******** - somebody hit my car

ahh ******** mate not handy.

when the council van clipped my old 110 sport passat outside my house our insurance company tried to write it off that was about 4 years ago. only damage was a broken rear tail light!!
car was a 1999 and they didint see it as a viable repair!!

I told them to cancel the claim and I went to the breakers and got a taillight for it.

A stagecoach bus tailswing clipped my old Audi 90 CD, took the headlight out, popped the bumper off the clips and dented the brushed steel strip along the top of the bumper.
Bought the car for £625 and got an offer of £750 to write it off, or give Stagecoach £50 to keep the car.
Paid my £50 off their £750 payment and spent about £10 putting the car right again, had it for a good few years after that.
The car was sold to my sister with 240,000 on it. Loved that car

Well after a bit of a faff my insurers seem to be quite good and ready to fight for what I expect. On closer inspection the headlamp is intact and it's the wing that has deformed making it sit wierd.

Need to wait until Tuesday for the next bit. :(

I expect that damage is write off territory.

A wing and a bumper, fitted and painted, at insurance prices, is inevitably going to cost more than what they see the car as being worth.

Hopefully you can fight your corner and force them to fix it.

Fully expecting an initial response of "write off" and an offer of £7.50. Dealt with a similar situation before with my mums old 40k mile XR2i that needed a bumper. Sourced a 2nd hand rear bumper and they paid Ford to repaint it for us and fit a new pin stripe, did take 3 months of arguements.

Current plan is source a correctly coloured 2nd hand wing and get a S4 bumper and have it painted to match.

Last edited:
Yeah that's definitely write off. Seen more expensive cars before with cat d and similar mileage. I used to deal with cars either stolen/recovered or cat d and some of the write offs were simply stupid. They will count around 200 for bumper spray + 100 for wing spray and cost of parts. Probably around 3-400. Plus cost of fitting 4-6 hours at 50 quid each. So for them it doesn't make much sense. If you can take a hit just get it fixed yourself.

Not looking good. Just had quote back £830 and I need to supply a bumper.

Repair wing and realign
Realign bonnet
Strip bumper
Modify bumper for intercooler
Paint

Think I will be having a monumental scrap on my hands with this one :(

Can't you just get used body parts, have them sprayed and fit yourself? Repairing the wing doesn't make sense when you can get one for few quid.

It's down to the insurance saddly. They won't entertain me sourcing and repairing myself. I can supply the bits but bodyshop has to do the work.

Ahh so that's quote from insurance company.

If they write it off can you not just buy it back (do a deal on the settlement) and use that money to fix it yourself and have some left in your back pocket? I understand that the car will then be classified as a write off but on cars of these age that's not such an issue imho.

Gets better by the day. Had a call off the other insurers asking me about replacing my mirror. I explained the mirror was fine which was promptly met by "oh so no damage then" Had to explain the extents of the damage again and send the pics off. 10 mins later they call me back and want to view the car as my damage claim doesn't match that detailed by their insured.

Did you get photos of the damage on the other car at the time? If they come to see your car tell them you want your hourly rate recovered for any loss of earnings you will be out of pocket for

I've never seen the other car. It was only the note left on my screen.

Chap came out yesterday and looked at it, asked me about my injuries, ran through the whole thing AGAIN and finally seemed to accept things. Said he shouldn't hold things up and he'd talk to the bodyshop and then likely just approve the repair. Have a facelift front bumper complete with fogs on its way to me now.

As I said to the insurance guy, I'm not interested in gaining from this I just want my car sorting. Hoping i can just get everything sorted and the car back on the go again.

Hopefully they will be quick to approve it then.

Yeah nobody should gain from any accident, but you also shouldnt lose out

One tip I heard from someone in the trade is that they must eventually come to an agreement with you BUT that if you do not agree the payout is the total value of the car, i.e. you take it as compensation and not the value of the car then they cannot total loss your car. This is because they have not made a total payment for it. This has 2 benefits, no buy back fee and no CAT C or D on the log book.

Always worth giving it a try, just write a letter explaining that the you would accept the payment (always the 3rd offer) only as compensation and then you would repair the car yourself. This also only works prior to court, if it goes to court then you have to have a bill for the repair since you will be trying to recover losses and not argue compensation, court wont deal with that.

If they pay 100% value of the car (which they won't), they can do whatever they want with the car because they own it from the same moment.

Looks like there is no need for dramas on this. just had confirmation from the bodyshop that they have received verbal approval to carry out the repairs. Just waiting on the paperwork and the old girl will be going in.

Just as well as this arrived earlier :)

Hmm. Did you get it off ebay? I'm trying to locate the rear one in LY7W but no luck so far

Was it just a bumper or the seller is breaking it? Any link?