left passanger door wont open

djrobinmac

Reaction score
hi all, all of a sudden my back door wont open, it has child locks on it and now wont open from outside now, my mate grabbed handle when i opened it the other ngt but it worked cpl times afer that ngt but nothing now, any ideas would b greatfull

culd b da wire broked

Reactions: Audi Dynamik
Do you have VCDS?

Likely to be wiring or controller related. The B8 has control modules in each door so VCDS would display the fault logged with the module.

Do you have VCDS?

Likely to be wiring or controller related. The B8 has control modules in each door so VCDS would display the fault logged with the module.

I agree, the door holding shenanigans could be coincidence. It could be the door controller - it may be the central locking on that door is not actuating. You're assuming the door is unlocking and the fault is with handle. it would definitely be worth checking before you start pulling off the door card. If you don't have easy access to VCDS you could just try locking and unlocking a few times, listen carefully to the lock/unlock actuating on the good door then repeat on the iffy door. If they sound the same then the controller and locking may be ok and the release mechanism has a mechanical problem.

Either way the door card will have to come off and that is a PITA with a door stuck closed - the bench seat will have to come out and be prepared to have to sacrifice the card. It's not the easiest thing to get off at best of times without damaging it, the clips are supposed to break but Audi in their wisdom have made the door card clips of stronger plastic than the clip retainers on the door card itself

Last edited:
Reactions: djrobinmac
Depends if the child lock is microswitch controlled or mechanised as per most, either way as above, door card has to come of.

it has opened! pure weird tho i was scared to close n lock again haha 3/4 times so far so good so av tried to turn off child locks but it dont seem to work am turnin them with a screwdriver and it clicks a little down but thats all far they go but it still wont open from inside

it has opened! pure weird tho i was scared to close n lock again haha 3/4 times so far so good so av tried to turn off child locks but it dont seem to work am turnin them with a screwdriver and it clicks a little down but thats all far they go but it still wont open from inside

A screwdriver won't work. The child lock is actually a lock barrel (I think). Use the metal emergency key from your remote fob. At least that's what it says to use in the book.

Last edited:

Thinking about this again, check the user guide. There is a manual door lock, only visible when the door is open, that allows you to lock the door if the central locking fails. It prevents the outside handle from opening the door. If you engage it on the rear doors with child proof catches active you have to use the internal door release AND the external handle to open the door. One after the other. it looks a bit like the rotating stud that enables the child proof catch.

Could someone (your door holding mate) have tried to turn off the child lock but instead engaged the manual door lock? That would have stopped the external handle working so that the only way to open the door would be to try the internal handle (which wouldn't work because of the child proof lock) then try the external handle straight away. It would open then.

Maybe that manual locking mechanism is worn or is half engaged causing all of this.

Just an idea.

Last edited: