JoJo's S3 Obituary

The yellow S3 you were chasing was me. It's stage 2 with stock brakes/suspension and 3mm tread tyres, so I was taking it easy to begin with.
Never driven Castle Combe before so first session was a learning curve finding the lines and seeing how my brakes and tyres held up.
After a few laps I was more confident in the car and the circuit so started to brake later, and push the corners harder, turned off ESP in session 2.

Thoroughly enjoyed both sessions, even if session 2 was with a load of S4's.
Both sessions no one passed me so must have been doing alright.

Sorry to hear about your car Jojo, at least you're OK.

Alright Dan, didn't realise your suspension and brakes were stock, you was doing pretty well for someone whose never been on the Combe before!

Are you trying to say somebody got you with a red shell and that made you spin out, or is that super mario kart. I don't know my video games that well.

Reactions: JudderMan and jojo
Alright Dan, didn't realise your suspension and brakes were stock, you was doing pretty well for someone whose never been on the Combe before!

Thanks Jojo, I thought I was just average, didn't want to push too hard and ruin what was a good day. Glad it stayed dry for our sessions though, don't think my tyres would have liked the wet track. The stock suspension and brakes held up quite well for those two sessions, was quite impressed by the car overall.

Cheers for sorting out the track passes anyway. I nearly end up buying the 3 session pack from the website before I saw your post, glad I didn't as there were some ridiculously fast cars on those other sessions.

Thanks Jojo, I thought I was just average, didn't want to push too hard and ruin what was a good day. Glad it stayed dry for our sessions though, don't think my tyres would have liked the wet track. The stock suspension and brakes held up quite well for those two sessions, was quite impressed by the car overall.

Cheers for sorting out the track passes anyway. I nearly end up buying the 3 session pack from the website before I saw your post, glad I didn't as there were some ridiculously fast cars on those other sessions.

I was driving @9/10ths just to keep up! lol Quite impressive that, 8P's are better than I though out the box, I've not driven one, and I don't intend to. The shape doesn't appeal to me unfortunately, but that's not to say I'd never buy one. So long as I never get to drive in one, I won't be tempted! :jester:

I was driving @9/10ths just to keep up! lol Quite impressive that, 8P's are better than I though out the box, I've not driven one, and I don't intend to. The shape doesn't appeal to me unfortunately, but that's not to say I'd never buy one. So long as I never get to drive in one, I won't be tempted! :jester:

I had the Nogaro blue S3 8L at stage 2 before the yellow one. Great cars but they are aging now hence why I sold mine to upgrade. Different car and engine, I felt the 8L was more raw compared to the 8P but I guess that happens with technology in cars these days. Good luck car hunting. Be interesting to see what you go for.

I would hope that a stage 2 8P would monster a car of Jo's spec around Combe.

So much more power and torque, and Combe is very much a power based track.

I would hope that a stage 2 8P would monster a car of Jo's spec around Combe.

So much more power and torque, and Combe is very much a power based track.

Not sure if you read my posts but I was taking it easy being my first time on track.

Having had both types of S3, both at stage 2 too, yeah the 8P would smash it.

I took on board what the safety briefing man said "if you crash, then you have run out of talent" and like he said several times its not a race.

Reactions: Rangie999
Alright touchy it's not a competition. Of cause I read your post, or I wouldn't have replied.

My point was more that Jo has mentioned to me he was happy to have been on the same pace as a stage 2 8P, but if you were trying he wouldn't have been close.

It's obviously not a reflection on you or your incompetence in driving, because as you've already said you were taking it easy. (Drivers excuse #117.)

Jeeeesus some of you 8P guys are touchy.

How can you tell I am being touchy from a post, merely replying to your post based on you may have missed mine. Grouchy this morning?

I'd much rather take it easy on track, learn the lines, than bin my pride and joy. There were several cars that came off during the day, and I can bet they were all chasing another car and ran out of talent.

Reactions: Alex C and MIGGZ
I had a huge rant about "action days" like Audi Driver and peoples "talent" written up, but it would make me a **** to post it so I can't be bothered.

I had a huge rant about "action days" like Audi Driver and peoples "talent" written up, but it would make me a **** to post it so I can't be bothered.

Please do - I could do with a good read and chuckle :)

Reactions: A3-Lee and Nick_sheep
Not in this thread please Jardo, this is MY thread son! :D

Regarding the out of talent remark, I wish it was, but I'm thinking overheated rear tyres on my last braking point, which caused the car to squirm, and at the speed, it all happens so quick, no amount of talent other than luck could save me. I may have made a little difference, but not much!

At the end of the day, I built her for track work, but still retain it's road manners, and it did it what it says on the tin! I had a smile like this ---> :D when she let go, all the time and effort I had put in was all coming together, she was handling well, and running smooth, running more power than ever before, but I hadn't factored in for tyres going off from the extra performance, that's all new to me, so a steep learning curve, and one that I will remember for future.

MOTORSPORT IS DANGEROUS! - FACT

Reactions: Nilz, weasle1uk, Sandra and 4 others
What tyres were you running mate?

The same tyres as my infamous drift antics a few years back! Avon ZZ3s up front and Falken 452s on the rear! I had planned to upgrade the Falken's for this event, but never got round it, as I was too busy fitting my front mount and fixing a few other lingering issues the car had! Annoyingly, she was all fixed up, everything worked, including my missing head lamp washers, and I serviced my brakes front and rear, the Haldex was serviced also...

The same tyres as my infamous drift antics a few years back! Avon ZZ3s up front and Falken 452s on the rear! I had planned to upgrade the Falken's for this event, but never got round it, as I was too busy fitting my front mount and fixing a few other lingering issues the car had! Annoyingly, she was all fixed up, everything worked, including my missing head lamp washers, and I serviced my brakes front and rear, the Haldex was serviced also...

The tyres may have not been the reason for the accident but if they are it just goes to show how important decent rubber is.

Reactions: jojo
Out on track just before she went off!

523BA6FB-D4F7-48A7-ACDE-1FCD6A79040C_zpsvc7egajr.jpg

Went to pick her up this morning!

295658CA-9D39-412E-9CD6-7734A0D1D038_zpspsxzh62n.jpg

The tow vehicle, another genuine 4x4! Lol

5E57C559-3014-4A32-AEE6-40F0196AE691_zpsqgr5ncv6.jpg

Whilst the car was at Bill's, I told him to do a smoke test on my car to see if she leaks? Here's the result! Lol

C679AE13-2300-42C8-B003-353C4276F80D_zpsomvmllps.jpg

Reactions: Mrharris2, Nilz, voorhees and 7 others
How did you feel seeing the car again? Better or worse than you remember?

Are you still in two minds as to what to do next?

How did you feel seeing the car again? Better or worse than you remember?

Are you still in two minds as to what to do next?

Sad and happy mate, sad to see her all battered up, happy to see her again! It's odd, she's been with me a third of my life, and I love my cars, even the crap ones! Not in a sexual way you understand... Lol

I have a plan, but a few things to consider, needs some thought.

Sad and happy mate, sad to see her all battered up, happy to see her again! It's odd, she's been with me a third of my life, and I love my cars, even the **** ones! Not in a sexual way you understand... Lol

Glad to hear there's a plan. It's a start...

You have all winter to lock yourself away and get your machine ready for next year... Bigger, better, stronger and faster right?

Keep us posted chap and good luck with it all.

Sad and happy mate, sad to see her all battered up, happy to see her again! It's odd, she's been with me a third of my life, and I love my cars, even the **** ones! Not in a sexual way you understand... Lol

Did you notice I had pressure washed off the mud and grass off her?

Reactions: jojo and Lavis89
So on further inspection, the shell does actually look straight, but the front chassis legs have had movement, they can be jigged straight, but I'm not sure if that's the route I want to go? Basically, this car is repairable if I want to pay and repair it! The engine looks intacts, despite dropping it's coolant, she fires up as normal just to move her about, no power steering is hard work though!

Reactions: Nilz and Vex182

Chop Chop then Jo, we're off to Germany next year...

Reactions: jojo
Really? You're not seriously thinking of repairing her are you jojo? Surely it's time to let her rest?

Reactions: jojo, Essflee and voorhees
It would be awesome to think you could possibly sort your car out jo, a lot of expense though mate, I'm sure you'd love to bring your car back to life but is it worth it.
If it was me I'd be feeling the same, I know lots of other people would say no, some people don't and will never understand the way you can feel about a car " in a non sexual way"

And I agree with a previous post, it 'is' just a piece of metal... but it's an S3, your S3, I've thrown more money than I care to think about at mine.

It's definitely a passion. Sad but true.