Radio signal amplifier (how to fit?)

audi lover

Reaction score
Does anyone know how/if it's possible to fit one of these to a standard factory stereo - 'audi chorus'?
I posted a link a couple of weeks back saying about my terrible radio reception in my A3 52 plate
I've had a look and can't see any loose wires that might have been the cause...
Although this ad says 'needed when fitting an aftermarket stereo', I want to try fitting it to the standard factory stereo and seeing if the signal is, indeed, amplified
I'm a novice so step by step instructions would be grately appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC5-52-Audi-A...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3ca61f0cb5

cheers

Hi, When you say terrible radio reception and you have checked the antenna wiring it would suggest to me that the preamp in the Chorus is shot and fitting an aftermarket pre-amp will not improve the situation. You could try pulling the stereo out and just putting a piece of wire in the antenna socket, best length would be around 75cm which is a 1/4wave at 100mhz. This should provide good enough reception so long as you dont live in the sticks. This will atleast proove that your antenna is not open/short circuit. I'm not sure if you are aware but the Chorus stereos are prone to the volume problem (going to max vol every time you adjust it) This is due to an EEprom programming fault, this will eventually happen to yours so i would recommend buying a new unit on ebay that has had the program mod made.

If you go down the route you have intended to install it is nice and easy, fit the ariel cable into the female end of the preamp and then the preamp male end into the back of the stereo (RF input) Then plug the blue lead into the back of the ignition live socket. The big block that fits into the stereo.. The ignition live wire i think is yellow but you can check this with a multimeter - put the ground probe of the meter on the case of the stereo leaving everything plugged in, turn the ignition on and put the red lead of the multimeter on each connector looking for 12volts. Once found turn the ignition off and see if the voltage disappears, if it does its the one you need to plug the blue wire into.

The comment on the ebay product page 'This adaptor is commonly required on Audi's where the original radio has an integral booster for the aerial connection.' is just not valid. I have never seen a modern stereo that doesn't come with a built in RF pre-amp. Hope this helps

On Audi's the pre-amp is not in the HU it is either in the aerial base or lurking in the boot. The power for this amp is provided down the coax, this is why you need the antenna adapter when fitting an aftermarket stereo. It is not an amplifier it is an adapter that takes the conventional "power antenna" 12v feed and feeds it down the coax to power the unconventional Audi antenna amp. Fitting one to an Audi HU will do nothing

Ahh thanks Andymac i stand corrected! This then implies that the preamp in the antenna is either not receiving power or broken.

nice one - this has been amongst the best advice I've read on this site