If you're going to sell the car cheap (< £1000) for the engine issue's would it not worth be pulling out the headlights complete along with the wiring and selling them on? You could do that and get away without reducing the price of the car. You could advertise the headlights on here as a whole and make a bit more money?

I personally think the that the xenons is the one thing that will make someone buy the car if there gone not a lot to persuade them is there

If I had the time I would do that, but owing to work i'm never around to do that kind of thing...
It definitely will be going whole...

if the repair bill is upto £1400, think about whether you'd get that back if you just had it repaired and sold it

sold as non-runner.. £1500-2000 max maybe?

pay £1400 to repair and sell for £4000-4500 maybe?

get a few more quotes for repairs

Last edited:
The price for repairs isn't all that bad. I had exactly the same problem with my BKD 2.0 TDI, head cracked and turbo blown amongst other things that gave out at the same time. A new head casting, (from Audi), cost less than £300, it was the rebuilding that cost the money, (in excess of £1600 all in).
I would suggest asking the garage if they would let you open an account, that way you can repair your car and spread the hit. It'll be well worth it, my one was like a bag of bolts and never out of limp home mode. The head and turbo totally transformed it and I would still be running it now if it hadn't been written off by an old fella in a Fiat Panda in October. :(

As the title says, my A3 is in the garage with a repair bill more than I warrant paying...
How is best to sell it in it's condition and at least try to retain some money to use for a deposit for a replacement?
I'm looking for a project and may buy it for the right price! what year is it and do you have any pics??