Is It A Bad Idea Engine Mods

sickoA4

Reaction score
I have a 03 plate 1.9tdi pd130 awx engine with 135000 miles on the clock with full service history well looked after but am considering putting money into it with engine mods is this not a good idea with the amount of milage would it just be a waste of money

Depends how it's running really, get it on vag-com and sort anything it flags up then carry out some general maintenance (aka does the thermostat need replacing, how recently was the oil/filter changed, has the cambelt been done) then go crazy.

So as long as every thing is running fine n ready serviced u would say its worth doin and i shouldnt let the milage put me off

As said make sure all your major maintenance is up to date, and your running gear and brakes are all in good order first.

I picked mine up at 128k last year and it was still running all of the original control arms and suspension which I've now changed for all new. At that mileage everything is a bit worn which is something you don't want if your increasing power.

Cheers guys as you all mentioned im gunna make sure everything is running good and replace any worn parts and time to spend sum money

Mine has done146k miles and has been remapped since about 100k and touch wood no major problems

As above a remap at that mileage is not an issue as long as the engine is working OK. Depending on what map you choose and the previous life of the car the clutch may need sorting in the next 20-30K miles. Quite often the clutch may start slipping on higher mileage cars after they have been mapped. As the clutch comes to the end of it's life the clamping force and hence capacity of the clutch to transmit torque reduces.
It really does make a Good difference to the way the car drives. My 130 AWX Passat used to run 210bhp and 345Lb/ft of torque and it had done as many miles as yours.

Hi desertstorm What mods have you had done to achive 210 bhp and 345lb/ft

Hes a thread around some where.

Mine has been mapped quite a few times now,and got its last map with the bv43 turbo on 150k,alls good.

I used to run a BV43 turbo in my 1.9 Passat estate. Large FMIC and straight through exhaust system to give 207bhp and 345Lb/ft of torque it wasn't that much slower than the standard performance of the 3.0 TDI A4 I now have. Ran a best time of 14.9 seconds and 93mph at Santa Pod, not bad for a 1.9 diesel estate. Will run fine on standard 130 injectors to over 200bhp.
Ran it against several R32 golfs and I could never match them at the start with their 4wd but i started to catch them by the time we got to about 70mph.
I took pictures of my victims heres an S2000

My mate took a video of the run, not the fastest as there was a really strong headwind and the there wasn't a lot of grip on the track but you can hear the s2000 screaming away and see me dissapearing .
click on the picture to play the video.

I changed the original 5 speed box in mine to 6 to get the close ratios and a 240mm clutch instead of the 228mm 5 speed which is no good for this level of power unless you fit a Sachs SRE organic item. With the 6 speed box I was running a new 240mm standard LUK item and that was working OK.
I did map the car though to try and map out any torque spikes .

Karl.

Reactions: Spacemonkey
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…