Radio Antenna Amplifier Location

tquattro

Reaction score
Hi,

I replaced my original RNS-D with an aftermarket Kenwood unit, but I have very poor radio reception. Lately I think even the RNS-D had weaker reception, but with the new HU I barely get 2 station using the auto-store function, and even the rds signal is too weak(station names appear with wrong/missing letters). I tried an adapter like this one, but made no difference... actually I got better reception without the antenna cable plugged into the adapter. I also tried removing the coaxial phantom power from the antenna cable that goes to the radio booster... in this way a got the best reception(I got 5station using the auto-store function), but still bad reception with corrupt rds inforamtion and missing radio signal while driving. With phantom power removed, connecting that adapter made no difference(that was expected). This leads me to two possible culprits: the radio amp is toasted( cracked amps on Audis seem to be common) or the cable is shorting somewhere(most likely at the antenna connection). I got the best reception by plugging in directly an aftermarket antenna, got 6 stations using auto-store with no rds info corruption.

Anyone knows where the radio antenna amplifier is located on 8Ls? I want to see if that's the problem and if it can be fixed/bypassed.
Or if anyone knows what the problem with the reception could be and I missed it? (google didn't helped me)

Thanks!

Edit: I have a 2002, 4-door, non-Bose,that came with an original RNS-D without TV/CD-Changer...it this matters

Last edited:
Theres 3 in the boot iirc one to each side of the window plus the one mark has mentioned

Theyre all linked into a distribution box in the left hand boot compartment

Let me know if you want any bits as pulled mine out a couple of weeks ago :)

Theres 3 in the boot iirc one to each side of the window plus the one mark has mentioned
:)

Damn, looks a bit more complicated than I thought.

The ones on the sides of the windows are in the tailgate or in the rear pillars?

Thanks for the input!

Damn, looks a bit more complicated than I thought.

The ones on the sides of the windows are in the tailgate or in the rear pillars?

Thanks for the input!

No worries mate its pretty fresh in my head

They're either side of the rear window on the boot lid behind the plastic trim

Like i said just let me know if you want any bits and will send them over as will probably end up in the bin eventually :)

Thanks for the offer, I'm not from UK and shipping would be a bit complicated but I will keep it in mind.

I found a possible culprit: when I tried to unscrew the roof antenna, it came off without the screw that goes into the antenna base. Now I have a stuck and very rusted screw in the antenna base. I think water got in the base, and it's possible that there's a short in the antenna cable/base. I didn't had time to investigate further, but will try to sort it out tomorrow.

Reactions: StaceyS3
I solved the problem with another radio antenna adapter (separator?) -see picture-, there was a problem with the first one.
zrs-sa1.jpg

It can be hooked up to the wire coming out from the pin A5 on an ISO connector( this wire should also be blue or blue+white) :
265px-ISO_10487_connector_pinout.svg.png

The blue wire from the adapter needs 12v to power up the OE antenna amplifier via the center core of the coaxial antenna cable. This adapter is needed only if the antenna amplifier is powered using the coaxial cable(this method is known as phantom power). On some Audis the amps are powered directly from the pin A5, in that case this adapter is not needed.

Edit: Here's the final look of my install
8NFneb5.jpg

lwZiJC2.jpg

Last edited: