Avant water leak

Barnyavant

Reaction score
Morning all. Well I've only had my 05 a4 avant 2.0t for 3 weeks and last couple of nights we've had a few down pours and thunder storms. Well I've opened to rear passenger door and the top of the seat is wet and seams like it's leaking water from the top of the door.
Has anybody else suffered with this and how do I go about fixing this problem.
This sort of thing I would expect from a vauxhall not an audi.

[
This sort of thing I would expect from a vauxhall not an audi.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Audi are these days no better than any other car and a lot worse than most.
They trade on the name forged in the 80's and early 90's and there reliability and quality today are a myth based on some rather good marketing.
Rant over, good luck with your water issue.

We'll I have had a good look around the rubbers and there all in great condition. Luckily enough my dad has a 2008 a4 avant with only 28k on the clock so it was ideal to check out his door rubbers. And what I noticed was that the rubber around the door on my car have gone flat where on my dads car they still had there shape.

probably your problem, how does the door fit, does it fit tight & line up with the swage lines, is it twisted at all, ie does it stick out at all at the top ?

Nope, I've been all the way around it checked and double checked everything, Even done the same with my dads to see if I could find any difference between them and how they fit. That's how I found the rubber was squashed.

Well knowing audi prices it won't be cheap lol.

Not sure on this without looking at mine but you may be able to remove the seal & rotate it a bit so it's then in a different position.

To be honest with you mate I don't think you can as I think there a made to fit seal. Made to the correct shape. Not like a mk2 golf lol.

Here's a trick. Use a little sellotape to stick kitchen roll around the door seal. Shut the door and gently poor water over the door shut. Open the door to see which area is letting in the water. You should be able to adjust the fixed metal catch on the rear arch (which the door latches onto). Loosen the screws and adjust the bracket inwards. Then the catch holds the latch and door closer to the bodyshell. I've adjusted all my doors to reduce the wind noise as the rubbers squash down over time. A new door seal maybe cheaper at TPS or Euro Car Parts. Good luck fixing it!

Usually new seals needed tbh as they do go flat over time, but try the striker plate as mentioned.

Possibly worth a wee look around the seal on the roof bar fittings? I had my bars off last weekend and the interior trim has a hard plastic back so might be leaking in and running down the back of the trim.

you could allways hire a small portable smoke machine to find any leaks around seals etc.
had an old alfa with similar problem, a guy i know used one and it showed up the leaking door seal straight away otherwise very hard to find a leak as water runs down even the smallest gap and crevis.

rob

you could allways hire a small portable smoke machine to find any leaks around seals etc.
had an old alfa with similar problem, a guy i know used one and it showed up the leaking door seal straight away otherwise very hard to find a leak as water runs down even the smallest gap and crevis.

rob

If you're going to get a smoke machine, I think you need a decent strobe light too. Then put some hard trance music on the stereo and you're sorted! :yahoo: