Head and Tail light LED conversion

Arkious

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a kit exists for changing the bulbs to LEDs for the indicator (PSY24W) on the facelift xenon headlights and all the bulbs on the facelift tail lights?

The rear leds seem easier to come by but the front PSY24W is hard to find a suitable replacement as the ones on ebay look too long.

Please let me know if you can help!

I tryed to change all my rear bulb to LED replacements and i will tell you what happened in my experience.

1. the LED bulbs even though very expensive and a 'double as bright' claim was made, they were NOT as bright as standard bulbs.

2. in the indictor part of my light, it used a normal white bulb, now when the LED was in that, because the colour was alot more white like (6000k) rather than natural colour after it came out my lights, it looked the wrong colour like a bright yellow instead of an indicator colour. And also not as bright.

I think the rear lights are made just like the front ones, they have reflectors in them which are perfectly aligned to a normal bulb, so when you put LED in it, the light is going in the wrong places. Kind of like having a front HID kit in reflector lenses not made for it, it brings less output where you need it even though the bulb is in fact 'brighter'.

This experience is on the 8p2 so it may not be the same experience i guess.
But for the front why not try some chrome indicator bulbs?

I tryed to change all my rear bulb to LED replacements and i will tell you what happened in my experience.

1. the LED bulbs even though very expensive and a 'double as bright' claim was made, they were NOT as bright as standard bulbs.

2. in the indictor part of my light, it used a normal white bulb, now when the LED was in that, because the colour was alot more white like (6000k) rather than natural colour after it came out my lights, it looked the wrong colour like a bright yellow instead of an indicator colour. And also not as bright.

I think the rear lights are made just like the front ones, they have reflectors in them which are perfectly aligned to a normal bulb, so when you put LED in it, the light is going in the wrong places. Kind of like having a front HID kit in reflector lenses not made for it, it brings less output where you need it even though the bulb is in fact 'brighter'.

This experience is on the 8p2 so it may not be the same experience i guess.
But for the front why not try some chrome indicator bulbs?

Thanks for the feedback mate.

I was hoping to install LEDs just because it looks a little odd that the wing mirrors have LEDs but the front and rear don't.
This video shows LEDs installed on the right, versus incandescent bulbs on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4I9yGANMyA

I think i might still have a little fiddle and feed back if not many have done it

the rear led bulbs i used for the brake /tail lights were cheap chinese items with 50 led's in each . amazing brightness . work without errors . as for the rear indicators i made my own bulbs plus added extra using 3w amber cree leds with alloy disks as heat sinks , i then drilled holes across the lens (indicator part) and added 4 more . total cost was less than £10 for indicator mod

led rear bulbs were less than £2 for a pair , as for the front indicators i have found no such aftermarket replacement ,the bulb seems to be part of the holder as well ,when i get time i will try 3 , 3w cree leds forward facing with a 12v driver .

atm im more annoyed at the misting up of the front headlights i get everytime i wash the car or it rains.
forgot to mention its a sportback version and the indicator lens is longer than on the 3 door thats why i used more leds

I've ordered some of those LEDs Ash, so hopefully they come tomorrow and i will see how they work with errors etc. I will get a video comparison like that video of them fitted too and get it posted up.

Have you any photos of your rear modded lights hollow? Sounds like a royal pain in the *** but maybe worth it!

no not at the minute, i did them whilst i was bored (in between painting car) i could do a video tomorrow if i remember of the led rear indicators and lights in the day and then again at night . next time i take out the lights (other ideas like making the red ring light up brighter when braking ) il take some pictures.
forgot to do the rear reverse led's though need to sort some or hid reverse

cant remember alot these days but im sure its just the standard bayonet type bulb ,either way non of the after market bulbs are bright enough in full sunlight . thats why i built my own for safety issues
as the bulb is fitted on an angle normal incandescent bulbs illuminate the space fine but as led light is more directional its also poor in daylight unless viewed at the perfect angle .
the normal bulb is fitted waydown low in the lens its the chrome reflector that makes it look ok.
one led bulb wether it has more lumens output cant replace the spread of light the incandescent makes .

the ones i used are 3w cree i have a total of 7, 3w cree led's in each reflector , 3 in the original bulb fitment and 4 across the length of the lens

i have reverse LEDs in mine, just used Cree led bulb which worked fine without errors. I'm just unsure what you mean about the indicator ones and you drilling in more leds. would have just tried a single orange cree led in place of the original bulb to see what it looks like

got a link to the reverse bulbs you used ?
if you look at the vid you can see as they flash the separate points of light . the bulb holder isnt even visible its below the indicator lens on an angle so one cree bulb didnt project enough light across the clear lens in the daylight

Shelbys had those indicators in the 60s lol

LEDs arrived but they are the incorrect fitting. Been in contact with them but haven't heard anything back from them yet.